Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question for experts about classic UK Championship

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A question for experts about classic UK Championship

    I´ve noticed that the classic UK format was :

    -All knockout stages, best-of-17 (8/9)
    -Final, best-of-31 (many formats, mainly 7/7/7/10 and 7/8/7/9)

    My question is:

    -Why the final was best-of-31 instead best-of-33 (8/8/8/9) that is the natural format for 4 session matches? Why did they choose the best-of-31 and then use weird formats and some 7 frames only session?

    PS: I wish UK or one Chinese tournament revert to this format

  • #2
    Traditionally the UK Championships were second only to the World Championships.In order to emphasise that it was secondary though all the two session matches were slightly shorter than the Worlds Championships two session matches - UK 17 frames,World 19 frames. Similarly the four session UK final was the same length as the World semi-final (which later became 33 frames).


    "You're not standing in my line of sight,but you are standing in my line of thought".

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tim65 View Post
      Traditionally the UK Championships were second only to the World Championships.
      Good that you remark "traditionally", because right now UK Championship is like Grand Prix or Welsh Open


      Originally posted by Tim65 View Post
      In order to emphasise that it was secondary though all the two session matches were slightly shorter than the Worlds Championships two session matches - UK 17 frames,World 19 frames.
      Yep, fully right, and I think it was a smart move made by snooker authorities.

      The question is , will it mean that sooner or later World Championship qualifying or 1st round will be reduced to best-of-17?

      Originally posted by Tim65 View Post
      Similarly the four session UK final was the same length as the World semi-final (which later became 33 frames).
      Yep, but if the world championship final was best-of-35; the important here is not the world championship semi (whatever best-of-31, as at first, or best-of-33, as later) if not the WCfinal length. Then if UK final must be less than best-of-35, then both are good (best-of-31 or best-of-33), and best-of-33 it seems more logical as I explained in the opening post

      Comment

      Working...
      X