Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 China Championship Qualifiers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2017 China Championship Qualifiers

    Just saw that the qualifiers for the China Championship already start tomorrow despite the tournament being held only in August.
    One should keep an eye on this since it will be the third biggest tournament of this season. Of course all big names are here. The matches of Mark Selby, John Higgins, Ding Junhui and Liang Wenbo will be held over in China though.
    Ronnie O'Sullivan and Graeme Dott are already guaranteed spots in the final rounds, cause their qualifying opponents withdrew.

  • #2
    2017 China Championship Qualifiers

    Yes and Sunday night in Preston won't be worth bothering with now as ROS won't be playing ?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by thommo335 View Post
      Yes and Sunday night in Preston won't be worth bothering with now as ROS won't be playing ?
      He played the other day in the Riga......

      Comment


      • #4
        Good to see, that even the qualifiers are Best-of-9 here.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JimMalone View Post
          Good to see, that even the qualifiers are Best-of-9 here.
          But at the same time disappointing that the matches are not longer, considering this event has one of the biggest prize funds of the season. It has the same format and the same calendar slot as the World Open last season, so I don't even see the point of pretending this is a different tournament.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Odrl View Post
            But at the same time disappointing that the matches are not longer, considering this event has one of the biggest prize funds of the season. It has the same format and the same calendar slot as the World Open last season, so I don't even see the point of pretending this is a different tournament.
            I think for qualifiers Best-of-9 is okay. It should be longer in the main rounds though. Also the prize money and ranking points to gain are higher, therefore at least all top players also compete this time.
            On the other hand this just certifies that the matches in the main event should be longer. Best-of-11 for the first two rounds, Best-of-15 for the 3rd round and quarterfinals, Best-of-19 for the semifinals, Best-of-25 for the final. That would be a nice format.

            But Best-of-9 for the qualifiers is at least better than Best-of-7-

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JimMalone View Post
              I think for qualifiers Best-of-9 is okay. It should be longer in the main rounds though. Also the prize money and ranking points to gain are higher, therefore at least all top players also compete this time.
              On the other hand this just certifies that the matches in the main event should be longer. Best-of-11 for the first two rounds, Best-of-15 for the 3rd round and quarterfinals, Best-of-19 for the semifinals, Best-of-25 for the final. That would be a nice format.

              But Best-of-9 for the qualifiers is at least better than Best-of-7-
              I agree with that of course. It's just that a couple of us got our hopes up last season when this event was announced, thinking we might get a longer format, perhaps even matches over multiple sessions. But of course any event with matches longer than best-of-7 is a very welcome addition to the calendar.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Odrl View Post
                I agree with that of course. It's just that a couple of us got our hopes up last season when this event was announced, thinking we might get a longer format, perhaps even matches over multiple sessions. But of course any event with matches longer than best-of-7 is a very welcome addition to the calendar.
                Yeah, I hoped that as well. But I expected it only half-heartedly cause that would have meant they would have to made it a bigger event than the UK Championship and I doubt they are ready for this yet. Maybe in 1 or 2 years they could enlengthen the format at the China Championship. I think Snooker definitely needs one more event with longer matches aside from the World Championship.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Anybody knows where to find a full breakdown of the ranking points (and prize money) of this tournament? Couldn't find it on worldsnooker.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JimMalone View Post
                    Anybody knows where to find a full breakdown of the ranking points (and prize money) of this tournament? Couldn't find it on worldsnooker.
                    Not out yet, been looking myself
                    Saw someone on twitter asking WS when the schedule will be published, no response last time I looked.
                    Last edited by DeanH; 3rd June 2017, 08:50 PM.
                    Up the TSF!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Any one know why Liam Highfield hasn't played in these 2 qualifiers ?
                      Neil

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Michael Georgiou stuns Kyren Wilson with a 5-1 victory.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          He has been putting in the hours down the club has Michael , practice pays off . Hopefully will go on to big and better things this season .
                          Neil

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Next bitter defeat for Ricky Walden - 0-5 to Ian Preece.
                            Barry Hawkins trails John Astley 1-4.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by neil taperell View Post
                              Any one know why Liam Highfield hasn't played in these 2 qualifiers ?
                              Sadly because of his Crohns disease flaring up

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X