2017 Shanghai Masters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    ROS said in an interview recently he likes breaking left-handed as he gets better "right-hand side" on the cue ball for the break off shot
    I've noticed that his left handed stance isn't quite as low as his normal right handed stance, cue isn't as parallel to the bed of the table so he's striking down more when playing left handed and therefore gets more spin.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by Ronnie's tip View Post
      I'd love to know the stats on Selby's deciding frame success rate. It must be insane.
      I'd like to know the stats on the length of time he leaves the arena before those deciding frames, and what exactly he does. He ain't going to the bog that's for certain.
      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
        Selby again seems vulnerable in the early rounds, but survives another decider to beat Alan McManus 5-4.
        He must have won at least 90% of last frame deciders in his career.

100% for his tenacity and 10% for his entertainment value.
        John Lennon : Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
          I'd like to know the stats on the length of time he leaves the arena before those deciding frames, and what exactly he does. He ain't going to the bog that's for certain.
          Where else is he going to go?

Comment

Originally Posted by cattermole View Post
            I've been in Spain for many years, so, unfortunately missed much of his early career. Catching up on YouTube isn't the same.
            This was more mid-career meltdown and was disturbing to watch to be honest - did you also miss "I'm only here for the school fees" or were you treated to thAat particular display?

Comment

He's played 233 deciders won 144 for a 61.8% record. Which isn't too shabby but not the best.

Comment

Originally Posted by acpc89 View Post
                He's played 233 deciders won 144 for a 61.8% record. Which isn't too shabby but not the best.
                Although Selby has completely transformed himself in the past few years. Not many years ago Selby had reached World Number One but that wasn’t by winning many tournaments. He regularly made it to quarters and semis and even finals but didn’t win much. Now he’s a winning machine.

And I think Selby has a better rate in deciders than Hendry but Ronnie has a better rate. That’s what I think I heard in the commentary.
                Last edited by Selbyjustbegun; 15 November 2017, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Lots of 5-0 results in this tournament for some reason. :smile:

I was looking forward to Higgins-Zhou today, but it wasn't really much of a contest. Zhou made some mistakes and was punished very heavily, and Higgins never looked like missing when he was in the balls. That maximum attempt in the first frame came pretty close as well. Was it shown on TV? If not, I can tell you that he had the yellow on the baulk cushion and the blue on the side cushion, between the middle and the green pocket. He managed to knock the blue into play from the green and leave himself on the brown, but position wasn't easy from there and the white finished in the middle pocket. It almost stayed on the edge, which would have given him a shot at the blue into the yellow pocket. Oh well, maybe next time... :smile:

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                    Lots of 5-0 results in this tournament for some reason. :smile:
                    I’d say that makes the next round more interesting.

Comment

Originally Posted by Selbyjustbegun View Post
                      Although Selby has completely transformed himself in the past few years. Not many years ago Selby had reached World Number One but that wasn’t by winning many tournaments. He regularly made it to quarters and semis and even finals but didn’t win much. Now he’s a winning machine.

And I think Selby has a better rate in deciders than Hendry but Ronnie has a better rate. That’s what I think I heard in the commentary.
                      Yeah hendry is slightly worse at 114 wins from 223 so a 60% record and Ronnie is ahead with 130 from 208 with a 62.5% record.

Obviously both hendry and Ronnie have played less deciders in their careers due to been able to close matches out quickly or beat their opponents more easily . But it is interesting to see Ronnie with a decent record when some people think he has no nerve in deciders.

Comment

The list of players remaining is very interesting. So many top players still competing:

Mark Selby
                        Ronnie O’Sullivan
                        Judd Trump
                        Mark Williams
                        Mark Allen
                        Luca Brecel
                        Marco Fu
                        John Higgins
                        Stephen Maguire

Comment

Yeah hendry is slightly worse at 114 wins from 223 so a 60% record and Ronnie is ahead with 130 from 208 with a 62.5% record.

Obviously both hendry and Ronnie have played less deciders in their careers due to been able to close matches out quickly or beat their opponents more easily . But it is interesting to see Ronnie with a decent record when some people think he has no nerve in deciders.
                          That does surprise me with Selby and last frame deciders, as I thought it would be much higher. I wonder if you stripped away the first few years and based it on the
                          last 5 years, I wonder what his % would be?

be?
                          John Lennon : Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by shmeeko69 View Post
                            That does surprise me with Selby and last frame deciders, as I thought it would be much higher. I wonder if you stripped away the first few years and based it on the
                            last 5 years, I wonder what his % would be?

be?
                            Judging by the last 5 seasons I think Selby is around 69% win record including this season which is 89% so far. But he has had 2 seasons at 58% . Not looked at Ronnie or hendry as their last 5 seasons are slightly different in terms of careers . But I'd think Ronnie would be similar to be honest .

But the numbers for Selby just shows you how much he has had to scrap it to get through. Already 40 more deciders in his career than Ronnie.

Comment

Judging by the last 5 seasons I think Selby is around 69% win record including this season which is 89% so far. But he has had 2 seasons at 58% . Not looked at Ronnie or hendry as their last 5 seasons are slightly different in terms of careers . But I'd think Ronnie would be similar to be honest .

But the numbers for Selby just shows you how much he has had to scrap it to get through. Already 40 more deciders in his career than Ronnie.
                              It’s also because he fights and fights and fights even when he has fallen very behind and is on the brink of losing, he often still manages to take it to a decider, and even manage to win a lot of the times.

Comment

Originally Posted by Selbyjustbegun View Post
                                It’s also because he fights and fights and fights even when he has fallen very behind and is on the brink of losing, he often still manages to take it to a decider, and even manage to win a lot of the times.
                                True. Another random stat. 17% of Ronnie matches have gone to a decider where as Selby is at 22%. Quite a big difference really. But am sure Ronnie white washes is probably better than Selbys.

Quite mad when you think 1 in 4.5 matches for Selby goes to a decider and he wins 61% of them so.

Starting to feel like a book maker looking at these odds!

Comment

Working...
                                X