2017 UK Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
    I don't think he particularly cares about any tournament other than the WC. If he wins at the crucible, he will go down as an all time great given the rest of his resume. If he doesn't, he'll go down as a poor man's Jimmy White. It's probably not fair to judge a player mostly based on how he does in one tournament, but that's the way it is.
    He is nowhere near Jimmy!!

Comment

What happened in that Ding match? He made 6 breaks of 50+ in 5 frames and then lost 5 frames on a spin and it doesn´t look like Fernandez has scorede heavily. Strange. Personally I think he will stand higher than JW no matter what he does for the rest of his career, but his performances are strange at times.
      ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
      "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Originally Posted by Rane View Post
        What happened in that Ding match? He made 6 breaks of 50+ in 5 frames and then lost 5 frames on a spin and it doesn´t look like Fernandez has scorede heavily. Strange. Personally I think he will stand higher than JW no matter what he does for the rest of his career, but his performances are strange at times.
        May be he hasn't fully recovered from conjunctivitis and was affecting his vision at the latter stages of the match. Or he went into a mental melt down!

Comment

Originally Posted by sealer View Post
          He is nowhere near Jimmy!!
          Different eras, but he's won more ranking tournaments than Jimmy and has 2 UKs to White's 1. If he wins the WC he will definitely be ahead of White on the all time list of greats.

Comment

Why do some players come to the table with their cue in a carrying case? Then after the match they take a few minutes to put their cue back in the case. Aren't there dressing rooms or lockers where they can keep the case during a match? O'Sullivan never does that. Win or lose, he always quickly leaves the table are just with his cue and chalk.

Comment

Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
              Why do some players come to the table with their cue in a carrying case? Then after the match they take a few minutes to put their cue back in the case. Aren't there dressing rooms or lockers where they can keep the case during a match? O'Sullivan never does that. Win or lose, he always quickly leaves the table are just with his cue and chalk.
              I put this down to when the PTCs arrived with their short format and roll on roll off matches. Also all the extra extensions some prefer to carry the case, some add the mini to the butt and carry it out like that.
              ROS always wants to leave the arena quickly
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I couldn't believe the scores when I just looked now, was sure I saw it 5-1 before.

The match scores aren't on ws website yet but wonder how many points he scored after that.

I had great round one accumulater on today and tomorrow am, all the rest going to plan....always one.

Oh well, someone's section has got a bit easier anyway.

Hope ding plays better at the masters, I was looking forward to seeing him play next week as well.

Comment

Higgins through 6 -1 He played solid without beeing impressive.
                  ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                  "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Ding's result is very suspicious to me. I don't want to believe he deliberately threw the match but hell...to lead 5-1 and having hammered the guy in front of you for 5 frames on the trott....only to lose like a clown the next 5 ?? Come on.....Very, very weird...
                    Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Originally Posted by Rane View Post
                      Personally, i dont think hes fit to tie JWs shoelaces. Hes not even fit to be put into the same sentence as JW, hence i'll end the sentence*
                      Blown away

Comment

Ding is a weird one for me. He's so, so good, yet it almost feels like his career is going to be symbolized by him having 3 major obstacles which will always be in his way; Sheffield (overcome finally), Ronnie O'Sullivan (maybe overcome?) and Mark Selby. There's always something in his way. Hopefully watching Yan Bingtao step up will give him a kick up the backside. Ronnie + Hendry's discussion at the CoC makes me think he doesn't want it enough?

Maybe i'm just picking an opportunistic moment to 'pick' on him though. I'd love him to start winning majors regularly.

Comment

Ding losing from 5-1 vs Fernandez has to be one of the most absurd snooker results in the history of this sport. Was Fernandez the one who got a few months of suspension like last year for gambling on some matches? (edit: yes found the thread, I had started it indeed )

btw found this on fb, I somehow have some recollection of the cancer news, didn't now about the rest.

Lianne Cpfc Robertson Well done babes. So incredibly proud of my other half. Those of you that dont know Leo. Hes an old school pro. First turned pro in 1995. Had a tuff time. Had cancer and had to take time out the game. Then broke his ankle very serverly n still has metal pins n walks with a constant limp. . .n the last 7wks has had a slipped disc n major back problems. In soooo much pain and nearly pulled out. I am extremely proud of what he achieved today. Best result of his career. He showed a great deal of heart and a great attitude. Well done Leo. Bring on Noppon

ps tnx Odrl for the preview, was looking forward to it.
                          Last edited by motorhead; 29 November 2017, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ronnie's tip View Post
                            Ronnie + Hendry's discussion at the CoC makes me think he doesn't want it enough?
                            What did they say about him?

Comment

Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
                              What did they say about him?
                              Basically said he seems happier being a superstar celebrity in China, rather than winning the worlds.

Comment

No one can say he hasn't done a lot already but it's just that more is wanted or expected of him bus here in the UK and back in his home.

Not fit to tie JW shoes is a bit harsh, second ever youngest winner of a ranking event while not speaking the language remember. 5 titles in one season. Had a chance to beat Ronnie's century tally if he plays ten more years.

I agree he is the most hot/cold guy around and a few years ago did seem to give up too easily and look not bothered but no one knows what is inside his head.

I think he has a chance of breaking his crucible curse now after making the finals when the pressure was totally off, and I think he knows the crowd would love him to win.

He is definitely in the can't beat Ronnie club for me but so was Murphy till the other week. I think Ronnie was on pot away from winning that match so he got lucky imo.

I am gutted for Ding and for myself as would have an nice Xmas bonus today once a few more wins come in.

Comment

Working...
                                X