Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
    So, only the final remains...

Of the 64 possible combinations we had at the start of the tournament, I think it's fair to say an Allen-Wilson final wasn't anywhere near the top of most likely finals, although it's by no means a huge surprise either. Both players have already contested major finals this season. Wilson actually beat Allen 6-5 in the semi-finals of the World Open, before losing to an inspired Ding Junhui in the final. He also beat Allen in the semi-finals of the Shanghai Masters when he won it in 2015, and of course over three sessions in the World Championship a couple of seasons ago, so he definitely has a slight edge when it comes to their previous meetings on the big stage. To continue with Wilson's achievements this season, he also contested the final of the short-format English Open against O'Sullivan, and there too he was unlucky to run into an opponent in such great form. Today he faces someone who is a less-prolific winner and not such a veteran of these major finals, but the gap in experience is still there to some extent.

Allen has talked about wanting to win one of these major events before the end of his career, which I suspect is a much more modest goal than he would have set himself a few years ago. But the reality is that he is in his 30s now and hasn't really won all that much, so this is a fantastic chance for him. His first final of the season was against Selby in the International Championship, where he was the underdog and managed to make a match of it, but today he would probably be considered the favourite on paper. He dominated his matches against O'Sullivan and Higgins with some good scoring and solid tactical play, so there is no real weakness in his game this week.

I think Allen will probably get a couple of frames ahead in the early stages of this final, but of course the match is long enough for momentum shifts to happen, and I think Wilson's battling qualities will come into play at some point. Ding and O'Sullivan never really allowed him to play himself into the match in his first two finals this season, but Allen doesn't really have the same kind of killer instinct as them, so I think this will be a closer match. That said, Allen did win his two World Open finals very comfortably, so he can be a great front-runner if he senses his opponent can't really hurt him. I'm hoping for a 10-9 either way at midnight, but my feeling is that Allen will prevail. Allen to win 10-8. :smile:
    chatting with my buddy last night and I actually thought the other way, Wilson will take an early lead and then Allen will come back
    I hate predicting, as I am often so wrong....
    so everyone go with Odrl, ok?! :biggrin:
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by Rane View Post
      Congratulations. This means that we´ll have a tripple crown tournamentwinner tomorrow.

did you mean to be so obvious? :wink:
      I think you missed the word "new" :biggrin:
      It is refreshing isn't it to have a new name on the trophy
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Allen is very strong at moment so i'm going for him to win 10-6
        Although i really like watching Wilson play so hoping he can turn it on early and win 10-5
        Sitting on the fence here waiting for splinters

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          chatting with my buddy last night and I actually thought the other way, Wilson will take an early lead and then Allen will come back
          I hate predicting, as I am often so wrong....
          so everyone go with Odrl, ok?! :biggrin:
          I'm usually completely wrong in my predictions as well, but I did get the Trump implosion yesterday right. Anyone else notice Judd's face as that treble went in? Daggers.

Comment

• Trump's words:"
            Trump said: “It’s disappointing. I think I was the better player, it’s tough to take. Kyren got away with missing balls in every single frame. When someone gets away with so many shots you’ve got to take a chance because you can’t rely on him giving you an easy chance, so I wanted to grab the match by the scruff of the neck.

“When it’s not your day it’s not your day. When you know the run is like that then it might be Kyren’s week.”
            Such a common interview of Trump after losing-me me me, i was better but somehow i lost!
            This man will never learn how to talk as a champion unfortunately.

Comment

• Originally Posted by kibo View Post
              Trump's words:"

Such a common interview of Trump after losing-me me me, i was better but somehow i lost!
              But there's a big difference in "you’ve got to take a chance" and being totally suicidal in your shot choice !

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

did you mean to be so obvious? :wink:
                I think you missed the word "new" :biggrin:
                It is refreshing isn't it to have a new name on the trophy
                Could be so ;-) LOL
                ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                  I'm usually completely wrong in my predictions as well, but I did get the Trump implosion yesterday right. Anyone else notice Judd's face as that treble went in? Daggers.
                  Missed it, busy falling backwards off my chair laughing
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                    But there's a big difference in "you’ve got to take a chance" and being totally suicidal in your shot choice !
                    Yes that was a melt down shot.
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• For the first time since the 2015 World Championship we will have a new winner of a Triple Crown Event. Overall either Mark Allen or Kyren Wilson will become the 32th player to win one of Snooker's three most prestigious events since the so-called start of the modern era in 1969 (and if we would set the start point at the Crucible Era with the 1976/77 season we still would have the same amount of champions). While I'm a bit disappointed that John Higgins lost in the semifinals it's also intriguing to have one of the most important finals contested between two players who are among the worlds best, but haven't entered the illustrous circle yet. But who of them will make the final step?

Before the semifinals I said that I had the feeling that this was finally Mark Allen's time. And I stay with this. Since nine years Allen, while not among the very elite, is consistently among the world's best 12 players. And while I think it's rather unlikely he will ever become World Champion I feel that a win at the Masters would be quite fitting to reward his career. He has played great over the whole weak, being a force when in the balls. This has always been the strongest aspect of his game, while it's one of the weaknesses of Kyren Wilson. The Englishman will have to use his chances well and maybe should look for making a battle out of the frames, cause I don't think he can outscore Allen. So maybe he should play the "clever" shot even more often and not be to aggressive, but force Allen to go for long pots, cause the Northern Irish Man usually isn't the most reliable long potter.

Wilson has a good mind on his shoulders and as Odrl pointed out he doesn't have to play Ding or O'Sullivan this time, so I think he will keep it a closer match and I also think that he himself will have more believe than in the finals of the World Open and the English Open that he can really beat this opponent, even if Allen will earn an early lead. Contrary it will be interesting to see how Allen, who usually is quite a relaxed player, copes with the pressure of being the favorite in one of the most important matches of his career.

I still go with Allen to win 10-7 or 10-8.

Comment

• Originally Posted by kibo View Post
                        Trump's words:
                        “It’s disappointing. I think I was the better player, it’s tough to take. Kyren got away with missing balls in every single frame. When someone gets away with so many shots you’ve got to take a chance because you can’t rely on him giving you an easy chance, so I wanted to grab the match by the scruff of the neck.

“When it’s not your day it’s not your day. When you know the run is like that then it might be Kyren’s week.”
                        Does he not realise that these sort of comments make him look thick as well as childish. Grow up Judd and try practising more, it did Hendry's luck the world of good.

-
                        The fast and the furious,
                        The slow and labourious,
                        All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                          Missed it, busy falling backwards off my chair laughing
                          I take it your not a fan then? Someone posted on facebook that they were watching with Peter Ebdon, who had some choice words for Judd when it went in. Facebook though, so it could be completely fictional.

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                            Does he not realise that these sort of comments make him look thick as well as childish. Grow up Judd and try practising more, it did Hendry's luck the world of good.

-
                            Indeed...Judd needs to grow up fast if he doesn't want to be remembered as a not-quite.

Onwards to the Final...looking forward to this one...could be great with both players eager to get their first Masters title.

:snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
                              Contrary it will be interesting to see how Allen, who usually is quite a relaxed player, copes with the pressure of being the favorite in one of the most important matches of his career.
                              So far it looks to me that he has a bit trouble to cope with the pressure.

Comment

• Guy with the phone, Nice one Kyren.

-
                                The fast and the furious,
                                The slow and labourious,
                                All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Working...
                                X