Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey
    replied
    Bingham has also made a maximum break...

Leave a comment:

• JimMalone
    replied
    Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
    They're not even sticking to that misguided policy here though, because Higgins should have been the choice according to the rankings, plus he is playing a better-known opponent than Robertson is. I don't know... Obviously the time zone works out better for Australian viewers, but I assume there isn't actually any live coverage of the event there, so that shouldn't really be a consideration.

Anyway, it just so happens that Craigie is playing good stuff in this event so far, so it looks like it's still going to be quite an interesting match. :smile:
    Yeah, I don't know what they thought. Maybe that Robertson would attract more younger or female viewers. At least you can be pretty sure though that they'll show Ding's match in the afternoon.

Leave a comment:

• Odrl
    replied
    Very few mistakes from Selby in the balls this morning, a couple of nice steals from behind after Woollaston had broken down. Tough to see comeback from here...

Leave a comment:

• Odrl
    replied
    Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
    I think they sadly always opt for the most popular names to satisfy their fans and not for what could be a good match. It's the same in tennis. There often are some good first- or second-rounders. But when I hope to see some matches between two good, but not star players like for instance Berdych - Gasquet or Ferrer - Gulbis they would if they played at the same time always show Federer - Young or Nadal - Kamke instead, from which you could be sure they would be really one-sided.
    Yeah, this policy has frustrated me for more than a decade, and it's become even worse in recent years with flat draws and 64 players at the venue. It means the vast majority of matches in the early rounds are between a top player and an outsider, and that quite often makes for an unexciting and boring match.

They're not even sticking to that misguided policy here though, because Higgins should have been the choice according to the rankings, plus he is playing a better-known opponent than Robertson is. I don't know... Obviously the time zone works out better for Australian viewers, but I assume there isn't actually any live coverage of the event there, so that shouldn't really be a consideration.

Anyway, it just so happens that Craigie is playing good stuff in this event so far, so it looks like it's still going to be quite an interesting match. :smile:

Leave a comment:

• JimMalone
    replied
    Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
    Meanwhile, the TV matches for the morning session have been selected... It's Selby-Woollaston and Robertson-Craigie. I know I complain about this a lot, but how is Robertson's match a more exciting prospect than Higgins-Lisowski or Bingham-Walden? Sigh...

One would think it will be Ding-Xiao and Allen-Yan in the afternoon, but nothing would surprise me at this point. Maybe we'll get Dott-Wakelin instead. :wink:
    I think they sadly always opt for the most popular names to satisfy their fans and not for what could be a good match. It's the same in tennis. There often are some good first- or second-rounders. But when I hope to see some matches between two good, but not star players like for instance Berdych - Gasquet or Ferrer - Gulbis they would if they played at the same time always show Federer - Young or Nadal - Kamke instead, from which you could be sure they would be really one-sided.
    Last edited by JimMalone; 4 April 2018, 07:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• peejaytwo
    replied
    Switched on this morning an Woolaston was 70-11 in front.
    First words from the commentator were 'this young mans definately up for this today'
    Why spout such rubbish, on what day is he not gonna be up for it?

Leave a comment:

• Odrl
    replied
    Good stuff from Selby so far this morning, back to back total clearances of 135 to lead 2-1. :smile:

Leave a comment:

• Odrl
    replied
    Meanwhile, the TV matches for the morning session have been selected... It's Selby-Woollaston and Robertson-Craigie. I know I complain about this a lot, but how is Robertson's match a more exciting prospect than Higgins-Lisowski or Bingham-Walden? Sigh...

One would think it will be Ding-Xiao and Allen-Yan in the afternoon, but nothing would surprise me at this point. Maybe we'll get Dott-Wakelin instead. :wink:

Leave a comment:

• narl
    replied
    Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
    Anyway I thought Ronnie said he wouldn't be playing at this year's World's OR was that just more hot air from the buffoon
    I heard at his press conferences the press are given wellie boots in order to wade through the BS he spouts.

Leave a comment:

• kibo
    replied
    Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
    Am I right in thinking Ronnie could have overtaken Selby in the rankings if he'd won this tournament and the world champs? A big ask, as Jim said, but if so, I wonder how much thought he gave it.

-
    He didnt look like he was in the mood for the game, so i dont think he will care much for this deafeat.

Leave a comment:

• PatBlock
    replied
    He still can overtake Selby if he wins the World Championship.

Right now Selby is at 1.431.275
    and Ronnie on 900.250.

But the points of the 2016 World Championship will come off at the end of the season. Then it is:
    Selby 1.101.275 (he loses 330.000)
    O'Sullivan 878.250 (loses only 22.000)

....So the difference is just 223.025, but the winner of the World Championship this year gets 425.000.
    Ah I see, thanks for that. Very interesting.

It may have been a bad last test for another player. But I don't think Ronnie has any problems with self confidence.
    Oh I'm not so sure about that, everyone has doubts, even Ronnie.

-

Leave a comment:

• JimMalone
    replied
    You could well be right. On the other hand, loosing by such a margin to a player ranked 70 places below him in the first round of the last major tournament before the World Championship, may not be the best confidence builder. He will certainly be disappointed, that's for sure.

-
    It may have been a bad last test for another player. But I don't think Ronnie has any problems with self confidence.

Leave a comment:

• crocodile
    replied
    Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
    Anyway I thought Ronnie said he wouldn't be playing at this year's World's OR was that just more hot air from the buffoon
    Well, he's got to turn up - that vexed question of those school fees just refuses to go away ....

Leave a comment:

• JimMalone
    replied
    Am I right in thinking Ronnie could have overtaken Selby in the rankings if he'd won this tournament and the world champs? A big ask, as Jim said, but if so, I wonder how much thought he gave it.

-
    He still can overtake Selby if he wins the World Championship.

Right now Selby is at 1.431.275
    and Ronnie on 900.250.

But the points of the 2016 World Championship will come off at the end of the season. Then it is:
    Selby 1.101.275 (he loses 330.000)
    O'Sullivan 878.250 (loses only 22.000)

So the difference is just 223.025, but the winner of the World Championship this year gets 425.000.
    Last edited by JimMalone; 3 April 2018, 06:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jrc750
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X