2018 World Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by s.h442 View Post
    Well done to Mark Williams its incredible that he is World Champion at 43. The class of 92 are still going strong but I don't agree with John Parrott that we won't see the like of these players again. I expect Bingtao to improve massively in the next few years and there are alot more Chinese players coming down the line.
    I think someone will come by. But three players from the same year dominating for so long is probably very unlikely to happen again.
    ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
    "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

• Originally Posted by s.h442 View Post
      Well done to Mark Williams its incredible that he is World Champion at 43. The class of 92 are still going strong but I don't agree with John Parrott that we won't see the like of these players again. I expect Bingtao to improve massively in the next few years and there are alot more Chinese players coming down the line.
      I think someone will come by. But three players from the same year dominating for so long is probably very unlikely to happen again.
      ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
      "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

• Originally Posted by Rane View Post
        I think that depends on your definition of dominating. If you mean just world championships, then I might agree, but against ROS, Higgins, and Williams with a total of 12 titles out of 16 world final appearances, there are Hendry-Doherty-Ebdon (all born 1969 or 1970) who have 9 world titles out of 15 final appearances, and the newer Murphy-Selby-Robertson (all born 1982-1983) with 5 titles out of 8 final appearances so far. Even Alex Higgins-Terry Griffiths-Cliff Thorburn, with 4 titles between them out of 9 final appearances were a triumvirate of sorts that just couldn't overcome Reardon and Spencer in the early years, or Steve Davis in their later years.

Expanding that out to all ranking or major titles will obviously lean heavily towards ROS-Higgins-Williams, given that they have kept up their form for longer and with more events to win. However, this doesn't discount the other sets of 3 players, and also doesn't take into account the now far larger number of players and events, travel etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that dominant trebles of players are not unprecedented in snooker, especially players of around the same age/year of birth. The main question is whether there will be another player around that will overshadow the others. For Selby, Murphy, and Robertson, the class of 92 (and particularly Higgins) have overshadowed them up to this point, just as the class of 92 overshadowed the later years of Hendry, Doherty, and Ebdon.

Personally, I expect another "dominant" treble to happen soon. It might depend on years of birth though; the typical pattern seems to suggest every 6-8 years between generations, and it's safe to say that many snooker players themselves seem to have peak periods of about that long. However, that discounts 1986, which has both Ding and Mark Allen, from forming a set of 3. Taking it too strictly brings us up to about 1990, which would leave us with many options, notably Judd Trump (1989), Kyren Wilson (1991), Lisowski (1991), and Michael White (1991). Again, this is no guarantee; Wilson, Lisowski, and White might all win numerous ranking events and worlds between them, yet still be overshadowed in their accomplishments by, say, Judd Trump or Ding or Allen, all of whom are slightly older and more than capable.

Comment

• Originally Posted by bagpiper13579 View Post
          I think that depends on your definition of dominating. If you mean just world championships, then I might agree, but against ROS, Higgins, and Williams with a total of 12 titles out of 16 world final appearances, there are Hendry-Doherty-Ebdon (all born 1969 or 1970) who have 9 world titles out of 15 final appearances, and the newer Murphy-Selby-Robertson (all born 1982-1983) with 5 titles out of 8 final appearances so far. Even Alex Higgins-Terry Griffiths-Cliff Thorburn, with 4 titles between them out of 9 final appearances were a triumvirate of sorts that just couldn't overcome Reardon and Spencer in the early years, or Steve Davis in their later years.

Expanding that out to all ranking or major titles will obviously lean heavily towards ROS-Higgins-Williams, given that they have kept up their form for longer and with more events to win. However, this doesn't discount the other sets of 3 players, and also doesn't take into account the now far larger number of players and events, travel etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that dominant trebles of players are not unprecedented in snooker, especially players of around the same age/year of birth. The main question is whether there will be another player around that will overshadow the others. For Selby, Murphy, and Robertson, the class of 92 (and particularly Higgins) have overshadowed them up to this point, just as the class of 92 overshadowed the later years of Hendry, Doherty, and Ebdon.

Personally, I expect another "dominant" treble to happen soon. It might depend on years of birth though; the typical pattern seems to suggest every 6-8 years between generations, and it's safe to say that many snooker players themselves seem to have peak periods of about that long. However, that discounts 1986, which has both Ding and Mark Allen, from forming a set of 3. Taking it too strictly brings us up to about 1990, which would leave us with many options, notably Judd Trump (1989), Kyren Wilson (1991), Lisowski (1991), and Michael White (1991). Again, this is no guarantee; Wilson, Lisowski, and White might all win numerous ranking events and worlds between them, yet still be overshadowed in their accomplishments by, say, Judd Trump or Ding or Allen, all of whom are slightly older and more than capable.
          I'm sorry, but I think your post only emphasises Rane's point that there is no comparison to the class of 92's dominance.

Hendry-Doherty-Ebdon: Hendry's achievements alone would make this group look respectable. You could add Doherty's and Ebdon's achievements together and they don't even come close to matching Williams's (the least decorated member of the 92 trio).

Higgins-Griffith-Thorburn: You even felt the need to explain that they'd have been more successful if there weren't better players around to limit there successes . Contrast this with the 92 trio who have undoubtedly been the best 3 (or 4) players over the last 20 years. The class of 92 are at least 3 times as successful by most measures.

Selby-Robertson-Murphy: To be fair this story is on-going, so the script may change, but right now Selby is a long way ahead of his peers in the group and the only one who comes close to 92 calibre (with 3 Worlds, 8 Triple Crown wins, and 7 consecutive seasons ending #1). Selby is the only post 75 player who has managed to consistently challenge the dominance of the 92 class.

You reasonably mention the increase in ranking tournaments in recent seasons, but really this has little affect on the standing of O'Sullivan, Higgins and Williams. Even if we go back to the end of the pre-Hearn era, all of the 92 class had massively superior achievements to Doherty, Ebdon, A Higgins, Griffith, Thorburn, Robertson and Murphy. I've left out Hendry and Selby, but these are exceptional individuals, not groups.

Comment

• I was well impressed by Kyren Wilson, it's only a matter of time for that young un to win the big one.

Comment

Working...
            X