Clear All

• jimev
    replied
    He's said he'll do his press conference in the buff if he wins

Leave a comment:

• JimMalone
    replied
    Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    I think it was Dave Hendon mentioning couple times about planned press conference of Mark Williams after the match, regardless the result. Isn't Mark going to retire, is he? :-(
    I certainly hope it won't be retirement, but this is the most common reason for a press conference.

Leave a comment:

• MrRottweiler
    replied
    Blimey, never seen that before. Chatting to the players while they are backstage about to come out in a world final session

Leave a comment:

• gavpowell
    replied
    Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    I think it was Dave Hendon mentioning couple times about planned press conference of Mark Williams after the match, regardless the result. Isn't Mark going to retire, is he? :-(
    He's going to announce he's adopted Jackson Page as his son and heir, purely to humiliate Darren Morgan.

Leave a comment:

• Shockerz
    replied
    Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
    Another classic case of Higgins limiting the damage after struggling in the first half of the session. Looking forward to tonight. :smile:
    It shows his class to still only be 2 frames down when not at his best. The class players have a knack of staying on your heels even when not at their best and then coming good in another session.

It's gonna be an interesting final; hope the frames stay close throughout the match to add to the tension.

Leave a comment:

• cally
    replied
    Can't see it being retirement after him saying his missus convinced him not to retire last year and he goes onto have his best season in years...

Come on mark, bring it home to wales again, boyo...

:snooker:

Leave a comment:

• Hal
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Shockerz
    replied
    Originally Posted by kligu View Post
    Anybody who says the championship is no longer worth wathcing with ROS going out in the second should watch both semis and the Trump - Higgins quarter final. I would have loved to see Ronnie in the final myself. But I guess this final will be much more enjoyable than a Selby - Ronnie final (or Carter - Ronnie or Murphy - Ronnie ...).
    The great thing about this final is you don;t know who is going to end up the Champion.

Leave a comment:

• JimMalone
    replied
    After the interval the match looked more like how I thought it would be. Higgins limited the damage after his abysmal start, 3-5 is totally okay for him. He remains the slight favorite for me.

Leave a comment:

• cidermaster
    replied
    Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
    Another classic case of Higgins limiting the damage after struggling in the first half of the session. Looking forward to tonight. :smile:
    Yes and once again Higgins playing much better coming from behind.Funny if Higgins had been in William's position this afternoon i would be a bit worried,it is almost as if Higgins won that session in terms of finding his game.Tonight is going to be very interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Odrl
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Billy
    replied
    Originally Posted by kligu View Post
    Anybody who says the championship is no longer worth wathcing with ROS going out in the second should watch both semis and the Trump - Higgins quarter final. I would have loved to see Ronnie in the final myself. But I guess this final will be much more enjoyable than a Selby - Ronnie final (or Carter - Ronnie or Murphy - Ronnie ...).
    Agreed. Personally I don’t count those who stop watching when their favourite goes out as true snooker fans. Granted my enthusiasm wouldn’t be quite what it is if MW hadn’t made it through, but I’d still be watching.

Leave a comment:

• Odrl
    replied
    Not exactly world-class stuff so far, Higgins in particular has been very poor...

Leave a comment:

• cidermaster
    replied
    Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
    Right now I can only be happy. It's the third year in a row the World Championship final includes two of my four favorite players and again I'll be happy with either winning. If Higgins wins he would become the third most successful player in the Crucible era, which would be great, but I'd maybe slightly prefer Williams winning his third one, because I think this would be fitting. If somebody told me one year ago, that the Welshman would make another World final I honestly wouldn't have believed it. His focus seemed gone and I wouldn't have been surprised if he would have retired within the next few years.

It's somehow amazing, when you think that the class of 1992 are all of the same age and have prior to this season 11 World titles and 15 finals betweeen them that this will be only the second time after 2001 that two of them match each other in a final.

20 years ago, after the 1998 World Championship the rankings were those:
    1. John Higgins
    2. Stephen Hendry
    3. Ronnie O'Sullivan
    4. Ken Doherty
    5. Mark Williams

20 years later it will look either:
    1. Mark Selby
    2. John Higgins
    3. Ronnie O'Sullivan
    4. Judd Trump
    5. Mark Williams

or

1. Mark Selby
    2. Ronnie O'Sullivan
    3. Mark Williams
    4. John Higgins
    5. Judd Trump

Either way the whole trio is still in the Top 5. This really shows their permanent class.

So who will add to his impressive resume today?
    I have been quite horrible with my previews and picks this year. At least I predicted the winners of the two semifinals correctly and maybe have found some of my form again ;-)

While Williams was the more successful player this year I think that at this point in time Higgins is the better player. When he is at his best only Selby and O'Sullivan can match him. His tactical game and his shot-selection is incredible and despite Williams made more centuries this tournament I think Higgins is slightly better among the balls as well.
    The Welshman is the better potter and even for Higgins it will be an impossible task to contain him. But quite often during his semifinal against Hawkins Williams missed crucial balls and against Higgins, who is a better version of the Hawk, I think this will cost him heavily. Higgins is more focused but Williams could be lose enough to have less pressure. I really think the Scotsman wants this title more, especially after losing last year's final, but is this an advantage?

One of the points where I consider Williams superior is fitness though. But so far Higgins hasn't shown signs of fatigue and I think the long lasting and nervewracking semifinal was very exhausting for Williams.

Higgins to win 18-15.
    Brilliant post pal,brilliant!

Leave a comment:

• cidermaster
    replied
    Originally Posted by Dark View Post
    Seems unlikely. If Selby does not return to his best that would improve chances as I don't think he will be beat Selby at his best in a final or semi-final, maybe in earlier rounds. However that means he plays one extra tough match.
    I disagree i still think Higgins could beat Selby in the latter stages,infact if he wins this World title he may have yet another peak,he looks much fresher than last year or indeed the year before,if his batteries do get re charged then he may well defend the title next year,but first of course this tough final first,but i think he will win it with 5 centuries.I really think Higgins has saved his best for last in 2018.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X