Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 China Championships

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • That was hard fought... Unfortunately I couldn't watch the second session live, but I'm glad I took the time to watch it in full later on. As I expected, there weren't really any exchanges of big breaks, but the tactical stuff was pretty good and the match couldn't really have been any more dramatic. Once again Selby proves he is the king of midnight snooker, holding his nerve when it mattered the most. He has now won 11 of his last 12 major ranking finals, which is quite remarkable.

    Comment


    • I had to go to work just at the beginning of the last frame.

      But of course I recorded it and now watched it. What a thriller the two delivered. They really showed they are the two best tacticians in the game once again. You have to feel a bit for John Higgins. Within the last 18 months he lost two World Championship finals and now this close final. He won the titles of the Indian and Welsh Open, but those are just minor events. And while I was a little more for Selby in the beginning of the match I found myself rooting more for Higgo as the match went on. I really hope John will win another big title soon again.

      As for Selby, well what can you say. He hold nis nerves once again and played with great bottle. He's now won 11 of his last 12 ranking finals, 12 of 13 if you include the 2016 Paul Hunter Classic, which really shouldn't count as a ranking event though. With his 15th ranking title (official list) he broke a tie with Neil Robertson for the lonely sixth place on the all-time list - of course he has the far more valuable trophies anyway.
      What's maybe even more important for Selby is, that while he was still not at his best, his overall level in this tournament was better than for most part of last season. Let's see if he makes another step back in the next few months.
      Last edited by JimMalone; 30th September 2018, 10:42 PM.

      Comment


      • Congrats to Selby ... But ... No Ronnie no fun.

        Comment


        • Originally Posted by QuickDraw View Post
          Congrats to Selby ... But ... No Ronnie no fun.
          Yeah, because snooker just revolves around one person...The Ronnie O'Sullivan show!

          Just a reminder this forum is for snooker fans. Feel free to go to Ronnie's Facebook page if you want to lick various parts of his body in public.
          Burroughes and Watts full size table with steel block vacuum cushions and Strachen 6811 Tournament Cloth
          Formerly Bill Werbeniuk's practice table in the 1980's
          1G Amarith balls used by Ding Junhui in 2017
          8m x 5m Grande Servern Plus log cabin from Dunster House

          Comment


          • Originally Posted by the_unrepentant View Post
            Yeah, because snooker just revolves around one person...The Ronnie O'Sullivan show!

            Just a reminder this forum is for snooker fans. Feel free to go to Ronnie's Facebook page if you want to lick various parts of his body in public.
            Nobody's licking anything, facts are facts. If you are happy to watch a mundane final such as this and call it tactical, be my guest. Happy Potting.

            Comment


            • Originally Posted by the_unrepentant View Post
              Yeah, because snooker just revolves around one person...The Ronnie O'Sullivan show!

              Just a reminder this forum is for snooker fans. Feel free to go to Ronnie's Facebook page if you want to lick various parts of his body in public.
              Don't feed the troll mate, he'll only get fatter.

              -
              The fast and the furious,
              The slow and labourious,
              All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

              Comment


              • I realised here that it is a sin being a fan of ROS. Not to take away the accomplishments of other great players though.
                Looking for perfection is the only way to motivate yourself.

                Comment


                • Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                  I realised here that it is a sin being a fan of ROS.
                  Not at all, he's one the greatest players ever to pick up a cue.

                  Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                  Not to take away the accomplishments of other great players though.
                  Exactly.

                  -
                  The fast and the furious,
                  The slow and labourious,
                  All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

                  Comment


                  • Originally Posted by QuickDraw View Post
                    Nobody's licking anything, facts are facts. If you are happy to watch a mundane final such as this and call it tactical, be my guest. Happy Potting.
                    I watched it, wouldn't call it mundane but wouldn't call a tactical feast either. Both players were well off their A game mainly due to neither getting good running, and Selby was doing his mini butt, rest, extension cue pointing routine to really drag it out but Higgins missed a sitter of a red in the decider to set up a clearance to take the match, probably dog tired.

                    For those pros insisting on Toam chalk, there's no point unless both are using it.
                    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

                    Comment


                    • Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                      Not at all, he's one the greatest players ever to pick up a cue.



                      -
                      I totally agree with this by the way and Ronnie is "one" of my favourite players ever along with Selby, Davis, White etc....

                      Plus, no chance was that a 'mundane' final. Both were battling poor table conditions and made the most out of it very positively I thought. Great potting and tactical play from both. What you would expect from two of the games best.
                      Burroughes and Watts full size table with steel block vacuum cushions and Strachen 6811 Tournament Cloth
                      Formerly Bill Werbeniuk's practice table in the 1980's
                      1G Amarith balls used by Ding Junhui in 2017
                      8m x 5m Grande Servern Plus log cabin from Dunster House

                      Comment


                      • I was watching the final, Selby and Higgins. It got down to the last couple of frames and Eurosport decided to take it off the air. That wasn't enjoyable at all.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X