2018 China Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
    Yuan Sijun is also through with 5:3 over Mark King. A great week for the young chinese players. Zhao, Lyu and Yuan all in the quarterfinals.
    When was the last time we had three players aged 20 or younger in the quarter-finals of a proper ranking event? :smile:

Comment

So we have Higgins - Trump as the stand-out quarterfinal tomorrow. In matches over Best-of-9 or longer Higgins has a 7-1 advantage in their head-to-head, but to me Trump seems in much better form here, so I think he will come out victorious tomorrow.
      Selby and Hawkins are the favorites against Yuan and Zhao, but the youngsters have good wins already in Guangzhou. I'd also make Lyu the slight favorite against O'Donnell, who has enjoyed a great tournament so far though.

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
        When was the last time we had three players aged 20 or younger in the quarter-finals of a proper ranking event? :smile:
        I don't have the time to do this research now, cause I'll pick up my own cue now, but I'll try to find out tomorrow :smile:

Comment

I don't have the time to do this research now, cause I'll pick up my own cue now, but I'll try to find out tomorrow :smile:
          Tomorrow is too late, I'm afraid... :wink:

I've gone through all the ranking events with matches of at least medium length, and it turns out that players under the age of 21 reaching quarter-finals is a very rare occurrence over the last two decades or so. It only happened twice in all of last season, and once the season before. It becomes even rarer before that, sometimes with several seasons in which it didn't happen at all. Ding Junhui managed to do it five times between 2005 and 2007, while everyone else that has done it since that period only managed it once or twice. It's funny, the 1998/1999 season is the most recent season where we even had three ranking quarter-finalists younger than 21, so the prospect of having three in the same tournament has just not been a realistic one in the last two decades.

Things get a little crazy if you go back another couple of years though, because the 1995/1996 season had 14 ranking quarter-finalists younger than 21. Higgins was the most prolific young player that season with seven, while O'Sullivan had seven himself the season before. Overall, I believe Hendry has the most with 16, O'Sullivan has 15, and John Higgins has 12. Perhaps the most surprising name on this list for me is Martin Clark though. He reached four ranking quarter-finals before he turned 21, but then never got beyond that stage in his entire career, losing all ten of his quarter-final matches. :smile:

Now, to answer the original question... This week is only the third time in history that three players as young as this have reached a major ranking quarter-final in the same event. The last time was in the 1996 Welsh Open (Williams, Dott and Hunter), and the time before that was the 1995 UK Championship (Williams, Higgins and O'Sullivan).

Time well spent, obviously. :wink:

Comment

What a stat! So basically 1/4 chances these players will become the new GOATS of the future?

Comment

I've gone through all the ranking events with matches of at least medium length, and it turns out that players under the age of 21 reaching quarter-finals is a very rare occurrence over the last two decades or so. It only happened twice in all of last season, and once the season before. It becomes even rarer before that, sometimes with several seasons in which it didn't happen at all. Ding Junhui managed to do it five times between 2005 and 2007, while everyone else that has done it since that period only managed it once or twice. It's funny, the 1998/1999 season is the most recent season where we even had three ranking quarter-finalists younger than 21, so the prospect of having three in the same tournament has just not been a realistic one in the last two decades.

Things get a little crazy if you go back another couple of years though, because the 1995/1996 season had 14 ranking quarter-finalists younger than 21. Higgins was the most prolific young player that season with seven, while O'Sullivan had seven himself the season before. Overall, I believe Hendry has the most with 16, O'Sullivan has 15, and John Higgins has 12. Perhaps the most surprising name on this list for me is Martin Clark though. He reached four ranking quarter-finals before he turned 21, but then never got beyond that stage in his entire career, losing all ten of his quarter-final matches. :smile:

Now, to answer the original question... This week is only the third time in history that three players as young as this have reached a major ranking quarter-final in the same event. The last time was in the 1996 Welsh Open (Williams, Dott and Hunter), and the time before that was the 1995 UK Championship (Williams, Higgins and O'Sullivan).

Nice find Odrl!

Comment

Thanks for doing that research.
                I would have thought that you only wound find a trio of Under 21's in the same quarterfinals if you'd go back to the times of Higgins, O'Sullivan and Williams, so that's no surprise. But I would have thought it would have happened a little more often than only twice.

Comment

This was a great first frame between Higgins and Trump.

Comment

Lyu makes two centuries in the first three frames, leads 3-0.

Comment

Lyu Haotian 3-0 with two centuries

snap!

in this regard Lyu Haotian is more experienced than O'Donnell - playing on TV table.
                      I hope Martin settles and shows us what we have not seen this week due to playing on non-TV tables
                      Last edited by DeanH; 28 September 2018, 07:20 AM.
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

93 for Martin O'Donnell
                        3-1 to Lyu at the MSI, impressive scoring, may it continue

Comment

I would have thought that you only wound find a trio of Under 21's in the same quarterfinals if you'd go back to the times of Higgins, O'Sullivan and Williams, so that's no surprise. But I would have thought it would have happened a little more often than only twice.
                          That's mostly Williams' fault. He only reached two quarter-finals before he turned 21, so he was a year or two behind Higgins and O'Sullivan in terms of development. You can find a lot of cases of all three being in the QF of the same event just after 96 though. :smile: For comparison, Paul Hunter and Matthew Stevens were both more successful youngsters than Williams as well, with five and three quarter-finals respectively, as was Alan McManus with four.

Comment

great post

Comment

Lyu Haotian through to his second semi-final, well done

Comment

That's mostly Williams' fault. He only reached two quarter-finals before he turned 21, so he was a year or two behind Higgins and O'Sullivan in terms of development. You can find a lot of cases of all three being in the QF of the same event just after 96 though. :smile: For comparison, Paul Hunter and Matthew Stevens were both more successful youngsters than Williams as well, with five and three quarter-finals respectively, as was Alan McManus with four.
                                Yeah, I thought that maybe it would have happened occasionally that two of them would have been in the quarters and a third player would have been there as well.
                                Still we shouldn't forget there are not that many tournaments a season and the time span between 17 or 18 and 21 isn't that long.
                                Last edited by JimMalone; 28 September 2018, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X