Idea for referees putting the balls back correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for referees putting the balls back correctly

Tell me if I’m being stupid here but I’ve had a thought.

Would it help the referee that is viewing the screen if there was a grid overlay, let’s say they have two screens, one with the position of the balls as they were before the foul and another live screen, both screens with a grid overlay so that they can use it as a reference to guide the main ref in putting the balls back?

If they had a grid it may help them but I think using the overhead camera for the overlay images would be better. As we saw with the now famous/infamous Ronnie incident it seems it is quite difficult with the perspective of the camera to confirm half 3/4" or whatever toward or away from the camera.

Comment

I just don't understand why they can't look at bigger screens instead of those silly tiny monitors?
      A grid overlay does make a lot of sense...
      Unfortunately, sense just isn't common anymore.
      "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
      National Snooker Expo
      25-27 October 2019
      http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
        I just don't understand why they can't look at bigger screens instead of those silly tiny monitors?
        A grid overlay does make a lot of sense...
        Unfortunately, sense just isn't common anymore.
        Larger screens may seem the way forward but IMHO its the clarity and sharpness of the screen that's the most important.

Comment

I would have thought they could have lasers/lights that guide the ref where to put the ball from the overhead gantry and then change the colour when the ball is within a pre-determined tolerance of perfect.

With Hawkeye or similar, it must be possible to come up with something like that.

That said, it may cost a lot to develop and its just not cost effective to bother!

Comment

they use already a new system at this event.

but even with that you can´t see sometimes the fractions make the difference.

Comment

the systems are only accurate to 2mm
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by vollzieherman View Post
                they use already a new system at this event.

but even with that you can´t see sometimes the fractions make the difference.
                Well whatever that is it’s not working because this week has been terrible, embarrassing at times.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jimmy Brown Sauce View Post
                  Well whatever that is it’s not working because this week has been terrible, embarrassing at times.
                  Yeah Ronnie was very embarrassing, I think he should be fined for what he did to that ref, he needs to be told they are in charge not him!

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                    Yeah Ronnie was very embarrassing, I think he should be fined for what he did to that ref, he needs to be told they are in charge not him!
                    He’s right though, it’s not his job. It needs to be a lot better than it is because we seem to be going backwards.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jimmy Brown Sauce View Post
                      He’s right though, it’s not his job. It needs to be a lot better than it is because we seem to be going backwards.
                      But he could of helped rather than being a prize Numpty !!!!

Comment

They do have a 50" inch or more screen below the one showing the scores for the players at Preston.

It is only turned on when showing the still image but the ref didn't really look at it this afternoon.

I noticed they had bigger screen, portrait style showing the full length table last season at the crucible.

If they had those and a tighter overhead camera shot, say one for each third of the table, it would give a much better view to judge the reposition.

Or the system they have used before in China where there is a circle on the screen and it flashes once the ball is exactly back inside it.

Can't be that hard to implement.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          What did that prize bellend do this time?

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                            What did that prize bellend do this time?
                            Ronnie potted a red but the cue ball ended up in the pack of reds and left himself snookered on all colours, he chose the black, & he only just missed, but cue ball had to be replaced and for whatever reason the ref couldn't quite get it right. Ronnie wasn't happy but instead of helping out by saying move it a smidge over or whatever he decided to have a go saying "it's not my job to replace it"
                            I think the ref should of told him straight, either help out or play from here, i'm in charge not you !!

Comment

IMO
                              Ronnie is always seeking to highlight the wrongs in the modern game.
                              As some have pointed out, it is not the job of the player to assist the referee.
                              In doing what he did, Ronnie has opened the debate of the current miss rule and its application...
                              This can only be a good thing, right?

ROS is pushing all the time for WS to catch up with other major sports.
                              Tennis has hawk eye which has nullified all controversial human calls in tournaments that use it.

Surely there is a geek out in this world who can come up with a piece of tech for professional snooker?
                              "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                              National Snooker Expo
                              25-27 October 2019
                              http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X