Billiards 2024 Paris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billiards 2024 Paris

Saw this today. Am pretty tired so I'll leave here...
    https://billiards2024.paris

Looks like billiards is being taken serious for the Olympics. Let's hope it proves successful...
    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
    National Snooker Expo
    25-27 October 2019
    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

I enjoy these things with 3 disciplines at the same time. Shaun Murphy was pretty pessimistic about cue sports ever making the olympics though

Comment

Thanks for the link, I have missed watching carom
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

for those that have missed her, Michaela Tabb is refereeing.

Comment

I don't know anyone who hasn't missed is 'our' Michaela

It's nice to see billiards taken serious and hope one day we will see atleast one element of it as an official Olympic game.
          National Snooker Expo
          25-27 October 2019

Comment

Hopefully we shall have Billiards in 2024 Olympics ...!!!!

Comment

If it is a 3 discipline event, I expect some really low quality. I can't imagine many snooker players stringing together any kind of run in the 3 cushion, or many pool or carom players competing in the snooker. 9 ball would be interesting, but unless non-pool players have put a huge amount of work in and worked out how to break, i'd heavily fancy the pool pro's, although there's perhaps more chance of some upsets.

So, snooker players win the snooker, pool players win the pool and carom players win the 3 cushion. The overall winner would be whoever was least terrible in the other 2 disciplines. Doesn't feel like the best advertisement for cuesports.

Comment

It is a 3 discipline event for the teams but the players stick to their own speciality.
                Kyren done well so far

Comment

A very good standard of teams have been put together as well. Many of whom will be paying expenses out of their own pocket. Well done to all!
                  National Snooker Expo
                  25-27 October 2019

Comment

Ah, got it. Definitely a good idea for a team event.

Comment

I'd like to see a single style event too, with players trying their hand at all 3. I think the snooker players may come out at the bottom of that though, Carom and 9-ball seem more similar. Would be interesting to see, maybe.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                        I'd like to see a single style event too, with players trying their hand at all 3. I think the snooker players may come out at the bottom of that though, Carom and 9-ball seem more similar. Would be interesting to see, maybe.
                        It's an interesting scenario.
                        Snooker players are better potters so with 2 of 3 disciplines requiring pocketing and positioning of balls, the snooker player certainly has a good chance of coming out on top. They also have very good knowledge of angles so they could give Carom billiards a fair good crack.

I'd say the snooker player e.g. Alan McManus could win 2 of 3 and quite possibly all 3
                        National Snooker Expo
                        25-27 October 2019

Comment

Been done before, Steve Davis vs The Pearl I think it was, in Las Vegas (?) and an other place to try and boost interest in snooker. Steve won all the snooker matches and I think he won many of the pool matches.

French snooker player Ochoiski beat tour player Su Xi 3-0
                          Last edited by DeanH; 12 March 2019, 03:09 PM.

Comment

I remember Steve Mizerak and Jim Rempe playing snooker/9 ball/straight pool challenges against Steve Davis and Jimmy White in the late 80's. IIRC the Americans won both, but were hammered in the snooker leg both times. Both the Americans were fairly experienced at snooker, and this was Steve Davis first go at pool. Steve Davis in the 90's would have won a similar challenge easilly though i think.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                              Been done before, Steve Davis vs The Pearl I think it was, in Las Vegas (?) and an other place to try and boost interest in snooker. Steve won all the snooker matches and I think he won many of the pool matches.

French snooker player Ochoiski beat tour player Su Xi 3-0
                              I know of the Davis and Earl matches. However these matches did not carry the high stakes that a potential Olympic Games and gold medal carries...
                              National Snooker Expo
                              25-27 October 2019

Comment

Working...
                              X