X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He is only getting better with age.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
      Regarding the ROS v Hendry debate, I think it should always be considered that Jimmy should have won at least one of those world titles. The one he really should have won and handed to Hendry on a plate in the end, doesn't, for me at least, make Hendrys 7th title one that elevates him above ROS if he were to win a 6th. It just means that Jimmy should have gone to bed earlier and practiced to focus better on the job at hand.

Titles aside, having watched these two giants of the game play through their whole careers, I personally feel Ronnie is a better snooker player overall. Even Stephen drools over many of the finesse shots he plays.
      Ronnie missing that Brown/blue (I can't remember as it hurt so badly that I've tried to block it out of my mind) at the end of the third session in his final against Selby was for me, the equivalent of Jimmy missing a black off the spot. Was actually an easier shot than Jimmy's black. I think he could have run away with the final if he'd won that frame and been ahead going in to the final session.

I'd just like to add that in my mind there is no question that Ronnie is the more talented player and on his day there is no one who can beat him (although even having said that, he has previously allowed the likes of Selby and a couple of times Judd to get under his skin and disrupt his natural game).

It's for that reason I don't want there to be any asterisks by his name or have to explain to people who aren't as knowledgeable that "yes he only won 5 world titles and Davis and Hendry won more, but he really was better, trust me".

Just do another two in a row like 12/13 and the argument is concluded. Then next summer there will be no one ahead of him in any record book (apart from maybe total titles including non ranking, which is probably something that Davis will always hold).

Edit: And I suppose if you are being technical then Joe Davis will always have the most world titles but I'm not counting that for obvious reasons.

Comment

• By this peculiar logic, Hendry should have beaten Ebdon for 8 world titles and Davis should have beat Taylor for 7. Fortunately, that isn't how it works. They missed a ball and lost.

I don't get the need to ram opinions down peoples throats on this forum. I like Hendry and I like Ronnie (slightly less because he's an idiot). I can't really see what more Hendry could have done better, he literally beat everyone put in front of him and set records through the 90's. Ronnie has done the same, but maybe with more flare, and less consistency. Both hugely naturally talented. Both different. I don't really care who is the 'best'. Probably Ronnie, but he's an idiot so I don't root for him as much. I liked Jimmy better than either, he's my GOAT whatever the statistics say.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
          I don't really care who is the 'best'.
          My sentiments exactly! I too am utterly baffled by these 'who is best' discussions. What the feck does it matter??
          "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Fairly common thing to discuss in any sport. Ultimately it doesn't matter and people will enjoy different sportsmen from many eras, but it's an interesting discussion to have for most people.

Comment

• Thanks to the wonderful world of YouTube I can watch snooker here in the US, though I sometimes get spoiled by the "decider" videos. I am utterly captivated by Ronnies game. I have not seen enough snooker to venture any cogent opinion on who the best is, but to my eye his cue ball control is frankly unreal. I have played enough snooker here in the US to have a little perspective (I had a 108 break once) but I simply cannot fathom how someone can be as good as he is with the white ball. He really toughed it out yesterday though not really playing his best. Seemed like he lost almost all of the "scrappy" frames. Robertson seemed to be just a little better at situations where you needed to manouver the colors and there were enough of those games to keep it close. Long matches are very exciting. Hopefully I can find a way to watch the WC live. I wish snooker were more of a thing here in the US. 9 ball or 8 ball are terrible on TV. Snooker though is awesome.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Guy3103 View Post
                I mean what else should the guy play for? What else is there left to prove??
                The youngest and the oldest players to win titles etc...

Comment

• Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
                  Hopefully I can find a way to watch the WC live. I wish snooker were more of a thing here in the US. 9 ball or 8 ball are terrible on TV. Snooker though is awesome.
                  Get a VPN and watch on the BBC website.

Comment

• I watch it live on Facebook ...Snooker Arsenal and later on YouTube

Comment

• Originally Posted by vilkrang View Post
                      Ronnie missing that Brown/blue (I can't remember as it hurt so badly that I've tried to block it out of my mind) at the end of the third session in his final against Selby was for me, the equivalent of Jimmy missing a black off the spot. Was actually an easier shot than Jimmy's black. I think he could have run away with the final if he'd won that frame and been ahead going in to the final session.

I'd just like to add that in my mind there is no question that Ronnie is the more talented player and on his day there is no one who can beat him (although even having said that, he has previously allowed the likes of Selby and a couple of times Judd to get under his skin and disrupt his natural game).

It's for that reason I don't want there to be any asterisks by his name or have to explain to people who aren't as knowledgeable that "yes he only won 5 world titles and Davis and Hendry won more, but he really was better, trust me".

Just do another two in a row like 12/13 and the argument is concluded. Then next summer there will be no one ahead of him in any record book (apart from maybe total titles including non ranking, which is probably something that Davis will always hold).

Edit: And I suppose if you are being technical then Joe Davis will always have the most world titles but I'm not counting that for obvious reasons.
                      Was that the ball that he needed for the frame but he miss-counted and assumed he needed the next ball as well, so ended up smashing it extra hard to get across the table but messed it up? It was a monster frame at the time. If I remember rightly it determined who would go into the final session in the lead or something. Ronnie's head completely went in that match.

It's amazing how both ROS and Higgins have collapsed against Selby in WC finals. A testament to him, I guess.
                      Last edited by Ronnie's tip; 25 March 2019, 09:56 PM.

Comment

• Selby must have got under his skin, 'like Trump'. Can only think he must have meant Donald Trump, because I can't imagine Judd slow rolling or anything like that.

Comment

Selby must have got under his skin, 'like Trump'. Can only think he must have meant Donald Trump, because I can't imagine Judd slow rolling or anything like that.
                          I think he meant for different reasons. Like your theory that Trump has his number by virtue of being able to take the initiative away from him.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
                            I watch it live on Facebook ...Snooker Arsenal and later on YouTube
                            Snooker Arsenal and also Mr.Snooker7 (although it seems he doesn't stream as many matches as arsenal).
                            I watch them both, and I am not a FB member.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ronnie's tip View Post
                              Was that the ball that he needed for the frame but he miss-counted and assumed he needed the next ball as well, so ended up smashing it extra hard to get across the table but messed it up? It was a monster frame at the time. If I remember rightly it determined who would go into the final session in the lead or something. Ronnie's head completely went in that match.

It's amazing how both ROS and Higgins have collapsed against Selby in WC finals. A testament to him, I guess.
                              That was the one. He absolutely blasted it when it was frame ball, was a crazy shot. That came at the end of a grinding session which finished him off for the match.

Comment

By this peculiar logic, Hendry should have beaten Ebdon for 8 world titles and Davis should have beat Taylor for 7. Fortunately, that isn't how it works. They missed a ball and lost.

I don't get the need to ram opinions down peoples throats on this forum. I like Hendry and I like Ronnie (slightly less because he's an idiot). I can't really see what more Hendry could have done better, he literally beat everyone put in front of him and set records through the 90's. Ronnie has done the same, but maybe with more flare, and less consistency. Both hugely naturally talented. Both different. I don't really care who is the 'best'. Probably Ronnie, but he's an idiot so I don't root for him as much. I liked Jimmy better than either, he's my GOAT whatever the statistics say.
                                I think 6 finals is unprecedented though, Im probably using emotion in this peculiar logic but I pretty much stopped watching snooker for 20 years after that last loss.

I think you've mentioned Ronnie is an idiot a few times now so when it comes to ramming opinions down throats.....
                                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
                                X