Coral tour chanpionchip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    as Neal just said Thorburn asked a set to be washed; also Alex Higgins once ask for a set to be warmed up (exhibition match I believe) and the used a microwave! [maybe urban myth ]
    I have heard of a set being changed at a mid session (can't recall the players/event)
    but don't recall any during a session
    It wasn't a microwaave as I remember - it was an ordinary oven.I think the story was in Ray Reardon's "Bedside Snooker" book.
    :snooker:

"You're not standing in my line of sight,but you are standing in my line of thought".

Comment

haha yes! bring the mob in! who wants 95% + snooker anway

Comment

Originally Posted by Tim65 View Post
        Why does the Coral series of events count as world ranking tournaments when the Masters doesn't?
        They may as well make the Masters a ranking event at this point. Takes more effort to win it than most tournaments

Comment

The Masters should be a ranking tournament....does anyone know why it isn't or never was?

Comment

Originally Posted by arsalanjami View Post
            The Masters should be a ranking tournament....does anyone know why it isn't or never was?
            Probably because the top 16 would have been protected too much back then. These days with some ranking tournaments that could be won with barely any of the very top players competing in it, I don't mind these exclusive tournaments being ranking events atm. So far these matches have been brilliant

Comment

Originally Posted by Dr_Doctor View Post
              Probably because the top 16 would have been protected too much back then. These days with some ranking tournaments that could be won with barely any of the very top players competing in it, I don't mind these exclusive tournaments being ranking events atm. So far these matches have been brilliant
              The reason the Masters has never been a ranking tournament is because its an invitational tournament - i.e. not open to all professionals.However,my point is that these Coral events are also invitational so it makes no sense that they are ranking events.If you're in the first Coral event & do well you're likely to be in the second.Do well in that & you're likely to be in the third.This then makes it more likely that you'll be in the top 16 when the World Championship starts & so qualify automatically.

"You're not standing in my line of sight,but you are standing in my line of thought".

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                as Neal just said Thorburn asked a set to be washed; also Alex Higgins once ask for a set to be warmed up (exhibition match I believe) and the used a microwave! [maybe urban myth ]
                I have heard of a set being changed at a mid session (can't recall the players/event)
                but don't recall any during a session
                It wasn't a microwaave as I remember - it was an ordinary oven.I think the story was in Ray Reardon's "Bedside Snooker" book.
                You are probably right, microwave ovens probably weren't around at the time
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

For a long time the masters had wild card entries, which is presumably why ranking points couldn't be accrued. I remember Jimmy had one the year he did I'm a Celebrity (just a few weeks after- he played embarrassingly badly), so fairly recent, and they at least had wildcards through the 90's maybe earlier.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                    For a long time the masters had wild card entries, which is presumably why ranking points couldn't be accrued. I remember Jimmy had one the year he did I'm a Celebrity (just a few weeks after- he played embarrassingly badly), so fairly recent, and they at least had wildcards through the 90's maybe earlier.
                    I think the wildcards were brought in specifically to let him play.But they were able to do that because it was never a ranking tournament as its not an open event.Similarly,the UK wasn't a ranking event when it was restricted to UK players only.

Comment

The reason the Masters has never been a ranking tournament is because its an invitational tournament - i.e. not open to all professionals.However,my point is that these Coral events are also invitational so it makes no sense that they are ranking events.If you're in the first Coral event & do well you're likely to be in the second.Do well in that & you're likely to be in the third.This then makes it more likely that you'll be in the top 16 when the World Championship starts & so qualify automatically.
                      Tell that to Mr Hearn. I'm just going along with whatever they do now

Comment

With regards the ranking points... top 16 used to automatically qualify last 32 of every tournament based on a 2 year ranking system updated annually. I remember Quinten Hann saying he was guaranteed £70k prize money one year in the top 16 even losing all his matches, and that he would still have a chance to keep his top 16 ranking the following year, based on his ranking points from the year before. I get why they changed that. So, they went to all players starting last 128 and a rolling ranking system, which meant a lot of trash snooker, and players like Ronnie complaining about qualifying in gymnasiums, playing numpties etc. Again, not really a successful system, and it's not a spectacle because we don't see the majority of matches. First hand, I can also say that it's not much fun going to the early rounds of a 128 field tournament- I went to Crawley for the English Open and left after an hour.

I think the Coral Series was introduced to address the failings of the new system, and to massage the egos of the top players. And...its on merit, so an incentive for players to play more and better. I have enjoyed the whole series, other than some aspects of it being on ITV, namely Jill Douglas having no clue about snooker, and that they have a 2 table format today, and aren't broadcasting both tables (also the choice to show the wrong table this evening, although through luck it worked out okay)

Comment

I only saw from 6-7 but wow...amazing.

Comment

Great match that. I really wished Selby would win it considering his not so good run recently. Well played Neil.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                              With regards the ranking points... top 16 used to automatically qualify last 32 of every tournament based on a 2 year ranking system updated annually. I remember Quinten Hann saying he was guaranteed £70k prize money one year in the top 16 even losing all his matches, and that he would still have a chance to keep his top 16 ranking the following year, based on his ranking points from the year before. I get why they changed that. So, they went to all players starting last 128 and a rolling ranking system, which meant a lot of trash snooker, and players like Ronnie complaining about qualifying in gymnasiums, playing numpties etc. Again, not really a successful system, and it's not a spectacle because we don't see the majority of matches. First hand, I can also say that it's not much fun going to the early rounds of a 128 field tournament- I went to Crawley for the English Open and left after an hour.

I think the Coral Series was introduced to address the failings of the new system, and to massage the egos of the top players. And...its on merit, so an incentive for players to play more and better. I have enjoyed the whole series, other than some aspects of it being on ITV, namely Jill Douglas having no clue about snooker, and that they have a 2 table format today, and aren't broadcasting both tables (also the choice to show the wrong table this evening, although through luck it worked out okay)
                              I've no problem with the Coral series per se - they are excellent events.Having tournaments with big prize money for the top 32,16 or 8 is a good idea that should produce top quality play.But it's still not right that the money the players win helps cement their place at the top of the rankings when these tournaments are not open to everyone.Even the World Championship,where the top 16 are guaranteed their place in Sheffield,is open to every player.

Comment

Considering it's a top tourney, did anyone else scratch their head as to why the reff on table 2 would have to do all his own scoring with that tv remote. Miss called, use the remote etc.

Why couldn't they have the same set up for both tables.

Comment

Working...
                                X