No announcement yet.

China Open 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mis-read the post , I thought he was ranked 17th .

Gilbert sweating on his Crucible spot then .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      Happened before to Trump back in Nov17 after the Shanghai Masters, cue was missing for 2 days and found in Heathrow
      While the cues are missing there's hope...
      What we don't want is for the cues to turn up as 3 piece cues!
      I wonder if players insure their equipment?
      "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
      National Snooker Expo
      25-27 October 2019
      http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

You expect they would be insured, but the loss is probably worth hugely more than the price of the cue. Slightly different, but I've heard of classical musicians insuring against damage to their hands, sometimes for millions. I wonder if sports people do the same?

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
          You expect they would be insured, but the loss is probably worth hugely more than the price of the cue. Slightly different, but I've heard of classical musicians insuring against damage to their hands, sometimes for millions. I wonder if sports people do the same?
          I would imagine it would be hard to insure a cue as its subjective of how instrumental (pardon the pun) a cue is to the players ability. I guess they would only insure up to a maximum of around £10000 as unlike a musician who can command a fee and generate income based on work, a snooker player has no guarantee of success as they are playing for prize money.

For me the most annoying thing is the timing of this. Any point during the season is never good but a few weeks before the world championship doesn't give enough time to adapt to another cue. One thing is certain, if his cue doesn't show up or is broken, he has about 5% chance of winning the world championship IMO.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
            I would imagine it would be hard to insure a cue as its subjective of how instrumental (pardon the pun) a cue is to the players ability. I guess they would only insure up to a maximum of around £10000 as unlike a musician who can command a fee and generate income based on work, a snooker player has no guarantee of success as they are playing for prize money.

For me the most annoying thing is the timing of this. Any point during the season is never good but a few weeks before the world championship doesn't give enough time to adapt to another cue. One thing is certain, if his cue doesn't show up or is broken, he has about 5% chance of winning the world championship IMO.
            The majority of professional snooker players are set up as limited company's. As a company there is a need for tools and equipment, so a good insurance package should be feasible...
            "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
            National Snooker Expo
            25-27 October 2019
            http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Most players would struggle after changing their cue.Neil said he can play well with any cue from the rack.

Comment

Big Frame for Jack to win...

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                  Most players would struggle after changing their cue.Neil said he can play well with any cue from the rack.
                  It's down to the individual I guess. I've had a ton with a cue in the third frame after getting it, the only time I've done that with a new cue. Strangely enough I didn't feel comfortable with it and within a couple of weeks I'd gone back to my old cue.

Most pros can knock in breaks with any cue, but doing it under pressure is another story. Also anyone will tell you it's not the routine shots around the pink and black area, it's safety shots and shots over distance that is all about feel of the cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                    He did say that previously yes.
                    He has talked about how long it has taken him to get used to his new cue since then though.

Comment

• Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                      Most pros can knock in breaks with any cue, but doing it under pressure is another story. Also anyone will tell you it's not the routine shots around the pink and black area, it's safety shots and shots over distance that is all about feel of the cue.
                      It's shots with side that one needs to get used to as every cue will deflect the cue ball slightly differently.
                      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Holy schmoly to that clearance.

Go Jack.....

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                          It's shots with side that one needs to get used to as every cue will deflect the cue ball slightly differently.
                          Lisowski is through!

Comment

• Such a talent. Been so much more consistent last few seasons, but weak under pressure still at times. A win in the final here, and that would really boost his confidence. Would love to see him and Trump at their best against each other in the coming years. Could rival Jimmy vs Kirk

Comment

• He is almost going from less inconsistent to borderline consistent, lol.

He shouldn't have needed the clearance as it should have been over frames before....

Comment

• Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                                and then when he got a new cue his play went down, and he returned to his old cue before getting another new cue early 2018 and again his play did suffer but he worked through it.

Play is one thing but compete and win is a whole other thing

And I remember Shaun Murphy in interview specifically about his cue saying something like "it is just a bit of wood" and when that cue broke he went to pants for most of a season.
                                Last edited by DeanH; 5 April 2019, 05:44 PM.
                                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                                X