2019 World Snooker Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by neuronic View Post
    Utter BS this, sorry. Higgins had to be favourite to win before the match, Judd had never won anything longer than a best of 9 against John. https://cuetracker.net/head-to-head/...ins/judd-trump
    Higgins' performances up the final were by far more consisting and convincing than Trump's who just had two massive sessions against Ding and Maguire. I was actually pretty sure John would take this but then Judd showed up with ... this.

And all that talk of the BBC and everybody being hyperbolic about it Judds performance... just watch what Stephen Hendry said after the match, watch how genuinely baffled he was. Hendry is no one to go floridly raving about how great some snooker player is (like Ronnie sometimes does when he wants to... well I'll leave it you to judge what he actually wants).
    Judds performance in that final was something else. You may not like it, you may want to defend your heroes but that doesn't take anything away from it.
    Hang on... Higgins was scraping through each round on his (decent) B-game, and only just won his semi-final which went to the deciding frame. Trump and Ding weren't exactly playing well in their match, he had an easy time against an off-form Maguire in his quarter-final, and he stepped it up a gear against Gary Wilson to win 17-11; he was the much fresher player going into the final and was all the Bookies favourite at the start of the final.

Judd potted some outstanding long pots (as usual when he's on form), he was great to watch and brought his best game to the final, but the stats are nothing extraordinary like we have never seen before, to be fair. Hendry's 7 centuries in 10 frames and Ronnie's ridiculously-consistent 2013 performance were more impressive, in my opinion. BBC are talking it up for publicity - it's in their own interest, including Hendry.

If Judd surpassed Hendry's 16 centuries in a World Championship campaign, made similarly 7+ centuries in c10 frames and had in excess of 95% pot success rate, then yeah it would be like something we have NEVER seen before. But, it was another great final performance like we've seen from Ronnie, Hendry and a prime John Higgins before.

Hendry was talking out of his backside at times, which is unusual for him - he said Judd is a big game player and very strong in a final - Cuetracker had him as 10 wins and 9 losses in ranking finals before this match...
    Last edited by Ronnington; 9 May 2019, 11:35 PM.
    Favourite players: Kirk Stevens, Stephen Hendry, John Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Ding Junhui

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ronnington View Post
      Hendry was talking out of his backside at times, which is unusual for him - he said Judd is a big game player and very strong in a final - Cuetracker had him as 10 wins and 9 losses in ranking finals before this match...
      Yeah I kept wondering about that - he kept saying "Judd's strike rate in finals - he doesn't lose many" and I kept thinking "I must be missing something - Trump's been brilliant the past 12 months or so, but I don't remember him winning tons of events"

Delighted Trump showed he can reach such a high standard - until 2011 I honestly didn't see what the fuss was about as he looked stupid in so many matches, but 2011 round 1 of the Worlds totally opened my eyes. It'll be interesting to see how much more potential he can tap into.

Comment

• Originally Posted by neuronic View Post
        Yeah, the BBC instructed employee Stephen Hendry to rave about Judd Trumps performance because they want you to believe strange things that are obviously false... gosh. You voted leave, right? Haters... whatever
        I've already said I like Judd and thought it was a great performance. Not sure how that makes me a "hater" or what Brexit has to do with any of this (for the record I voted remain).

Originally Posted by Ronnington View Post

Judd potted some outstanding long pots (as usual when he's on form), he was great to watch and brought his best game to the final, but the stats are nothing extraordinary like we have never seen before, to be fair. Hendry's 7 centuries in 10 frames and Ronnie's ridiculously-consistent 2013 performance were more impressive, in my opinion. BBC are talking it up for publicity - it's in their own interest, including Hendry.

If Judd surpassed Hendry's 16 centuries in a World Championship campaign, made similarly 7+ centuries in c10 frames and had in excess of 95% pot success rate, then yeah it would be like something we have NEVER seen before. But, it was another great final performance like we've seen from Ronnie, Hendry and a prime John Higgins before.

This.

Comment

• Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
          Yeah I kept wondering about that - he kept saying "Judd's strike rate in finals - he doesn't lose many" and I kept thinking "I must be missing something - Trump's been brilliant the past 12 months or so, but I don't remember him winning tons of events"
          I presume Hendry was referring more to recent form. Trump's won 6 out of 7 finals in the last 2 years or so. You can't really gauge the standard of a player's game by going back more than a couple of years.

Comment

• For Higgins in the twilight of his career, there has to be an element of wanting to 'earn as much dosh as poss for his family and retirement'

From that regard, he was very successful

250K runners up prize and 500K winners prize are most definitely mainstream sport type numbers, not niche sport prize money

9ball players get excited about any prize over 25K

Comment

• For Higgins in the twilight of his career, there has to be an element of wanting to 'earn as much dosh as poss for his family and retirement'

From that regard, he was very successful

250K runners up prize and 500K winners prize are most definitely mainstream sport type numbers, not niche sport prize money

9ball players get excited about any prize over 25K

Comment

• I've been on vacation for a few weeks, just want to share a few thoughts on the end of the world championship and this season.

I have to say that this was one of my least favourite World Championships. To be fair part of it is due to most of my favourite players crashing out early and one of my least favourite players claiming the title. But congrats to Trump, who certainly deserved it and played fantastic in the final.

But aside of a few matches (Higgins - Robertson, Higgins - Gilbert) there were just no great matches in the latter stages of this tournament and this is what usually defines a great World Championship.

Part of this is also due to - as I referred to earlier on - many top players just not being in form - Selby, O'Sullivan, Ding, Williams, Allen, Murphy and so on. Even Higgins was far from his best despite reaching the final.
                Actually I think we will see Higgins and Williams decline further from now on. I'm sure they will have an occasionally good run, but I predict that it will be fewer. Yeah, we have said that in the past, but I think now they have reached this point. (I'd be glad if they could proove me wrong once again though).

Please, please, please make the pockets tighter again next year. Some balls that went in this year were ridiculous.

I really hope some of the top players will come back stronger next season.

Comment

• Just saw that next years final on the Monday won't be a bank holiday, which will be odd. The government have moved the holiday to the Friday to coincide with VE day. Make sure you all save a leave day from work.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                    Just saw that next years final on the Monday won't be a bank holiday, which will be odd. The government have moved the holiday to the Friday to coincide with VE day. Make sure you all save a leave day from work.
                    had not noticed this
                    thanks for the head's up - going straight to my works' leave system and book the day!
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• I reckon that WS will try to re schedule the Final to finish on the Sunday . Monday is no good to anyone .
                      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                        I reckon that WS will try to re schedule the Final to finish on the Sunday . Monday is no good to anyone .
                        I reckon Barry has the clout to make them change it back to the Monday

Comment

Working...
                        X