Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you like this Neal Foulds, Neil Robertson and other players proposal for the WC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you like this Neal Foulds, Neil Robertson and other players proposal for the WC?

https://twitter.com/nr147/status/1124282969030569985

Basically they consider that semi-finals are too long, and one session must be removed, and only the final should be in 4 sessions
    Yes, I would like a 19-25-25-25-35 format
    15.38%
    No, I prefer the current 19-25-25-33-35 format
    84.62%

I do think the 4 sessions for the semi-final is too long and it could easily be 3 sessions with a reduced number of frames.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I love the four session matches. They're my snooker highlight of the year. I bet Robertson wouldn't be bemoaning them if he was playing in one.

Comment

I like the four session final but I dont think the semis need to be so long

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          I like the four session final but I dont think the semis need to be so long
          The only thing I don't like about the semi's is that the last day has 3 sessions, so one player has a longer day going into the final. I never really understand why there aren't ever thursday morning sessions, in week one also.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
            The only thing I don't like about the semi's is that the last day has 3 sessions, so one player has a longer day going into the final. I never really understand why there aren't ever thursday morning sessions, in week one also.
            if you reduce the sessions then I am sure this can be evened out

but then WS are gaining 980 extra ticket sales at what? £75 a pop?
            with that in mind will WS reduce the sessions? :wink:

Comment

Higgins was suggesting R2 should be best of 21. Maybe there is scope for tweaking the format a bit. The tournament is a test of stamina but it's not good if players are drained before the final. The finalists should be peaking and producing their best form. Not really got any opinions on this. Just love the tournament warts and all.

Comment

Three 9 frame session semi's, best of twenty seven, and increase the final to five seven frame and one eight frame sessions best of forty three with no msi except for the last session of eight frames.
                Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I don't know. When Robertsons arguement is that the first day is unwatchable, there's a simpler solution. Don't watch it, but don't deprive the people who do enjoy watching it.

My thoughts on the best of 25s, is that if you fall apart in the first session, it's game over. The best thing about the most memorable 4 session matches is the ebbing and flowing, and the big comebacks. Quality has more time to shine through. You just don't get that in 25 frame matches anywhere near as often.

Comment

It has always struck me as odd that the WC semis are a mere one frame less than the final.
                    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Absolutely not, but I'd have the entire event as Best of 35s including the qualifiers so I may not be the best to ask.

The first day is not unwatchable the difference between 8-0 either way or 5-3, 4-4 is massive. Part of the achievement of winning the WC is that it's one of the biggest challenges in snooker. The argument that semis aren't watchable because they take a couple of days is a nonsense, part of the joy is watching the story arc throughout the three days of the semi-finals.

I'd also be highly concerned that shortening any of the matches in the worlds opens the gate up to further tweaks here and there and we end up with Best of 19 all the way or best of 11s all the way. As I certainly didn't think I'd see the UK championship devalued the way it has been when I first started watching snooker.

I did once draw up my ideal crucible schedule years ago, I'll dig around my hard drive and see if its anywhere.

Comment

The World Championships is a hugely successful event in all sport, not just snooker. They would be mad to change the format IMO.
                        Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

There is really no need to change anything. But if then I would definitely NOT shorten the semis.
                          I'd rather make the quarterfinals Best-of-29 and maybe the final Best-of-39.

Comment

I usually get tickets for the semis I think they seem to produce some of the best sessions but the players are usually knackered by the final.

Comment

Originally Posted by nevets View Post
                              The World Championships is a hugely successful event in all sport, not just snooker. They would be mad to change the format IMO.
                              Agree. The UK Championship has been reduced to a tournament like every other on the tour after the format was changed. It used to be tournament number two. Now I see it on line with the biggest of the chinese events and the german masters.
                              ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                              "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Working...
                              X