Postcard from Sheffield – Day 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postcard from Sheffield – Day 7

Well I start my report today 180 miles away from the Crucible – at my club in Bournemouth. I had, reluctantly, decided to take a trip back to play in our league cup final; I am captain of one of the teams. My reluctance increased when I realised it would cost #85:50 (no idea where the pound sign is on this keyboard!) to get the train, but I did it nevertheless and thus missed the whole day's play at the Crucible for the first time since 2005.

Anyhow we won, and afterwards the league secretary, not a betting man, said he'd stick a quid in the fruit machine and any profit I could have towards the fare. He stuck the coin in, hit the button once, and the #250 jackpot came out first time. I therefore returned to Sheffield this morning victorious and in pocket!

And, it turns out, I missed out on being awoken at 2am when the fire alarm again went off at our accommodation.

My train got in 10 minutes before this afternoon's session, so I was able to see the interesting Day-Higgins encounter today. I did catch Maguire's 147 attempt on telly at the club last night; according to the papers this morning, he was so cross that he broke a tile in the backstage toilets – must have been the pressure of having a 9-3 lead in the first round that got to him! I'm not one to criticise unduly but compared with Doherty's absence of vandalism as he not only faced a first round exit but a trip to the qualifiers next season...

Anyway, that's about all there is to report on this slightly drizzly evening for the moment. Enjoy the tournament, and...

Wish you were here!

Nice one Statman
    Sounds like your having a great time
    Ill be down again tommorrow to watch Hendry vs Ding and then Ronnie vs Williams
    2009 Shanghai Masters Predict the Qualifiers Champion

2008 Grand Prix Final Prediction Champion

http://ryan147.com

Comment

Congrats to the good fortune!

Comment

Wow, that's dedication, I surely would have stayed at the Crucible!
        Thanks for your great reports! Very much appreciated
        Ein jedes Werkzeug ist ein Tand in eines tumben Toren Hand.

Comment

Dosent look good for me
          I may not be seeing Hendry v Ding afterall as its 10-2
          Oh no
          (although i do want hendry to win)
          Statman You have serious dedication to go back for 1 match
          2009 Shanghai Masters Predict the Qualifiers Champion

2008 Grand Prix Final Prediction Champion

http://ryan147.com

Comment

Working...
          X