Stephen Maguire v Ali Carter - Semi Final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen Maguire v Ali Carter - Semi Final

In my opinion, this tournament had three players to be called playing consistently good snooker: Stephen Maguire, Ronnie O'Sullivan and Matthew Stevens.
    Not to my great surprise, they're all in the semi finals and with a good chance to become the world champion, a chance that, in my opinion, belongs to every player reaching the business end of the world championship.
    Ali Carter, on the other hand, has been the fighter of the tournament and had some heroic moments especially when knocking out Judd Trump and held his nerve against debutant Jamie Jones although he had some problems in closing out the match.

For this match, this first session could be key. Although it wasn't a really late night finish this Carter v Jones match, Maguire has now had more than a full day's rest under his belt, which certainly helps in this grueling tournament. Carter will be pleased to stay close to him early on and if we can keep Maguire under check, he may actually have a shot at taking him down in the final session.

That said, on his form, Maguire is the heavy favorite to win this match. This may be his best chance so far to win the World title, because knowing him, he's definitely not going to be scared of O'Sullivan's or Stevens' scoring potential in a possible final scenario, as he himself is one of the heaviest scorers of today's snooker. He missed a few balls against Hendry, but eventually settled down quickly and pulled away with the win. If Carter gives him any sort of chance to get into his rhythm, he may be done for. Maguire is one of those players you just cannot keep away from the table when they get hot or say, you'll have some sort of an uphill task to do so.

I expect Maguire to prevail 17-11, 17-12 or somewhere around those scorelines, but I'll definitely pleased if the match goes down to the wire.

Discuss..
    All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Really like Maguire in this line up. Ali has had a great tournament & seems to do well at the crucible but if Maguire hits close to his A game I can see this being a one sided affair. That said, Maguire has been a consistent under performer at the Worlds. (in terms of his ability) & his temperament sometimes seems to get the better of him.

Expect a similar scoreline 17-11/12, though wouldn't be overly suprised to see Ali scrape through for a repeat of the 2008 finals as he is a gritty performer & seems to play well under pressure

Comment

I don't know how to call this one...

I think Maguire is/was the only player here on par with O'Sullivan in "scoring potential", as montoya10 says, but if anyone can bottle a World semi-final... I always thought he could win the World title by just blowing everyone away. Is this it, or is it just a case of having a somewhat easier draw? This is the first seed he will be facing after all. He had three convincing wins in the first three rounds, against players who couldn't really respond to his one-visit snooker.

I think Carter possibly could, although this is arguably the first in-form top player he will be facing as well, because Trump was obviously not at his best. But Maguire is, and it will take Carter at his best to stick with him. They can both play this type of snooker, with a good percentage from distance and efficient scoring. They both also have the tactical game and shot selection not to do anything stupid, so they will have to work for their chances.

But speaking of "stupid", just as I thought Maguire had calmed down a bit, he goes banging his cue at 11-1 up against Hendry, after a pretty trivial mistake. It's good that he is up for it, it's just a question whether this type of "hyped" approach will work for or against him.

I think if both players play to what they are capable in May 2012, and play consistently, Maguire is a couple of frames stronger. But I can see this this match having lots of twists and turns, with both players winning a couple of frames in a row when they get the momentum on their side. I still think Maguire is stronger though, and I can see him winning 17-14.

Comment

Wonder if Ali is gassed. He's played alot of frames over the last few days.

Comment

Originally Posted by doorag View Post
          Wonder if Ali is gassed. He's played alot of frames over the last few days.
          Yeah you'd think Maguire would be the fresher of the two.

-
          The fast and the furious,
          The slow and labourious,
          All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Tentative start. Carter is in good position to win the first frame.
            All the way Mark J!!

Comment

wish me maguire in the final

carter wont beat ronnie if ronnie reaches the final, though maguire hasnt got the best h2h against him he still more capable to match ronnie than carter

carter hasnt beaten ronnie ever and their last crucible meeting was a thraishing

Comment

great opening frame :/
                WVandeweyer Photography - Trevor White Cues Photo Collection (site)

Comment

They both blew chances. Frame prolonged.
                  All the way Mark J!!

Comment

Nervy start from both players.......
                    Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                    Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Not the start they were looking for, but a great blue and then the added pink seals the frame for Maguire.
                      All the way Mark J!!

Comment

Cracking blue from Maguire to get position on the pink to take the first frame......
                        Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                        Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

what was that? what a shot at plant for the middle by On Fire.

Comment

Both players struggling with the table speed.
                            All the way Mark J!!

Comment

Maguire somehow scores the needed points and goes 2-0 up.
                              All the way Mark J!!

Comment

Working...
                              X