World Open 2013 - Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
    Yao Ming and Liu Xiang are two big names from a couple of years ago. Yao was a basketball player in the NBA, but retired after a serious injury, and Liu is of course the former world record holder in 110m hurdles. :wink:
    Of course...should have known that really Cheers Odrl.
    Last edited by daffie; 25 February 2013, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Fascinating stuff in the Milkins-Davis match, a couple of frames finishing on the final colours towards the end. Milkins tried his best to throw it away, but eventually managed to take on of his chances. :smile:

Excellent win for Lu Haotian as well. He won two frames in one visit, the rest was pretty scrappy, but he always looked the better player. He will need something special to win against Selby though. :wink:

Comment

To my surprise Itv4 didn't cut the afternoon match short for "the professionals" scheduled for 3pm! On another note a highlight show would be nice, especially for the action i missed whilst on my jobs, would like to see how these talented young Chinese players get on...
        Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Stephen Maguire cue

Yes Maggiie uses a GBL Maple. U can see same model at www.greenbaize.co.uk It's mentioned in the shop forum

Comment

Started watching Allen vs Day this morning over breakfast.

Seems strange to have the players come into the arena to silence .

Only the Janitor and a few knitters in so far . . .

2-2 at last time of checking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Worst attendance i seen in any tourney for a while, poor...

They've Had to stop play on main table (allen/day due to moisture/water dripping onto table rail, whats that all about eh...

considering snooker supposed to be sooooo popular in china it;s like a ghost town in the place, i dunno...

Last edited by cally; 26 February 2013, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Allen beats day 5-2...

Ryan struggled after missing a brown with the rest to go 3-2 up...

He just can't find much these days can ryan...

Comment

Interesting morning... Not surprising to see the two seeds going through. They were both up against it early on, but came good in the end. I think Day was always going to lose when it went 2-2, he just had such a negative attitude when things started going wrong, shaking his head all the time and clearly letting the usual "Chinese distractions" get to him.

As for Gould, it's also not the first time we've seen him just failing to close out the match, wasting two or three chances in the last two frames. Murphy fought well though, as usual.

It's also nice to see Zhao Xintong doing well. To beat Higginson 5-1 is quite a result. Zhao is of course the player who beat Ken Doherty in the International Championship, then fought really well against Stevens in the last32, only losing 6-5. :wink:

Comment

Robertson wobbling a bit from 4-0 against Dale, 4-2 now. I still expect him to do the business though. :smile:

Comment

commentators said dale was not using his own cue (another gone missing) and he damaged the tip on it and had to take a 15min break to put a new one on - whose cue was he using and damaging?

Have to feel sorry for Bedford and Higginson who came through the last 64 with the other qualifiers but had to play in the wildcard round which made the difference from £6000 prize money for losing in the L32 down to £2300 for losing in the L48 - big difference for them but necessary for the game

Comment

Originally Posted by sberry View Post
                        Have to feel sorry for Bedford and Higginson who came through the last 64 with the other qualifiers but had to play in the wildcard round which made the difference from £6000 prize money for losing in the L32 down to £2300 for losing in the L48 - big difference for them but necessary for the game
                        Actually, the Main Tour players who lose in the wildcard round still get the ranking points and the prize money, as if they'd lost in the 1st round proper. :wink:

Comment

If anyone didn´t see Jud Trumps positional shot from yellow to green, here it is, app. 6 minutes into the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuWeDokh7Zk
                          ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                          "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Originally Posted by cally View Post
                            Worst attendance i seen in any tourney for a while, poor...

They've Had to stop play on main table (allen/day due to moisture/water dripping onto table rail, whats that all about eh...

considering snooker supposed to be sooooo popular in china it;s like a ghost town in the place, i dunno...

yes i agree,crowds not there, i was watching Ding Vs Holt this morning and even in that match there were large chunks of the arena un occupied. its not good, there national hero is playing and they can't muster the effort to go and support him.

i have been to tournaments here and they are always packed. they say the future of snooker is with china, i don't know really, if its like what we are seeing , god help us.
                            Last edited by alabadi; 27 February 2013, 10:29 AM.

Comment

The snooker itself hasn't been too bad this week though. Very tense conclusion to the Ding-Holt match, but some quality stuff from both players nonetheless. :smile:

Selby beating Lu 5-0 isn't really a surprise, but I was kind of hoping for a closer match. Lu made a nice 64 in the 4th frame before running out of position, and Selby cleared to win on the black. That's what happens against the top players, you can't win it with bits and pieces, like against Bedford. :wink:

Comment

Haven't been able to watch much snooker this week unfortunately. Watched a few matches so far. The low attendance is personally a rather big turn-off when watching snooker in China. Very very disappointing, especially with Ding being one of the top-sports personalities in China. I find it really incredible how few people go watch live snooker there, esp. with snooker being billboarded as a major sport. Worries me for the future of our sport...
                                Last edited by daffie; 27 February 2013, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X