No announcement yet.

The absence of Ronnie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It never occurred to me that you were making the story up, I have no reason to doubt what you say, and having looked at the link I think Ronnie was a bit out of order, but we all know about his mindset. Sometimes in life we all get frustrated by rules and regs we think are banal, or freedom restricting. Also I dont think the term childish is too harsh and it doesn't actually bother me too much, but I am a bit of a stickler for correct definitions. Generally, I think Ronnie just gets frustrated, as we have seen from some other players, and that can boil over into an outburst or action which is not acceptable. Also it is not up to me to determine how you describe a players actions. You have the freedom to say what you wish - I just wanted to make the point that Ronnie was sometimes "out of order" or "not in the spirit of the game" but rarely did I see him to be childish. As I said, the one time I saw that immaturity was the refusal, at first, to take the black to make 147. I think that was his way of digging at the "no prize for 147" idea, but a great sportsman would have done it anyway - for the fans and paying audience. Thats what they came to see and paid for, and players like Hendry or Davis would not have hesitated to pot the black. Even Mark Williams, who doesn't seem bothered once he has won the frame would have finished it. Anyway, discussions are good - thanks for your input - just wanted to put my twopennyworth in
    cheers Tom

Comment

• Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
      The most famous and most watched frame of snooker in history took over an hour and ended up with 2 guys chasing 6 colours round a table, barely able to stand due to fatigue and unable to see or cue straight due to the pressure and atmosphere in the arena.

Snooker doesn't have to be a 5 minute 147 to be a spectacle.
      True, but it doesn't have to boring either. Intensity is one thing, it adds to drama. Deliberate time wasting only dulls the senses. I remember the grinders of the 80s and people asleep upright at the crucible. Snooker is fading in the the UK. As a spectacle, this is the last thing it needs. I can't see young people taking up the game, thinking, I really must go to my local snooker club and spend an hour taking 20 shots. Snooker has to compete with other sports and media in general for attention, to keep the sponsors happy, to pay the wages, to keep the game alive. It has to be a good show. Purists won't like this, but that's the way it is now. It's not 1985, when folk only had four channels, folk have many viewing choices. I like Peter's intensity and determination, and hard work ethic. I like the fact that perhaps not the most talented player (his words) made it to the top via hard work. But he shouldn't be allowed to time waste; Peter Ebdon's natural game is much quicker.
      Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

• Originally Posted by tommygunner1309 View Post
        I still think you are totally missing the point. In effect, pro snooker players are self employed.
        Problem is Snooker Players are Self Employed but wants the Security of Employment.

They want to have their Cake and Eat it.

As Self Employed Worker if You put in a Tender for a Job you have a Contract to sign and You have to Honor that Contract or you don't get the Job or They will get Rid of you and Get in someone that will do the Job.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
          True, but it doesn't have to boring either. Intensity is one thing, it adds to drama. Deliberate time wasting only dulls the senses. I remember the grinders of the 80s and people asleep upright at the crucible. Snooker is fading in the the UK. As a spectacle, this is the last thing it needs. I can't see young people taking up the game, thinking, I really must go to my local snooker club and spend an hour taking 20 shots. Snooker has to compete with other sports and media in general for attention, to keep the sponsors happy, to pay the wages, to keep the game alive. It has to be a good show. Purists won't like this, but that's the way it is now. It's not 1985, when folk only had four channels, folk have many viewing choices. I like Peter's intensity and determination, and hard work ethic. I like the fact that perhaps not the most talented player (his words) made it to the top via hard work. But he shouldn't be allowed to time waste; Peter Ebdon's natural game is much quicker.

More people are watching Snooker on TV all over the world now than ever before, just ask Eurosport. You need to consider the big picture and not just a UK centric view.

Eurosport coverage of Snooker all over Europe is the best thing to happen to Snooker for a very long time. It will be interesting to see if it starts to bear fruit in the coming years i.e. more tournaments all across Europe and more players turning professional from lots of different countries and not just the UK.

Specific point on Peter Ebdon - there are rules already in place to stop time wasting and to my knowledge Peter Ebdon has never fallen foul of these rules.

Comment

More people are watching Snooker on TV all over the world now than ever before, just ask Eurosport. You need to consider the big picture and not just a UK centric view.

Eurosport coverage of Snooker all over Europe is the best thing to happen to Snooker for a very long time. It will be interesting to see if it starts to bear fruit in the coming years i.e. more tournaments all across Europe and more players turning professional from lots of different countries and not just the UK.

Specific point on Peter Ebdon - there are rules already in place to stop time wasting and to my knowledge Peter Ebdon has never fallen foul of these rules.
            Yes, refs have never really enforced the rule. We all know certain players are time wasting, we don't need a ref to tell us that. The day they do enforce the rule, is the day the time wasting stops. No penalty, no deterrent. Weak refs.

Comment

• I think Pro Snooker referees do a difficult job very well indeed.

Comment

I think Pro Snooker referees do a difficult job very well indeed.
                Indeed! It's a shame sometimes there is so little focus on them (which goes with the turf...I know), as I would certainly like to know more about their job and feelings and such when they are refereeing a top match. I think BBC should do a piece sometime this year on the job as a whole...would be very interesting stuff to watch.

Comment

• Originally Posted by daffie View Post
                  Indeed! It's a shame sometimes there is so little focus on them (which goes with the turf...I know), as I would certainly like to know more about their job and feelings and such when they are refereeing a top match. I think BBC should do a piece sometime this year on the job as a whole...would be very interesting stuff to watch.
                  They do a very good job, but not an excellent one. If they did an excellent job, we wouldn't even be discussing time wasting.

Comment

• I'm sure some people would still be discussing/moaning about players in the game who don't play like Ronnie or Judd no matter how good/excellent/brilliant referees do their jobs.

Very difficult to convince a fundamentalist of anything other than what they already believe even when presented with facts.

Comment

Working...
                    X