No announcement yet.

Shootout 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really like the Shootout, ok its a bit of fun but its no snooker competition. i was listening to Stephen Hendry on Monday night on talksport and he said this is really a game show, its not a snooker competition. all the music and loud crowd, 10 min frames shot times 15 and 10 seconds he thought it was just a TV entertainment show at best.

he went on to say snooker is a serious game and you cannot have players rushed to make shots as they will just make mistakes. a lot might think that quick players would do best however its not the case, i mean Ronnie never won it. last 2 were Barry Hawkins and Nigel Bond.

really its a lottery, anyone can win

Alabbadi

Comment

I don't really like the Shootout, ok its a bit of fun but its no snooker competition. i was listening to Stephen Hendry on Monday night on talksport and he said this is really a game show, its not a snooker competition. all the music and loud crowd, 10 min frames shot times 15 and 10 seconds he thought it was just a TV entertainment show at best.

he went on to say snooker is a serious game and you cannot have players rushed to make shots as they will just make mistakes. a lot might think that quick players would do best however its not the case, i mean Ronnie never won it. last 2 were Barry Hawkins and Nigel Bond.

really its a lottery, anyone can win

Alabbadi

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
        a lot might think that quick players would do best
        How do slow players do? Peter Ebdon, for example?

How long has the shootout being going for?

It seems a bit twenty20 cricket versus test matches maybe . . .

ALSO, is this the best Snooker Shootout shot ever?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivGsRHepXqA

; )
        Last edited by mythman69; 26 January 2013, 03:12 AM. Reason: added video
        My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
        I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

I enjoyed last night and the kid playing White looked very good. His opening red was cracking and he dealt with the most noise of the night. Didn't spot his odds before but same as the favourites now , think I might put him in my round two accumulated depending on the draw.

It is a fun event and makes good tv imo , let's see how Selby slows down his match later

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
            It seems a bit twenty20 cricket versus test matches maybe . . .
            That's exactly the idea behind it, they are trying to get more people interested in the game by inventing a tournament that is faster and crowd can get more involved in.....

Everyone to themselves I suppose..... But like I said earlier its definitely not for me.
            Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
            Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Obviously some people won't like this but snooker needs to be diverse and offer something for everyone. I think if this wasn't popular it would have been binned after the first or second events but with sell out crowds and everyone seems to be enjoying themselves I really don't see it being anything other than positive for the game.

Do you not appreciate the fact that these players are having to play purely on natural ability, its all about potting under pressure with a little bit of tactics in putting balls safe if you get a lead. Its still snooker and I'd argue its more pressured than a normal match. Yes luck will play a part but any snooker match has moments where luck can ultimately decide a match. I think people should stop being dinosaurs because snooker needs to change otherwise it too could become extinct.

Comment

The biggest thing I spotted last night was Whites belly, jeez, he has put on some.

Yes, his opponent ( what was his name ) looked very good, mega natural. Look forward to seeing him on the pro circuit with success in the future. Stroked the cue ball very easily.
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

Un-Nooh could be a good bet for this event and one to watch I hope, showed no nerves last night anyway.

Think i might go for this lot today :

Selby
                  Ding
                  Maguire
                  Higgins
                  Gould
                  Murphy

= 13 - 1 bet but add this

Bond

and it becomes 25-1, that might be worth a risk just not sure about selby/doherty and maguire/wenbo but not seen wenbo on tv for ages as he seems to have faded a bit since a bright start a few seasons ago at the crucible.

just added Day to the mix and its 44-1 but he is playing Xiao Guodong and i cannot remember what he is like either.

Any advice?

Comment

Any advice?
                    Yes, keep the money in your pocket or the stakes small for fun only as you're getting massively wrong odds. Un Nooh could be a good bet to win it but because it is a total lottery of a tourney, so could they all be a good bet to win it.

Each game is truly a coin toss, a 50/50 scenario, so your six bets at what should be evens each bet should equate to a 63-1 six-fold but you're only getting 13-1, a seven fold should be 127-1 and an eight fold should be 255-1.

Comment

cheers you must be good at odds, i never quite get how the multiples are worked out.

Those are from betfair, i will go round to the local bookies in a minute and have a look they might be better, i agree it is a total lottery this event really but most of the matches do seem to have a slight favourite. Wish i could a 255-1 bet on that would be nice.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                        Obviously some people won't like this but snooker needs to be diverse and offer something for everyone. I think if this wasn't popular it would have been binned after the first or second events but with sell out crowds and everyone seems to be enjoying themselves I really don't see it being anything other than positive for the game.

Do you not appreciate the fact that these players are having to play purely on natural ability, its all about potting under pressure with a little bit of tactics in putting balls safe if you get a lead. Its still snooker and I'd argue its more pressured than a normal match. Yes luck will play a part but any snooker match has moments where luck can ultimately decide a match. I think people should stop being dinosaurs because snooker needs to change otherwise it too could become extinct.
                        I'd argue there's no pressure what-so-ever. No ranking points, players taking a few before and after etc. Only a bit of fun. A beer game. Nothing more. Good entertainment but no tension or drama. If it was all like this, it wouldn't differ from 9 ball.

Comment

What about that break Selby just made? Amazing!

Comment

That answers all the Selby haters, lol..Awesome from MS..
                            JP Majestic
                            3/4
                            57"
                            17oz
                            9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by Jake O'Sullivan View Post
                              I'd stick Lisowski in that list. A decent quick fluent player when he gets going but you never know with shootouts could be a surprise winner.
                              ¨He played well in the first match for sure.
                              ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                              "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

I didn´t have the speakers on last night when Walden and Gilbert played respotted blue. What had happened if both players had potted the blue, would they have continued with pink ?
                                ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                                "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Working...
                                X