New balls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New balls?

Are they using a new type of ball at Sheffield this year?

as far as I know they are still the Aramith Tournament Champions SuperPro 1G, why have you heard anything?
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      as far as I know they are still the Aramith Tournament Champions SuperPro 1G, why have you heard anything?
      Commentators have been going on about it whole way through the tournament so far, but I haven't a clue what they've been on about.
      "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

ah, I think what they are saying is that, unlike in their day , nearly every match is played with a new SET of balls, not a new TYPE of balls and maybe the new balls give more kicks.

Comment

In commentary, Willie Thorne asked Steve Davis what he thought about the new balls this year, but Steve Davis said nothing in reply.

Anyway, new balls or not, they are still kicking like mules.

Stephen Maguire had the biggest kick I've ever seen earlier in the tournament.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            ah, I think what they are saying is that, unlike in their day , nearly every match is played with a new SET of balls, not a new TYPE of balls and maybe the new balls give more kicks.
            Maybe you could be right mate, But I was watching the game and that definitely wasn't how it sounded..... As Achamian said Steve really dodged answering the question.

But I've had a look on Saluc website and they still have the WC listed as one of the tournaments there're sponsoring this year......
            Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
            Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

yep understand now, interesting, as not heard anything about any changes to types of ball or make of ball.
              I think there is a recent new TSF member who I think works with World Snooker Services, I am sure he would know.

Comment

Yes new type of Balls this year but not 100% sure what they are??? Anybody unlighten us here!

Comment

Was talking to Andrew Pagett a few weeks ago and he said they were using new balls and they were a nightmare . He said they exagerate unwanted side more than the previous ones and also said that Mark Williams is really strugging with them .

Comment

I'm not believing any of this. Firstly to make a change like this would take a decision that would have had to be put to the players first. You can't just decide on the eve of the event to make such a dramatic change to the game by playing with a different set of balls to what these guys are used to. Secondly if this had been true surely by now with the coverage and it being such a change that the BBC would have done a piece about the change, some players would also have mentioned it, Williams is not one to keep his mouth shut if as hotpot suggested that he's struggling with them. That could have cost him his career making such a change if he's not comfortable so I think someone is making this up.

Comment

Pheraps Ferret can shed some light on it .

Comment

Yeah iv'e heard them mention this many times now, must be something in it surely ??
                        But as cueman says, more should be explained if true

Comment

This bit taken from the "can rocket tame the captain" thread
                          "At the qualifiers there was talk that the balls are too light, a possible reason for kicks" so obviously something has been changed

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                            This bit taken from the "can rocket tame the captain" thread
                            "At the qualifiers there was talk that the balls are too light, a possible reason for kicks" so obviously something has been changed
                            oh dear they accidently sent a set of Aramith Premiers, being ~10g lighter than TCs!
                            seriously, would be interesting if anyone can confirm any change, reasons behind it, or confirm no change, etc.
                            cheers

Comment

The players have known about the new balls for a few weeks now, and yes they are lighter than usual. I believe the new balls are called "Aramith Tournament Champion Superbro 1G" - can be purchased from www.cuepower.co.uk.

Comment

Working...
                              X