50+ pro players,cant compete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50+ pro players,cant compete?

why do you think older players like 40/50+ cant still compete at a high professional level,with all the knowledge & experience they have etc? eg parrot,hendry,Davis etc etc

because after dedicating themselves to practice for endless hours over decades when younger - they cant be bothered to do that any longer - If Ronnie cut out all that media crap he does and remembered he is still a snooker player he might achieve more - but he does not seen to be bothered as much these days.

Some have battle scars and some have achieved stuff already - wining is great of course but if you win and win and win - then you suddenly don't get results are you as ambitious to get it back as you were the first time you wanted to achieve something?
    Last edited by Byrom; 12 April 2017, 02:29 PM.

Comment

im not sure its that reason entirely as jimmy white reckons he works as hard at his game now as he has always done

Comment

Originally Posted by stemidd View Post
        im not sure its that reason entirely as jimmy white reckons he works as hard at his game now as he has always done
        Jimmy Never used to work on his game as much as he does now lol!

I thinks mostly down to focus and desire and maybe energy over longer matches.
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

He has also done enough drugs and drink to kill an elephant too - His health isn't the best - his whole body has collapsed - just his cueing arm working ... Jimmy probably has a few battle scars too.

Comment

Hunger and desire.
            The players mentioned have all 'been there done that'.
            Their motivation in life has changed... I mean Steve Davis wants and is a DJ who is probably somewhere studying his technique in hope of another top billing gig like the one he had at Glastonbury last year!
            Focus will determine reality... :snooker:
            "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
            National Snooker Expo
            25-27 October 2019
            http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Apart from it being harder to motivate yourself as you get older, your eyesight deteriorates which must make it difficult, especially as you don't notice it happening over the years.

Russ

Comment

Originally Posted by Russ View Post
                Apart from it being harder to motivate yourself as you get older, your eyesight deteriorates which must make it difficult, especially as you don't notice it happening over the years.

Russ
                But these days you can get laser surgery for most (non-complex) short and long sighted conditions, so I think that may have been the case but shouldn't be a huge concern now.

Comment

It probably is down to dedication or the willingness to practice and practice hard.

This thread is about 50+ but before commentators mentioned 40+ so it seems as though the life cycle of snooker players have been extended in a broader sense.

I don't know what goes on with pros but i do remember hearing Higgins saying that he's had been lazy and decided it was time to put the hours back in and he was responsible for rewards.

Whilst not to the same degree of success a similar thing happened to Mark Williams where he took his foot completely off the gas and returned to putting in crazy hours on the table and whilst not back at his best, he's general standard is alittle higher now.

I think it is largely focus and determination but snooker is a very narrow minded sport and only those who are relentless in tunnel visioning that determination and focus are consistently successful

Comment

Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
                    But these days you can get laser surgery for most (non-complex) short and long sighted conditions, so I think that may have been the case but shouldn't be a huge concern now.
                    True - even before laser treatment Dennis Taylor found the form of his life after donning the "goggles" if you are looking for a bodily reason a 50+ pro couldn't cut it with younger players there probably isn't one provided the individual is healthy and fit.

Not sure how old you are Stemidd but as you get to fifty your life experience plays a big part in your outlook. Things that once mattered a lot no longer seem to matter as much as you realise your mortality. Knocking coloured balls around a table will begin to lose as much importance in the grand scheme of things. Life will also teach you that it is easy to miss a shot, I think maybe most importantly of all this may be the main reason. It's hard to play fearless snooker when you know so much can easily go wrong. A wiley safety game may have been learned but the crunch pot wins frame and match! ; )
                    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                      True - even before laser treatment Dennis Taylor found the form of his life after donning the "goggles" if you are looking for a bodily reason a 50+ pro couldn't cut it with younger players there probably isn't one provided the individual is healthy and fit.

Not sure how old you are Stemidd but as you get to fifty your life experience plays a big part in your outlook. Things that once mattered a lot no longer seem to matter as much as you realise your mortality. Knocking coloured balls around a table will begin to lose as much importance in the grand scheme of things. Life will also teach you that it is easy to miss a shot, I think maybe most importantly of all this may be the main reason. It's hard to play fearless snooker when you know so much can easily go wrong. A wiley safety game may have been learned but the crunch pot wins frame and match! ; )
                      I think this is a very important point and I wonder if the increased importance placed on the mental side of the game is the reason some of the old guard are able to remain competitive for longer.

Comment

Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
                        I think this is a very important point and I wonder if the increased importance placed on the mental side of the game is the reason some of the old guard are able to remain competitive for longer.
                        Yes, I think this is key. The standard of the top 32 is high and therefore it's all about having and "edge" for the cream of the crop.

See that video in another thread (Ant McGill) great example of a guy in the process of sharpening that edge and looking to reach a peak.
                        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

im now 59, & stopped playing for a long time, i was quite good and a highest break of 106 with lots of 80s / 90s, in the last 6 months ive started to play again (a lot)but struggle with breaks over 40/50, its very frustrating to put your finger on why though and was the reason for my question to you enthusiasts out there

Comment

For those over fifty the conditions have changed too much from those they learned with. They used SC balls on well napped cloths and subconsciously play the same game which doesn't work as well with PR balls on very finely napped cloths. The allowances for side spin and drift of the cue ball on the nap is different, the way the PR balls contact is different because they have more friction between them.

You can be aware of this and try to change your game to suit but it's a subconscious game where conscious thought is a killer and one can't walk oneself through every shot thinking 'I must do it differently now because the old way doesn't work, the red will not drift into the centre of the middle pocket with the nap if I aim for the far jaw, it will stay on the far jaw, the cue ball won't swerve as much as it used to when I play with check side, that's why I keep missing them, I will have to stun up for the blue'.

Basically you get down and play what you've always played, and even if you don't set out to, you will occasionally lapse into your old ways and bang, you've missed again.

True you're getting on a bit, but even if your eyesight is still good and though your joints have yet to get creaky your mind is still the same; it would be akin to learning to walk again, you'd still have a little bit of a limp that no one notices but you.

Comment

I think snooker professionals should look up to Roger Federer. Aged 35, which is quite old for tennis, he's beating up and coming players with ease. The guy works on his game non stop, despite the fact that he has won it all.
                              Of course, tennis is highly physical, risk of injuries is great as years go by. But a professional snooker player not to be competitive at 40+? I just can't think of a reason why?
                              Granted, even in non physical sports such as snooker, fine motor skills must decline eventually, but compared to physical sports, participants should have much longer professional life span.

Comment

Working...
                              X