X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giggity1984
    replied
    Originally Posted by Inoffthered View Post
    Yeah, I hear ya. [Especially given] that the guy who originally played "naughty, crazy and ridiculous at times snooker" passed away a couple of years ago..
    +1 to this ^^^^^:snooker:

Leave a comment:

• vmax4steve
    replied
    Sporting fairness comes from British culture IMO, the playing fields of Eton and all that, and it went hand in hand with those born into privilege for whom losing didn't mean a loss of livelihood or even self esteem.
    That attitude filtered down to the 'lower classes' of british society and was prevelant for generations in all british sport until recently when it all went professional and dare I say it people from other cultures came into this country where that attitude wasn't a given.
    That doesn't mean to say that all people from other cultures are cheats, people are individuals after all, but other cultures don't have that history of fair play that was entrenched into ours.

Seeing as snooker players must be dressed up as gentlemens butlers in order to play the game then maybe snooker is the last bastion of this attitude in british sport, and is better for it IMO, but snooker still has a referee and if said referees always stand behind players and therefore cannot see these fouls and rely on players honesty while basically calling them cheats every time they fail to get out of a snooker then this other 'get away with it' attitude will continue to creep in.

I think that's what Mark Allen meant to say, but then again I sound like a preacher giving his own bent on the teachings of christ at a time of war.

Leave a comment:

• Looki
    replied
    Originally Posted by SnookerFan View Post
    It's okay for him to say if he feels another player has cheated. Though maybe he should be saying this to the correct authorities, no jumping to the conclusion that all Chinese players are cheats and saying it to the press. That's not constructive, that's just him being a twat.

I lived with some Chinese people in my second year of university, and was amazed by how different two cultures can be. So I can understand it can be difficult to relate to people if you don't know / understand their cultures. However, that don't mean I think they are all cheats. That's absurd. And what's even more absurd is that he continually insists on going to the press with his retarded opinions. He can't even claim it was heat of the moment as he's saying it repeatedly to a public audience.
    On the article that you posted he says

"I don't regret the comments I have made, but the way I have made them. It was unfair of me to label all Chinese players as cheats but dishonesty in snooker is something that needs to be stamped out."

What exactly is he repeatedly saying? That all chinese are cheats? For what I understood from the article that he feels it was out of order to label them all. You just told us that it's ok to say it if someone feels an individual player is a cheat. He feels that Marco Fu cheated and Cao cheated, he hasn't changed his opinion about it. So according to you that's ok?

It was stupid from him to insult chinese players like that, nobody can deny that.

Leave a comment:

• SnookerFan
    replied
    Originally Posted by Ginger Freak View Post
    It seems Allen has a rather large chip on his shoulder about China and Chinese people in general, which is a shame because some of the things he says has a good point to it, its just the way he says it makes him come across as an absolute tool!
    It's okay for him to say if he feels another player has cheated. Though maybe he should be saying this to the correct authorities, no jumping to the conclusion that all Chinese players are cheats and saying it to the press. That's not constructive, that's just him being a twat.

I lived with some Chinese people in my second year of university, and was amazed by how different two cultures can be. So I can understand it can be difficult to relate to people if you don't know / understand their cultures. However, that don't mean I think they are all cheats. That's absurd. And what's even more absurd is that he continually insists on going to the press with his retarded opinions. He can't even claim it was heat of the moment as he's saying it repeatedly to a public audience.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Freak
    replied
    It seems Allen has a rather large chip on his shoulder about China and Chinese people in general, which is a shame because some of the things he says has a good point to it, its just the way he says it makes him come across as an absolute tool!

Leave a comment:

• SnookerFan
    replied
    Originally Posted by the montrealer View Post
    HI its good that some players complain about cheating players however Allen should talk less and instead just play snooker
    I doubt most players are going round saying; "All Chinese players are cheats."

Leave a comment:

• the montrealer
    replied
    HI its good that some players complain about cheating players however Allen should talk less and instead just play snooker

Leave a comment:

• Looki
    replied
    Originally Posted by arbitrage View Post
    guess one trait of a dino is to run your mouth w/o bothering to 1-click on an item on 3.2 million pages (if you search "mark allen comments on chinese players" on google) - and then side with a blatant racist. so typically republican.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/o...-allen-1119935

“It seems to be a bit of a trait for the Chinese players because they’re have been a few instances in the past of fouls and blatant cheating going on. It needs to be corrected.

“He’s a good enough player and doesn’t have to do that.

“He looked at the referee as soon as he did it as if to say, ‘Are you not calling a foul here?’.

“I looked at Paul and I looked at Michaela who was marking the match, and spoke to my coach Terry Griffiths at the interval. He was commentating on the match.

“I was pretty confident at the time it was a foul and Terry pretty much confirmed it to me at the interval.

“It’s very sad the state of snooker if it has to go down to that, but it’s not the first time. Marco Fu and Liang Wenbo have been known for it in the past so maybe it’s just the Chinese players.”

A World Snooker spokesman has confirmed the comments will be examined by the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association.
    Hi, arb. Still mad at me?

Leave a comment:

• Inoffthered
    replied
    Originally Posted by Giggity1984 View Post
    I totally agree with both of you. The term naughty snooker really winds me up. He's got to be one of the most over rated players ever. I avoid matches with him in like the plague. He's obviously a good player, but the way the commentators bang on about him you'd have thought he was some kind of magical unicorn that shat out hamburgers on command. Lol.
    Yeah, I hear ya. [Especially given] that the guy who originally played "naughty, crazy and ridiculous at times snooker" passed away a couple of years ago..

Leave a comment:

• Inoffthered
    replied
    Originally Posted by Strickimicki View Post
    Good for him, a great player and he has the right to voice his opinions!

Brian.
    Def. x2 Agreed.

Leave a comment:

• arbitrage
    replied
    He might be honestly speaking his mind, don't mean he's correct. Marco Fu isn't a cheat. And having a go at Cao Yupeng is just sour grapes from Mark Allen. He lost a game, and threw his toys out of his pram. He seems to think he's a man of the people, or a bad boy. He's not, he's just a twat.
    guess one trait of a dino is to run your mouth w/o bothering to 1-click on an item on 3.2 million pages (if you search "mark allen comments on chinese players" on google) - and then side with a blatant racist. so typically republican.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/o...-allen-1119935

“It seems to be a bit of a trait for the Chinese players because they’re have been a few instances in the past of fouls and blatant cheating going on. It needs to be corrected.

“He’s a good enough player and doesn’t have to do that.

“He looked at the referee as soon as he did it as if to say, ‘Are you not calling a foul here?’.

“I looked at Paul and I looked at Michaela who was marking the match, and spoke to my coach Terry Griffiths at the interval. He was commentating on the match.

“I was pretty confident at the time it was a foul and Terry pretty much confirmed it to me at the interval.

“It’s very sad the state of snooker if it has to go down to that, but it’s not the first time. Marco Fu and Liang Wenbo have been known for it in the past so maybe it’s just the Chinese players.”

A World Snooker spokesman has confirmed the comments will be examined by the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association.
    Last edited by arbitrage; 30 November 2012, 04:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Giggity1984
    replied
    I agree that the commentators bigging him up is getting awfully tedious. As is the term 'naughty snooker'. It kind of turns me off him more than anything.

They did the same thing with Ronnie as well. I get how good he is, but the commentators acted like he was the greatest human being alive. It was embarrassing. John Virgo was particularly bad for that. He would waffle on about Ronnie, when Ronnie wasn't even playing.
    I totally agree with both of you. The term naughty snooker really winds me up. He's got to be one of the most over rated players ever. I avoid matches with him in like the plague. He's obviously a good player, but the way the commentators bang on about him you'd have thought he was some kind of magical unicorn that shat out hamburgers on command. Lol.

Leave a comment:

• SnookerFan
    replied
    Originally Posted by narl View Post
    Depends on your point of view, commentators and the media fawning over him as if his like has never been seen before is getting incredibly tedious. its almost like the commentators have been told to "big him up" at every opportunity, im sure for Willie Thorne thats a blessing as its a distraction from him getting every shot he calls wrong in commentary. Its more the constant droning on of these muppets about him thats starting to pee people off, and i hear plenty of people say the same thing in Snooker clubs.

So in that respect, flavour of the month? Most definitely.
    I agree that the commentators bigging him up is getting awfully tedious. As is the term 'naughty snooker'. It kind of turns me off him more than anything.

They did the same thing with Ronnie as well. I get how good he is, but the commentators acted like he was the greatest human being alive. It was embarrassing. John Virgo was particularly bad for that. He would waffle on about Ronnie, when Ronnie wasn't even playing.

Leave a comment:

• narl
    replied
    It's still not true.

Depends on your point of view, commentators and the media fawning over him as if his like has never been seen before is getting incredibly tedious. its almost like the commentators have been told to "big him up" at every opportunity, im sure for Willie Thorne thats a blessing as its a distraction from him getting every shot he calls wrong in commentary. Its more the constant droning on of these muppets about him thats starting to pee people off, and i hear plenty of people say the same thing in Snooker clubs.

So in that respect, flavour of the month? Most definitely.

Leave a comment:

• throtts
    replied
    Allen is a great player just not very watchable. Snatchy player...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X