Up to his old tricks again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up to his old tricks again

So Neil Robertson loses 3 frames on the trot and leaves the arena for 3 minutes!!!!. This isn't the first time he has done this. He won his world title by doing the same thing against Martin Gould.
    The rules are quite clear on this, yet the referees and World Snooker are scared to implement them.

By being out of the arena while your opponent is waiting to continue is, IMHO, 'Ungentlemanly Conduct' and he should be docked frames accordingly.
    You are only the best on the day you win.

They all do it, walking out of the arena after every frame. It's a very psychological game and I guess the players think that if their opponent walks out then he has one up on them unless they walk out too.

The ref can give discretion for 'comfort breaks' but when I played snooker all the time I could manage 2-3 hours and half a dozen pints of stella before I needed a 'comfort break' - it's cheating in my book and should not be allowed, players should ready themselves for the match and deal with it, they get an interval for a reason.

Bring in a penalty of 1% of your prize money for every step out, that would stop it.

Comment

it's cheating in my book
      Exactly my point. Fair enough if BOTH players walk out, but for one to do it and leave your opponent waiting is an utter disgrace.

Like you, when I played regularly, I could easily go a couple of hours without a break.

Dock frames. That's what is in the rule book and if it happens to be the decider, tough doo doos. I'd have no qualms whatsover about warning a player first and then docking frames if he/she continued.
      You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

They should wait until the player returns then leave for a few minutes to......just repeat until the other player gets the hint.
        It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Its not cheating per se but it needs to be looked at and a rule drawn up so that everyone knows how long is permitted. Robertson probably needed to compose himself. Snooker is a very psychological sport and when you have just lost 3 frames sometimes you need to get out and get your focus back. Selby has also done this plenty of times too and often takes longer than needed on some shots to keep his opponent cold. If anyone is back to their old tricks its the self proclaimed jester who is once again making matches very tactical and drawn out as its the only way he can win.

Comment

He lost the game anyway, now it's time to think how Selby cheated to win six frames in a row and how snooker is ruined because of players like him...

Comment

Yeah, that final frame to win the match was very long, drawn out and tactical. Century wasn't it?

Comment

Selby did it too in a match earlier in the week. I was wondering if he was haveing a quick sesh on the practice table he was gone that long.
                "It might not be on stats or titles but in terms of talent and the ability to play snooker erm......he's the best" Hendry's humbled words on Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Comment

Dawref. I assume you are a ref judging from your username. What guidance and advice have the tv refs been given? Do you know if there is some medical reason why certain players have to leave for the toilet and for how long? Do you know how far the toilet is from the table in York? The trouble with armchair refs like you is that you have all sorts of advice like "Cum on referee. That was never a miss", or "If I was there I would . . . ." but I suspect that if you were ever to be in that position, you are the one who would need to go to the toilet for an extended time.

Comment

Originally Posted by screw-back View Post
                    Dawref. I assume you are a ref judging from your username. What guidance and advice have the tv refs been given? Do you know if there is some medical reason why certain players have to leave for the toilet and for how long? Do you know how far the toilet is from the table in York? The trouble with armchair refs like you is that you have all sorts of advice like "Cum on referee. That was never a miss", or "If I was there I would . . . ." but I suspect that if you were ever to be in that position, you are the one who would need to go to the toilet for an extended time.
                    Certainly no advice has ever been fed down to amateur referees. To warn a player or dock frames, the referee has to make a judgemental decision that the behaviour is 'wilfully or persisiently unfair' or it amounts to 'ungentlemanly conduct'. There is no guidance in the rules as to what amounts to unfair or ungentlemanly.

I agree that some players do seem to take the **** (pun intended) and WS really ought to look t isuing some guidance.

There's one guy who take frequent loo breaks in our club... but that's usually so he can take a snort.

Comment

Working...
                    X