UK Championships S/F discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Mark Davis shock Selby today?

Personally, I doubt it. He has certainly been just as good on the table this week, but surely this is one match too far for him. He probably can't count on Selby's complacency either, as this is the SF after all, and Selby has the title in his sights. It's the kind of occasion Selby will relish, with the big stage and an evening finish to a two-session match.

Mark Davis doesn't really have a weakness in his game these days, he scores very well, is alright tactically, doesn't struggle that much to close out matches, plays pretty well under pressure... Having said that, an in-form Selby is still superior in every element, and the only real weakness could be if he thinks he can afford to save something for Murphy. He needs to take command of the match, put Davis under pressure and take advantage.

To be honest, I'm already kind of looking forward to the final, as I think Selby will do the job. But I certainly wouldn't mind a closer match and another great snooker evening. :smile: Selby to win 9-5.

Comment

I tend to agree with you Selby probably beating Davis today. However, we've seen in former tournaments a high from one particular late-stage match may turn into sort of a lackluster performance in the next match. This could apply to Selby today after his win over Robertson. But maybe with one day rest between both matches I'm sure it will prove enough to charge up the batteries and focus on the match at hand. Looking forward to it as always...just a couple of minutes to go now.

Btw that is one big-@ss tatt Mark Davis is sporting there!
      Last edited by daffie; 8 December 2012, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Well pretty much as expected so far, Mark Selby 3-0 up. Very nervy start from Mark Davis and Selby pounding away...

Comment

Except for that century it's been very scrappy so far. Selby will be delighted to have taken all three frames. I'm sure he will be pushing for a big lead now, 6-2 would be satisfactory. :smile:

Comment

Yep gonna be a bloodbath i fear

Comment

Now why is Selby following on 76 behind with 59 on! This is why I cannot warm to him, he's got a 2 frame lead and all he is doing is trying to get into the head of Davis. I hope Davis does exactly the same back to him in later frames only carry on when he needs 10 snookers. This guy needs to learn respect for the game and his opponent, very few other players would carry on here.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                Now why is Selby following on 76 behind with 59 on! This is why I cannot warm to him, he's got a 2 frame lead and all he is doing is trying to get into the head of Davis. I hope Davis does exactly the same back to him in later frames only carry on when he needs 10 snookers. This guy needs to learn respect for the game and his opponent, very few other players would carry on here.

This game is called snooker.

Comment

Originally Posted by streamer45 View Post
                  This game is called snooker.
                  No ****. But its also a spectator sport too and players have a responsibility to entertain. What Selby is doing here is completely pointless, maybe against a club player you might get 4-5 snookers but not at this level, he's just acting like an idiot.

Comment

Better frame for Davis, basically won it in one visit. He could do with the first one after the interval. :smile:

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                      No ****. But its also a spectator sport too and players have a responsibility to entertain. What Selby is doing here is completely pointless, maybe against a club player you might get 4-5 snookers but not at this level, he's just acting like an idiot.
                      Well he showed how to play very good snookers and Davis how to escape from them. Game is not all about potting. That's my view.

Comment

Originally Posted by streamer45 View Post
                        Well he showed how to play very good snookers and Davis how to escape from them. Game is not all about potting. That's my view.
                        But its wasting time and the audience, the vast majority would rather go out and get a drink or go to the toilet near the interval. If you are going to carry on in every frame when you require 4 or more snookers frames would take about an hour each. Thank god the game is more about potting than anything else otherwise nobody would ever go and watch it again.

Trump is right about certain players being too boring. We need to be entertained and I don't think playing for snookers is very entertaining, maybe one or two I can see the point but it also depends about the stage of the match too.

Comment

Bbc just showed Ali's reaction to his defeat yesterday. He was all in praise of Murphy's play and especially his long potting. Very little about him losing the match or even bad run of the ball (which wasn't the case here anway). So very very gracious in defeat...nice to see and good on him, especially considering he must be gutted.
                          Last edited by daffie; 8 December 2012, 02:49 PM.

Comment

He could easily of gotten one, and Davis may have left a free ball, then game back on, i'm pleased he at least trys for them, shows a side to snooker you don't seem to enjoy !!! I love it, if the crowd want to go out and get a drink, then they are watching the wrong sport

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                              He could easily of gotten one, and Davis may have left a free ball, then game back on, i'm pleased he at least trys for them, shows a side to snooker you don't seem to enjoy !!! I love it, if the crowd want to go out and get a drink, then they are watching the wrong sport
                              Even Parrot and Steve Davis of all people said they couldn't understand why Selby was playing on. IMO it borders on disrespect for your opponent. Its like saying I don't think you are very good and I'll keep playing snookers because you might fail to get out of one or two. Fair enough if you need a snooker or two but needing 4 or more, no not at this level. As I said against a non pro you might fluke a miss to your advantage. You and streamer are very much in the minority, even a few people on twitter have said the same!

Comment

Ohh well if twitter says i'm wrong then sorry
                                But if he managed it, then 4-0 would send a better signal than 3-1

Comment

Working...
                                X