1977 UK Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    ah ha, that one, I had this sometime ago and should have it somewhere; did not relate with the author
    thanks
    My pleasure. 👍

Comment

Thanks Achamian.

It’d be interesting to know the results of all the, what Kobylecky calls them: “Joe Davis World Champion Challenge” matches. You can imagine them at the time, carrying more public interest than the World Championship Final itself. It’s a shame Joe retired from WC play really as it devalued the event. He said he did it to “give the others a chance”, but why then did he insist on his annual match against the victor, off level terms? Clearly he had retired to protect his unbeaten WC record.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
        Thanks Achamian.

It’d be interesting to know the results of all the, what Kobylecky calls them: “Joe Davis World Champion Challenge” matches. You can imagine them at the time, carrying more public interest than the World Championship Final itself. It’s a shame Joe retired from WC play really as it devalued the event. He said he did it to “give the others a chance”, but why then did he insist on his annual match against the victor, off level terms? Clearly he had retired to protect his unbeaten WC record.
        Yes, I would love to know the results of those “Joe Davis World Champion Challenge” matches.

And I agree. I also believe Joe Davis retired to protect his unbeaten WC record.

Joe knew how to keep his reputation and also how to cash in on it. He obviously also had the snooker ability, of course.

Comment

He’s going to look them up

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post

Be nice to have 1965 and 67 on there.
            Hi Cyril
            1965 - I have added a further 114 matches I have found to the two that were there before. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any details of some 130 matches. This is quite normal with "old stuff" but the ratio is unusually heavy to the No side

Any way, onto 1967
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
            X