1977 UK Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    ah ha, that one, I had this sometime ago and should have it somewhere; did not relate with the author
    thanks
    My pleasure. 👍

Comment

Thanks Achamian.

It’d be interesting to know the results of all the, what Kobylecky calls them: “Joe Davis World Champion Challenge” matches. You can imagine them at the time, carrying more public interest than the World Championship Final itself. It’s a shame Joe retired from WC play really as it devalued the event. He said he did it to “give the others a chance”, but why then did he insist on his annual match against the victor, off level terms? Clearly he had retired to protect his unbeaten WC record.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
        Thanks Achamian.

It’d be interesting to know the results of all the, what Kobylecky calls them: “Joe Davis World Champion Challenge” matches. You can imagine them at the time, carrying more public interest than the World Championship Final itself. It’s a shame Joe retired from WC play really as it devalued the event. He said he did it to “give the others a chance”, but why then did he insist on his annual match against the victor, off level terms? Clearly he had retired to protect his unbeaten WC record.
        Yes, I would love to know the results of those “Joe Davis World Champion Challenge” matches.

And I agree. I also believe Joe Davis retired to protect his unbeaten WC record.

Joe knew how to keep his reputation and also how to cash in on it. He obviously also had the snooker ability, of course.

Comment

He’s going to look them up

Comment

Be nice to have 1965 and 67 on there.
            Hi Cyril
            1965 - I have added a further 114 matches I have found to the two that were there before. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any details of some 130 matches. This is quite normal with "old stuff" but the ratio is unusually heavy to the No side

Any way, onto 1967
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Be nice to have 1965 and 67 on there.
              Hi Cyril
              1967 done
              a better hit rate: 205 matches added.
              "only" 48 matches not found

Comment

Dean, that’s brilliant - thank you. Sorry for the delay replying but I have t been on here for months!

Comment

Dean, that’s brilliant - thank you. Sorry for the delay replying but I have t been on here for months!

No worries

FYI 68 EAC - I have started the collecting of these matches. As I say it is a rolling process in a long list - but just for you I am promoting these up the timetable

Comment

That’s very kind! The old B&S mags are decent for amateur results aren’t they. Because it was owned by the B&SCC who didn’t care so much for the professionals, the coverage of which wasn’t so good

Comment

That’s very kind! The old B&S mags are decent for amateur results aren’t they. Because it was owned by the B&SCC who didn’t care so much for the professionals, the coverage of which wasn’t so good
                      Yep great source, I also have other sources, I tend to use B&S to start and then fill in the gaps from others
                      Let's not forget that Clive Everton started at B&S in 64 (IIRC) and became editor in 1966 - before becoming uncomfortable by the interference by the governing body and went out to start World Snooker which became Snooker Scene

Comment

The B&SCC didn’t like it when Clive said anything remotely critical of them in his editorial… so they sacked him!

Comment

Did you ever find anymore of the World Championship title matches in SA?

Comment

Did you ever find anymore of the World Championship title matches in SA?
                            That is a pain that one
                            a contact of mine is trying to search local papers for anything, not heard anything for a while

Comment

I wonder if Rex would have (or remember) anything?

Comment

UPDATE: It took a while but I finally found the prize money from a search of the British Newspaper Archive.
                                Total: £7,000; W: £2,000; RU: £1,400; SF: £800: QF: £300; 2R: £100
                                Source: Manchester Evening News, p3. 15.10.77.

Comment

Working...
                                X