Tony Drago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Drago

I used to love watching him play, he was so exciting and always had a smile.

Just seen this on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVaUh...eature=related

What a player & what a break that was!
    I really miss his presence on the main tour!
    "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

it was great watching him play Thanks.
      Bring Back Clive!

Comment

Cheers Vain what a break. He is never mentioned along with Jimmy, Alex and Ronnie as the best natural player but his worth a shout all day long.
        Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
        Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Great character and incredible flair. It's one of those you can't help but miss.

Comment

I will only think of one thing when I read his name.

At the 2005 World Championship I was at stage door and suddenly I saw Tony walking towards me. With my camera in hand I took a photo of him and someone said to me "say something!" and I just blurted out the first thing that came into my head which was "Good luck Tony!"

What I had forgotten however is that he had just lost his match with Stephen Lee 10-5 and I got one hell of a glare!

Not my finest hour!
            sigpic
            http://prosnookerblog.com/

Comment

Originally Posted by Matt_2745 View Post
              I will only think of one thing when I read his name.

At the 2005 World Championship I was at stage door and suddenly I saw Tony walking towards me. With my camera in hand I took a photo of him and someone said to me "say something!" and I just blurted out the first thing that came into my head which was "Good luck Tony!"

What I had forgotten however is that he had just lost his match with Stephen Lee 10-5 and I got one hell of a glare!

Not my finest hour!
              Oh no!!!

What a player though!
              Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
              Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Indeed. Think that was the same day Mark Williams made his 147 actually, Tony was on the other table.
                sigpic
                http://prosnookerblog.com/

Comment

yeah i remember watching him on tv when i was 4, he was very good, would like to see him back again.
                  wooooooooo snookerrr

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
                    Cheers Vain what a break. He is never mentioned along with Jimmy, Alex and Ronnie as the best natural player but his worth a shout all day long.
                    he didnt win nothing ......

i know some people think (seifer Almsy) win records don't count when describing who the best players is however if you don't win you're a nobody and despite his brilliance he isn't remembered as a great player because he won nothing.

Comment

Great player to watch, but not a great player. Maybe a bit harsh, but I agree with WildJoneseye. I don't think the speed someone plays reflects their talent - I've watched exhibitions where the likes of Hendry play with much more flair, but on the table it is winning that counts. I've seen players pull off amazing shots in exhibtions, but doing it in match conditions is different and to be fair to Tony he was never the best long potter.

Comment

There's a huge difference between not being great and being a nobody. Is Tony one of the greatest player ever to play snooker? No. Is he a nobody? Come on..

I for one don't care how talented/succesful Tony is, what I know is that he's great to watch. He's one of the most natural player in the game and snooker lost a real character (and there isn't that many) when he fell off the Tour.

Comment

He certainly isn't a nobody! Got to the top 16 and to a final and few semis. So I do agree with your point - He always seemed a nice character, he has done well in pool and all the best to him.

Comment

OK saying a nobody was very harsh.....

but you get the picture ....if he had just 1 Tournament on his CV his status in the game would have gone up 20 or 30%..

Tony is seen by so many All Speed and No substance.

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
                              he didnt win nothing ......

i know some people think (seifer Almsy) win records don't count when describing who the best players is however if you don't win you're a nobody and despite his brilliance he isn't remembered as a great player because he won nothing.
                              yeah, the closest thing he ever got to winning was the Mita World Masters losing to Jimmy.
                              "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Working...
                              X