Not unique then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not unique then

Joe Davis from 1962 making the first televised 100 break. Playing at speed, left handed and dropping his elbow. Ronnie's not unique then.
    Wonder if he'll still be able to cut it like this when he's 60 years old ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW73LJKOV8I

I never tire from watching this. Joe was fast and had such a crisp cue action. Pully's little 33 clearance at the end is nice to see also.

Comment

Good that, just a shame John made a bad break off shot
      did you see the other vid of the "egg"cellent trick shot
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB8Es...eature=related

Comment

just shows the skills where still there

id love to see todays pros play on there cloths and balls they had then

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          Good that, just a shame John made a bad break off shot
          Could create a stir for suggesting this but, it is possible that John did such a break off on purpose. Although this was dubbed as a "television challenge match", it was actually more of a demonstration put together as a filler in for Grandstand to be used in the event that the outdoor sports (racing, cricket, tennis etc) got cancelled due to adverse weather conditions. They played always in the hope that one or other of the players (preferably the great Joe) would construct a big break for the viewers, which in itself was deemed to be of far greater importance than the result.

Comment

i've often wondered if the BBC still have in their archives, the other 4 frames of this television match from 1962?

Comment

its a great break, fast and skillfull. I think this mans understanding of the game was second to none. As mentioned he was dropping the elbow long before ronnie.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                Joe Davis from 1962 making the first televised 100 break. Playing at speed, left handed and dropping his elbow. Ronnie's not unique then.
                Wonder if he'll still be able to cut it like this when he's 60 years old ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW73LJKOV8I
                Just tried your link, but it said it's been removed by user??
                Any chance you could re-post it?

Thanks.

-
                The fast and the furious,
                The slow and labourious,
                All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                  Just tried your link, but it said it's been removed by user??
                  Any chance you could re-post it?

Thanks.

-
                  You only need search youtube or even google "joe davis century break". It will come up as it's on there a few times. Happy viewing.

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
                    its a great break, fast and skillfull. I think this mans understanding of the game was second to none. As mentioned he was dropping the elbow long before ronnie.
                    One of the coaches on the site may be able to comment on this but I know Joe used a very short cue, if that is the case is it possible to get a long way through the ball without dropping the elbow?

The old Scottish pro Eddie Sinclair (massively underrated and stopped from playing when in his prime) also dropped his elbow and got firther through the ball than anyone I have ever seen.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
                      You only need search youtube or even google "joe davis century break". It will come up as it's on there a few times. Happy viewing.
                      Not seen that before, thanks.

-
                      The fast and the furious,
                      The slow and labourious,
                      All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

If you read frank callans coaching book he mentions that Joe had to drop his elbow in order to get a good follow through. This was because his elbow and grip did not fall directly down in a vertical but he was slightly inside the 90 degrees. This meant if he did not drop the elbow he would not get through the white. Frank shows photos comparing his action to steve davis'. Steve was slightly outside the 90 degrees which meant he could get through the white without dropping his elbow and Frank suggests this is more accurate with less moving body parts. Hope that helps.
                        coaching is not just for the pros
                        www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Working...
                        X