WPBSA Chairman vs. Steady Eddie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WPBSA Chairman vs. Steady Eddie

Extract from and with thanks to Snooker Scene (March 89)

1989 ICI European Open, Deauville, France [Ranking event]

Eddie Charlton (Australia) beat John Virgo (England) 5-4
    56(32)-54(32), 69(33)-28, 22-73(69), 17-91(43), 5-104(39,46), 12-79(52), 67(31)-5, 65-41(41), 62(51)-8.

Charlton led 2-0; Virgo led 4-2; Charlton clawed back to 4-4.
    The ninth frame and match were decided by a carefully compiled break of 51 from Charlton but the run was never completed as Virgo conceded with his rival still at the table.
    “We all do silly things when we are disappointed but this was bad manners. I only concede a game when it is my turn at the table,” said Charlton.
    “I am saying nothing else. I’m already in trouble for beating the chairman of the board!”
    Virgo snapped back: “I think it was bad manners when he (Eddie) kicked the board behind his seat when I was on game ball in the first frame.”
    “My heel hit the back board behind my seat and John said it put him off. I apologised and told him it was an accident but regardless he should not have missed the pink,” explained Charlton.
    “It’s a good job there weren’t too many people in the audience because players like him (Eddie) are not good advertisements for the game. Professional players are supposed to make the game look easy but Eddie wins the only way he knows how: by plodding along,” continued Virgo.
    “If I’d been 100% today, I can’t see how Eddie could have beaten me.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sour grapes from the Chairman, or was the 59-year old veteran Australian trying it on?

Discuss...

Didn't know they had a ranking event in France!

Sounds like sour grapes to me, Eddie may have caused JV to miss a ball in the first frame, but the Salford Sulker still went 4-2 ahead, he only has himself to blame for blowing that lead!

At least we know where Peter Ebdon gets his inspiration from!

Comment

Lol, leave poor Peter alone please!

Originally Posted by Ginger_Freak

Comment

Interesting anecdote, thank you very much Cyril Sir.

Comment

Didn't know they had a ranking event in France!
          First and last I would say GF. Apparently the whole event was a bit of a flop. Cold, wet Deauville in the middle of February didn’t manage to bring in very many spectators.

Nevertheless, it did provide Parrott with his first ranking event victory.

Comment

Is there any sport apart from football and rugby that the French do like?

Reminds me of when the European Golf open was held at St Nomme-la-Breteche at around the same time, some of the players arrived late, didn't know where the course was, so asked a local travel guide and policeman, to which both replied, "Ou est le Golf?" (What is Golf?)!

I can imagine Snooker went down a bomb!

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril
              First and last I would say GF.
              Actually, they did go back to France, the following year, this time to Lyons. Parrott defended his title beating Hendry 10-6 for the £40,000 first prize.

Not been back since though.

Comment

By coincidence, Charlton's final appearance at the Crucible was 1992, the same year that Peter made his debut. So one could say that Plodding Peter took over Steady Eddie's mantle at those Championships.

Comment

Although, as you know Cyril, Ebdon was an exciting, quite attacking, unorthodox player back in those days.

Comment

Originally Posted by hegeland
                    Although, as you know Cyril, Ebdon was an exciting, quite attacking, unorthodox player back in those days.
                    Yes he was, to be fair. Remember that cracking blue he potted into the baulk pocket with lots of screw and side? I think it gave him a 5-4 overnight lead over Davis.

He went on to demolish Martin Clark 13-4 before Griffiths put in a vintage display to send him crashing, 13-7, in the quarters.

Got quite a lot of that game on video. Ebbo made two or three centuries, I think. Ray Edmonds was commentating for the last frame: "Terry Griffiths at his very best goes forward to the semi-finals."

Comment

Can't say I do, Cyril. I must have been about four years old then.

Would love to see that match between Ebdon and Griffiths.

Comment

Sorry hegeland, I forgot how young you are.

I think, from the outset, Ebdon was probably over confident, after all he'd played some magical snooker and standing in his way of a World semi-final place was a 45-year old, seemingly past it Welshman. However, "The Griff" was an amazing safety player and when close in, rarely lost position. All in all, he was far to experienced and on top his game for Ebdon to cope with at that stage of the Championships.

Comment

Thanks,Cyril,interesting match
                          2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                          2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril
                            Actually, they did go back to France, the following year, this time to Lyons. Parrott defended his title beating Hendry 10-6 for the £40,000 first prize.

Not been back since though.
                            A full tournament in France isn't a realistic proposition yet I don't think. We'd need a full-time pro in the Top 32 creating interest before that happens...

However, and I was only thinking this the other day. Nothing would stop Pot Black being a success here I don't think. Small venue, 7 frames in a day, different for the pros, bringing snooker to a slightly wider audience...

Wouldn't it be a good idea?

Comment

Never know, it could generate interest. The only difference with France now and England in the early 70's, in snooker terms, is that although the game was still to emerge as a television sport here, it was popular in the billiard halls and working mens clubs. So, as soon as Pot Black sparked off the interest, threre were already places to go and play. I am guessing you don't see many English Billiard tables in France?

Comment

Working...
                              X