Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walter Lindrum history . . .

Hi TSF,

I just found this page on the life of Walter Lindrum.

http://www.eaba.co.uk/eaba/?p=5787

“Lindrum to billiards is what a Shakespeare is to literature – one of those rare beings, gifted with supreme genius who only appear once in the history of a nation. I think the Lindrum period will go down to history as the golden age of the game.”

– John C Bissett (Chairman, BA&CC) 1933.

Hopefully of interest to some on here.

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
    I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

That was a good read the world will never see another player of his ability .

Comment

Probably the greatest player of all time!!! However under modern conditions I would argue that Mike Russell could be classed as his equal on fast cloths and with lighter balls. :snooker: F.

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
        Hi TSF,

I just found this page on the life of Walter Lindrum.

http://www.eaba.co.uk/eaba/?p=5787

“Lindrum to billiards is what a Shakespeare is to literature – one of those rare beings, gifted with supreme genius who only appear once in the history of a nation. I think the Lindrum period will go down to history as the golden age of the game.”

– John C Bissett (Chairman, BA&CC) 1933.

Hopefully of interest to some on here.

Great read! Love the old days. If I was around back then though I would be well rooting for Willie Smith. In them days players had so much travelling to do on trains and boats to keep the pennies coming in and promote billiards and later snooker to the world it's incredible. Nowadays it's easier and faster by plane and sports stars would not spend three weeks on a boat to oz and the after everything is over three weeks back- but the dedication the travelling players showed back then is second to none. Sets the example in my eyes. You would have to have been very cute about things in them days to make a fair lot of dosh!

Comment

Originally Posted by franksandellsnooker View Post
          Probably the greatest player of all time!!! However under modern conditions I would argue that Mike Russell could be classed as his equal on fast cloths and with lighter balls. :snooker: F.
          I would argue that today's conditions are more difficult for billiards and that by now Russell, were he playing long series of fortnight matches with his peers Sethi, Gilchrist etc, as Lindrum did with Davis and Smith, would have produced very significant feats of scoring in terms of every aspect of the game barring nurseries which are hindered by today's conditions.

Comment

i would argue WL is the greatest player ever to pick up a cue.
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
              Totally agree with that !

Check out this video.
              My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
              I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                Yea very very true as much as I root for ole Smithy I have to rate ole Wally L king of the cues!

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
                  I would argue that today's conditions are more difficult for billiards and that by now Russell, were he playing long series of fortnight matches with his peers Sethi, Gilchrist etc, as Lindrum did with Davis and Smith, would have produced very significant feats of scoring in terms of every aspect of the game barring nurseries which are hindered by today's conditions.
                  I totally agree ( with the 1st 3 words of the opening sentence ).

I think we should go back to the days of longer matches. If it's going to be a minority sport,

it might as well be one which harks back to the days of unfinished breaks being started again the next day . .

Let's head in the opposite direction to snooker, which is getting just too short with regards to match time for me,

but I appreciate it's driven by commercial goals.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X