History of a Snooker Nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of a Snooker Nut

Since some members (especially j6uk) seem to be interested in my history and what I did when and where here is a short history of my battle with snooker.

I played as a kid in my small hometown of Fort Erie, Ontario starting around 15yrs of age and was initially coached by my older cousin Woody Davidson. I doubt if I ever made a 40 break in those days plus we had big pockets and also vitalite balls which made the game a lot easier. I didn't have a car so couldn't get to Toronto to see the great players who hung out there at the Golden Mile and other clubs.

At 17yrs I joined the Canadian Navy and basically gave up snooker except for the odd day when my ship was in port and the missus would allow me to go to 'that disgusting club' which was a rare occasion. In 1978 a very good player from Nova Scotia, Kenny Shea, got me a copy of the Joe Davis book and I started to practice seriously when I could but I was still in the Navy so few and far between occasions where I could get on a table. But with the book and trying to do exactly what it said plus watching the better players in Halifax/Dartmouth I started to improve.

My first tournament was the Maritime Snooker Championships of 1978 and I made the semis and my high break was a 47. In 1979 I won the regional championships for Halifax/Dartmouth but couldn't play in the Maritimes due to Navy commitments. My first century was a 105 on 11 Jan, 1980. In both 1983 and 1984 I won the Nova Scotia provincial championships, had a 117 break in the 84 finals.

In 1982 I had run a number of centries but none in tournaments but some while I was gambling. I won a handicapped tournament at the Angle Club in Edinburgh beating Raymond Lane with a 10 start. I then got posted to headquarters and could concentrate on my snooker and I got to travel to Glasgow to visit our periscope manufacturer. In June of 1984 I had 2 tons against John Rea at the 100 Break Club in Glasgow.

In Oct 1984 I retired from the Navy and moved to Britain. Again, a number of tons against very good players but none in tournaments. Made the last 16 of the Scottish Amateur and lost to Jimmy Allen (I believe Hendry won it).

Moved to Leicester in early 1986 and started playing in pro-am tournaments every weekend. Qualified for the All-England last 16 (Northern section). Won the Leicestershire County Champs. Jan 16, missed the pink on 134 in practice. 22 March 1986 had a 114 in the Watford pro-am, first match century. Won a match against Mick Price on his table at Attak SS and had a 104.

April 1986 runner-up at Becon Leisure, lost to Paul Fryatt. Nov 1, 1986 first 147 against Frank Cavaliere (CAN pro) at the Top Spot in Glenfield. (for j6uk). Won an exhibition frame against John Virgo around this time. Magazine article in Pot Gold 'High Roller Davidson is on the Road'. I got the facts of me winning the Corvette a bit wrong as the figure on the chalk board was actually $420,000 and I took the Corvette and $5,000 in cash.

In Feb 1988 I won my first tournament at the Chester Snooker Centre, defeating Jeff Cundy, Colin Roscoe, Barry Pinches and Steve Hornby. In July 1988 I returned to Canada to get a real job so we could eat and buy a house. In 2006 and 2007 I represented Canada in the Can-Am Snooker Challenger in Las Vegas.

I had my second 147 on my home table in 1989 playing a friend who wasn't a tournament player. I had another in solo practice in 1991. The table was a 8-leg Brunswick with tighter pockets. In 1992 I quit the game as I was disgusted with the way it was being run in Ontario and eventually moved to the States for a better job. I came back in 2005 and started playing again and have since represented Canada in the IBSF World Champs in 2012 and 2013 achieving a high break of 72 this past November.

I didn't mention my coach and examiner training but those took place in 2008 and 2009 with both Nic Barrow and Terry/Wayne Griffiths.

Terry
    Last edited by Terry Davidson; 16 February 2014, 03:43 PM.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Excellent read Tel enjoyed it .

Comment

Yes Nice read terry,get my snooker history on a postage stamp lol.

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
        Yes Nice read terry,get my snooker history on a postage stamp lol.
        Ha ha Jim, mine too but it would be a complete waste of a stamp
        On Cue Facebook Page
        Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
        Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

Good stuff Terry, bet you wish you kept the Corvette, would be worth some nice money now

Comment

That is remarkable Terry, to get to the standard you played at, in such a short time, I was going to say gives hope to us forty plus players, but in reality it just depresses me as I will never be that good lol. Great post and fascinating read, can you remember who was around at that time that went on to become a top player, did you see Hendry play, what age was he then , a teenager?
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Enjoyable read, interesting how you managed to improve to that high level in such a small space of time.

I assume your current rate of progress is not what it was, is this down simply to age?

Comment

Good on you Terry.

You've likely forgotten more than most will ever know.
                The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

I'd definitely buy your book Terry, very inspiring.

Comment

Maybe you should get the pro you had your max against to e-mail this place Terry - get you added to the list

http://www.snookercanada.ca/snooker-...perfect-games/

Comment

You've not done much in your life Terry

Great read .....when is the next Max ?
                      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

To answer the questions. I can't get the pro to email snookercanada as Frank Cavaliere was murdered by his landlord sometime in the late 90's (and that's a story in itself).

I'm finding at my age it's very difficult to progress and I have to practice for a few hours on a daily basis just to stay level. My one remaining objective is to have a 147 in a tournament however I don't have any confidence I can do that at almost 69yrs of age.

As for some of the players I played in those days going on to become pros, there was a ton of them. I've played Nigel Bond and Barry Pinches who are still on the tour I believe. Some other names...Steve James, David Roe, Jon Wright, Anthony Harris, Paul Gibson, Gary Wilkinson, Martin Clark, Gary Filtness, Steve Ventham, Paul Fryatt, Robert Marshall, Stefan Mazrocis, Mark Johnson-Allen, Nigel Gilbert, Andy Snell, Mark Bennet, Tony Chappel, Darren Morgan, and a host of others I can't who I can't remember the names of. All of the names above did turn pro and some of them did quite well Darren Morgan and Gary Wilkinson being the best I guess but also Steve James and David Roe I believe made it to the top 16.

Terry
                        Last edited by Terry Davidson; 17 February 2014, 01:43 PM.
                        Terry Davidson
                        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Another story Terry........that sounds rather tragic and intriguing at the same time .
                          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Great read Terry, Jimmy Allan was a cracking player who at his best could pot them off the lampshade.

Comment

so you were about 35 the first time you made a 100 break. That is extraordinary. i have never heard of that before, i need to get back to the practice table I thought I was past it!
                              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                              X