History of a Snooker Nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    Yes, it was difficult when I was in the Navy and I basically didn't play at all for about 19 years or so with just the last 3 when I was posted to HQ in Ottawa. That was where I started playing in more tournaments in Ontario and Montreal as they were closer to Ottawa than Halifax had been.

Terry
    What was your trades in the Navy Tel? Ships, subs etc? Did you go for promotion? Curious as from the same boys club Marinewise

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      Since some members (especially j6uk) seem to be interested in my history and what I did when and where here is a short history of my battle with snooker.
      Terry
      'breaks time line of a unbelievable snooker nut' you should have named this thread tel! anyway you got nothing to prove to me fella, your love for this beautiful game is legendary. looking forwards to hearing more when you get together with bomber

Comment

CfcMicky:

I started in the Navy as a 'sparker' (Radioman) and made it up to Petty Officer (2nd class) and then they started a new Electronic Warfare branch and I transferred to that and immediately got promoted to Petty Officer 1st class but then they came to me and asked if I wanted to take my commission as they didn't have any EW officers, this included a university degree in Engineering, so I did and got a degree while being paid full salary which was great although the Navy in their wisdom compressed a 4yr degree into 3 years. Of course I never saw Electronic Warfare again.

I retired as a Lieutenant-Commander Combat System Engineering Officer in 1985 although I had 6 months of rehab time so I actually got out in 1984 and moved to Glasgow to help my wife through her physio degree while I played snooker full time.

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

j6uk:

Thanks for the kind comments. I will be scanning some of my scrapbook pages, especially the story from Pot Black and also a few photos with Thorburn and Virgo. I will be emailing them to longbomber (I think I have his email) and will try and post them in this string but as you can see from my signature block I just started supporting Nic Barrow and don't know when I'll have the time.

Terry
          Terry Davidson

Comment

Enjoyable read Terry, when you have time could you elaborate on Frank Cavaliere and the landlord incident? I'm intrigued and guessing a lot of money was involved...
            Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

southpaw:

I only heard the story a few years after it happened and probably 3rd hand but what I was told is Frank had a disagreement with his Vietnamese landlord, probably over non-payment of rent, and the landlord went into the apartment one morning with a gun and shot Frank and his girlfriend while they were sleeping.

Frank had a really bad personality and attitude and was not too well liked even by the snooker fraternity, which is saying something. He was a pretty good player but no one would gamble with him as he never had any money. I don't think he was into drugs although at that time drug were fairly prevalent among the snooker players in Toronto.

Terry
              Terry Davidson

Comment

Sounds like the character in that snooker hustler film "Number one"... who was a good snooker player but only cared about himself and treated everyone like s***...

I like others look forward to hearing more about your snooker memories in the interview...
                Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

great read Terry
                  :snooker: only 146 to go

Comment

Good Day, Terry, Enjoyed reading your snooker history, remarkable, I must say that I think you lucked out when you met your wife, I think she was meant just for you, the navy, postings etc... as you know, I was also in the Navy and know exactly what you said when you could not find the time or place to play. Well Done, too bad about the 147 not being recognized officially, I sure believe you. Im going to be 56 soon, I am still hoping to break that 100 mark, still 89 clearance from quite a few years away. Cheers Mate, Bravo Zulu
                    I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Working...
                    X