No announcement yet.

This England Snooker Documentary (1978)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This England Snooker Documentary (1978)

Not sure if this has been posted before - I couldn't find it, but apologies if it has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HVHTdyUtKc

Particularly liked listening to Jim Meadowcroft. Loved listening to him commentate but never knew what he looked like!

Never seen that before, really enjoyed it, thanks. Still waiting for the inevitable JV world champion though....

-
    The fast and the furious,
    The slow and labourious,
    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

It's been some while since I've watch that documentary. Very enjoyable indeed. It's largely forgotten now but there was a brief time in 1979 when John Virgo was the "in form" top player on the circuit. He won the UK Championships beating the World Champion Terry Griffiths and, then a few weeks later lifted the Bombay International beating Thorburn in the final 13-7.

Comment

That was lovely. Thanks for finding that.
        Richie

Class 3 referee, very average player

Comment

Brilliant! Not seen that before. Thanks for digging it up.

Can anyone identify the piece of music at 22:00? I'm sure it's from some tv show of the period, but I can't think what.

[edit] Shazam to the rescue. It's the theme tune to Rugby Special by Brian Bennet.
          Last edited by Billy; 17 November 2017, 04:18 PM.
          "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Never seen it before. The ascending Thunderbirds style full size table is very 70s James Bond villain.

Comment

Originally Posted by BarryH View Post
              Never seen it before. The ascending Thunderbirds style full size table is very 70s James Bond villain.
              Was just about to make same point.... what an idea though.
              Bet cost few quid then

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                Brilliant! Not seen that before. Thanks for digging it up.

Can anyone identify the piece of music at 22:00? I'm sure it's from some tv show of the period, but I can't think what.

[edit] Shazam to the rescue. It's the theme tune to Rugby Special by Brian Bennet.
                It was called Holy Mackerel!!!

It was in a shed load of 70s programs - I remember it being in The Sweeney too. But Rugby Special was the big one it was known for Memories!!
                #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Great find! Loved it. Paul Medati & Dennis Hughes even pop up in this.

Comment

This England Snooker Documentary (1978)

That was excellent, really enjoyed it.
                    #jeSuisByrom

Comment

Great video, loved it.

Loved watching the snooker table being made and the table coming out of the floor!
                      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Yeah great film that, can't believe how many tables there were at that Butlins place !
                        I saw Jim Meadowcroft play at the Grand hotel at Scarborough (which was owned by Butlins at the time) probably around 1975 ish

Comment

Originally Posted by mick farrell View Post
                          Great find! Loved it. Paul Medati & Dennis Hughes even pop up in this.
                          I didn't notice them. Can you point them out with timestamps?

thanks
                          Richie

Class 3 referee, very average player

Comment

No worries guys. Love finding little gems like this!

The table out of the floor was definitely a highlight for me too Shockerz!

Comment

Originally Posted by richiet View Post
                              I didn't notice them. Can you point them out with timestamps?

thanks
                              Hi. Hughes is seen at 15-45 and Medati at 16-30.

Comment

Working...
                              X