Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue World Magazine

Hi all,
    I’ve just bought a couple of magazines off eBay from 1987 and 1988. It got me thinking , when did the magazine go out of circulation ?, I can’t find any info online.
    I used to get this magazine religiously along with Snooker Scene until I stopped playing in about 1989.
    The amateur scene was widely covered in the magazine with the satellite rankings at the time. Reading some of those names in the rankings again was like a walk down memory lane.

What magazines do you read these days then , online I guess ?

Cue World stopped in March 1989
    started in Feb 1981
    I believe it came out of the ashes of "The Q World"

I have thousands of old publications, so you could say I am reading those
    Snooker Scene is the only one I has a subscription for.
    I have links to some snooker blogs/websites but I don't "read" them as such, definitely not regularly.

If you want any other magazines, I have plenty of duplications
    Last edited by DeanH; 2 April 2020, 11:05 AM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Hi Dean,

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting, I know the publishers held both SS and CW as titles. I suppose it made sense to only have one title of the same sport.
      Do you know if SS continued with the satellite rankings for amateurs playing Pro Ams ?.
      I’d be interested in having a look at any 1989 copies of Cue World .
      Im more interested in the amateur section than the rest of the magazine. Saying that I do like having a look at some of the old adverts . It gives a sense and a reminder of how huge snooker was in those days.

Did you play yourself in those days Dean ?. What made you become such a collector of those old titles ?.
      Last edited by Starsky; 2 April 2020, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
        Hi Dean,
        Interesting, I know the publishers held both SS and CW as titles. I suppose it made sense to only have one title of the same sport.
        Do you know if SS continued with the satellite rankings for amateurs playing Pro Ams ?.
        I'd be interested in having a look at any 1989 copies of Cue World .
        Im more interested in the amateur section than the rest of the magazine. Saying that I do like having a look at some of the old adverts . It gives a sense and a reminder of how huge snooker was in those days.
        I have spare copies of 1989 Jan, Feb and Mar (last issue) if you wish them.
        Get your post count to over 10 and the PM function will kick-in
        Snooker Scene did incorporate a few other titles, one back in early 70s and Cue World as mentioned.
        am sure purely down to money, if copies not being bought, no revenue, shut down
        Snooker Scene through the years has been up and down with its coverage of the amateur scene.

Old advert - I was looking at a 1929 publication the other day and saw an advert for a billiard table cloth, it was a new one to me and promised a perfect playing surface...

and its name?

Durex

Did you play yourself in those days Dean ?. What made you become such a collector of those old titles ?.
        How old do you think I am?!

I did play back then but was very lax and with a few friends, no concept of "real" play; just a laugh and a few beers with friends
        About that time I stopped playing and did not come back till 2000s

Comment

Ok, I’ll get

Comment

My post count up then

Comment

PM function - is a minimum of 10 posts plus some patience for the system to do whatever it does
              Even a logout and login maybe required.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                I have spare copies of 1989 Jan, Feb and Mar (last issue) if you wish them.
                Get your post count to over 10 and the PM function will kick-in
                Snooker Scene did incorporate a few other titles, one back in early 70s and Cue World as mentioned.
                am sure purely down to money, if copies not being bought, no revenue, shut down
                Snooker Scene through the years has been up and down with its coverage of the amateur scene.

Old advert - I was looking at a 1929 publication the other day and saw an advert for a billiard table cloth, it was a new one to me and promised a perfect playing surface...

and its name?

Durex

How old do you think I am?!

I did play back then but was very lax and with a few friends, no concept of "real" play; just a laugh and a few beers with friends
                About that time I stopped playing and did not come back till 2000s

Thanks for the info .

No idea how old you are Dean but I’m not yet 50 but used to play in those days. I was a kid back then though as you will tell if you do the math .

Durex , i can’t remember any other uses for those these days ..
                Last edited by Starsky; 2 April 2020, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I used to read Cue World every month, the bloke who made my cue advertised in it, around 1985, David Hart he was called, just passed his apprenticeship, cost me 75 quid and it's a beauty and I still play with it.
                  Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I am a 'smidge' older than you
                    I did play in my teens into early 20s then stopped as work got in the way

I started collecting with Snooker Scene back in the 2000s and then got the collecting bug and have more copies than there are holes in the published issues
                    [don't tell the wife!]
                    I have used them for match results, centuries, etc. (see CueTracker.net) as well as information about table/cue makers through the ages, the evolution of our sport

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                      I used to read Cue World every month, the bloke who made my cue advertised in it, around 1985, David Hart he was called, just passed his apprenticeship, cost me 75 quid and it's a beauty and I still play with it.
                      You’ve done well to hang on to your original cue , I wish I had

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                        I am a 'smidge' older than you
                        I did play in my teens into early 20s then stopped as work got in the way

I started collecting with Snooker Scene back in the 2000s and then got the collecting bug and have more copies than there are holes in the published issues
                        [don't tell the wife!]
                        I have used them for match results, centuries, etc. (see CueTracker.net) as well as information about table/cue makers through the ages, the evolution of our sport
                        It’s a definite look into another era, in a way it’s quite sad to see all those companies and clubs advertising but aren’t there today.
                        Hopefully the game will have another resurgence with al the interest from overseas.
                        I look at some of those names on the amateur circuit at the time and wonder what became of them. Some great players who never made it for whatever reason.

Comment

You’ve done well to hang on to your original cue , I wish I had
                          It's a bit different now though as it was a one piece at 62 inches long, I had it 3/4 jointed and a mini butt fitted about ten years ago and last year when fitting a new tip I dropped it on the floor of my garage/workshop and the rough concrete damaged the shaft about two inches from the ferrule so I cut it off to 60 inches, re-tapered the shaft to suit and fitted a stainless steel ferrule. Still works just as well or as badly as my form dictates I do miss that extra two inches though.
                          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Starsky - package in the post this morning
                            enjoy

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

It's a bit different now though as it was a one piece at 62 inches long, I had it 3/4 jointed and a mini butt fitted about ten years ago and last year when fitting a new tip I dropped it on the floor of my garage/workshop and the rough concrete damaged the shaft about two inches from the ferrule so I cut it off to 60 inches, re-tapered the shaft to suit and fitted a stainless steel ferrule. Still works just as well or as badly as my form dictates I do miss that extra two inches though.
                              Yeah , we could all do with a couple of extra inches I guess.

Did you do the repair work yourself then ?.

Did you find it altered the feeling of the cue when you had 3/4 joint out in ?

Comment

Working...
                              X