Clear All

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    Starsky - package in the post this morning
    enjoy
    Thanks Dean

Comment

Originally Posted by Starsky View Post

Thanks Dean
      only had to wait for 25mins in the sunshine before allowed in the little local PO
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

only had to wait for 25mins in the sunshine before allowed in the little local PO
        Once again thanks for doing that , especially given the current situation. You can count it as your one exercise for the day !

Comment

it was nice to get out of the house.
          I had a pharmacy run to cover any questions
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

it was nice to get out of the house.
            I had a pharmacy run to cover any questions
            Good planning !

Comment

Yeah , we could all do with a couple of extra inches I guess.

Did you do the repair work yourself then ?.

Did you find it altered the feeling of the cue when you had 3/4 joint out in ?
              I didn't 3/4 joint it or fit the mini butt but I did shorten it and do the repair work as I'm now making cues myself. The 3/4 joint was fitted right on the balance point just above the tips of the splices and although it added an extra ounce to the weight it didn't affect the feel at all..
              I wonder what became of David Hart and whether he still makes cues, anyone know ?
              Good magazine was Cue World, snooker, pool and billiards were covered, gave the dates and venues for the pro/am tour, there used to be a round played at Westward Ho around the easter weekend, went there several times to watch my mate, a ton break maker who used to enter it, standard was very high but bucket pocket tables unlike the ones at our club and my mate couldn't live with the blokes on the tour who were used to such tables. Jimmy White played there once when he was very young, not on the day I went though, my memory is a bit vague but I think he might well have won it that year.
              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

I didn't 3/4 joint it or fit the mini butt but I did shorten it and do the repair work as I'm now making cues myself. The 3/4 joint was fitted right on the balance point just above the tips of the splices and although it added an extra ounce to the weight it didn't affect the feel at all..
                I wonder what became of David Hart and whether he still makes cues, anyone know ?
                Good magazine was Cue World, snooker, pool and billiards were covered, gave the dates and venues for the pro/am tour, there used to be a round played at Westward Ho around the easter weekend, went there several times to watch my mate, a ton break maker who used to enter it, standard was very high but bucket pocket tables unlike the ones at our club and my mate couldn't live with the blokes on the tour who were used to such tables. Jimmy White played there once when he was very young, not on the day I went though, my memory is a bit vague but I think he might well have won it that year.
                I don’t think I went to Westward Ho but like you my memory is a bit vague from those days. There were so many comps to play in I forget what ones I entered , either that or it’s just age .
                I wouldn’t be surprised if Jimmy won it as a youngster , that would have been early 80’s I guess.
                The amateur section was great in Cue World and of course they had the satellite rankings and tournaments which all the amateur players of that era played in .

Do you make cues to sell or is it just for yourself ?

Where do you play nowadays ?

Comment

Do you make cues to sell or is it just for yourself ? Where do you play nowadays ?
                  I make cues to sell but not to personal specs, too much hassle involved with that. None available at the moment but as I'm now on furlough for the next month at least I shall be in the workshop everyday getiing a few ready, almost finished one.
                  I'm in Barnstaple north devon, just a social player now.

Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

I make cues to sell but not to personal specs, too much hassle involved with that. None available at the moment but as I'm now on furlough for the next month at least I shall be in the workshop everyday getiing a few ready, almost finished one.
                    I'm in Barnstaple north devon, just a social player now.
                    What a lovely place to live !. I was meant to be on holiday for a week in North Devon last week but of course that was blown out.
                    I’ve spent a lot of time fishing the rivers around Dartmoor.

Interesting you make your own , how many hours goes into making up a cue then ?.

Comment

What a lovely place to live !. I was meant to be on holiday for a week in North Devon last week but of course that was blown out.
                      I’ve spent a lot of time fishing the rivers around Dartmoor.

Interesting you make your own , how many hours goes into making up a cue then ?.
                      It can't be calculated by hours to be honest, there's so much resting time between the stages of planing so as not to allow the timber to warp that you can't have a schedule for the work, it's done when it's finished.
                      You could knock a cue out in about three days if you didn't do the resting time but it would be bound to warp. I take about a year for a shaft, taking it down in stages, resting for a month or two between, then once it's about a millimetre oversize and it's rested for at least a month the butt can be spliced on and it can be finished off in a week, but as I also work fulltime it takes me longer. I only make about five cues a year, pays my utility bills really.

Comment

Sounds like you’ve got a good side business going there and obviously something you’ve got a passion for.
                        Ive always loved the old billiard cues myself. It’s why after not playing for over 15 years I’ve recently got myself an old Riley cue to play with again.

Comment

Working...
                        X