Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a foul?

I am wondering if this is a foul?

The red object ball was just off the side cushion, about 7 or 8 inches down from the black pocket on the green side of the table. The cue ball was right behind the object ball and, it was my intention to pot the red and screw back to enable me to pot the pink in the opposite black corner pocket. I played the shot but, the cue ball jumped over the red, landed on top of the perimeter of the table and then spun back and hit the red the I was trying to pot.

My initial thoughts are, 'no foul' because I have seen an object ball roll along the perimeter top and drop into the pocket but, in my case this was the object ball and not the cue ball.

Many thanks.

I don’t think it’s a foul as you have not deliberately jumped over a ball to hit the object ball ,because there was no ball
    to jump over .As long as the ball does not leave the structure of the table it’s not a foul either ,same as the Alex Higgins shots he did a few times ,slamming the object ball so hard in to the pocket it jumps and rolls along the wooden cushion rail and drops in another pocket from the top ,no foul as the ball has not left the table.

Comment

Originally Posted by bluenose1940 View Post
      I am wondering if this is a foul?

The red object ball was just off the side cushion, about 7 or 8 inches down from the black pocket on the green side of the table. The cue ball was right behind the object ball and, it was my intention to pot the red and screw back to enable me to pot the pink in the opposite black corner pocket. I played the shot but, the cue ball jumped over the red, landed on top of the perimeter of the table and then spun back and hit the red the I was trying to pot.

My initial thoughts are, 'no foul' because I have seen an object ball roll along the perimeter top and drop into the pocket but, in my case this was the object ball and not the cue ball.

Many thanks.
      Foul
      Jump Shot
      as you said yourself "the cue ball jumped over the red"; from this I imagine that the cue ball would have hit the object ball if it had not passed over the object ball; so that is the foul.
      The cue ball landed on the opposite side of the object from where it started.
      All that happens after is not taken into account in this situation.

Playing the Jump Shot deliberately or not does not matter, it matters what the cue ball does. If the cue ball had otherwise have contacted the object ball, that is a Jump Shot which is a foul.
      Last edited by DeanH; 29 May 2021, 04:41 PM.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
        I don’t think it’s a foul as you have not deliberately jumped over a ball to hit the object ball ,because there was no ball
        to jump over
        .As long as the ball does not leave the structure of the table it’s not a foul either ,same as the Alex Higgins shots he did a few times ,slamming the object ball so hard in to the pocket it jumps and rolls along the wooden cushion rail and drops in another pocket from the top ,no foul as the ball has not left the table.
        sorry I don't get why you say this?
        OP states "the cue ball jumped over the red"

Also, playing the Jump Shot deliberately or not does not matter, it matters what the cue ball does. If the cue ball jumps the object ball, hitting it or not and lands on the opposite side; that is a Jump Shot which is a foul.
        Last edited by DeanH; 29 May 2021, 04:40 PM.

Comment

here is the rule and a breakdown, this rule really does need visualisation.

Sec 2.20. Jump Shot
          A jump shot is made when the cue ball passes over any part of an object ball, whether hitting it in the process or not,

[passes over - jumps over - any part... any part this can be just a thin edge of an object to all the way to a "full ball "jump"]

except:
          (a) when the cue ball first hits one object ball, other than a touching ball, and then jumps over another ball; or

[initially legitimately hits an object (a normal hit), this contact makes the cue ball jump up and subsequently over another ball, this is NOT a jump shot and so not a foul]

(b) when the cue ball jumps and hits an object ball, other than a touching ball, and at the moment of landing on the playing area, the cue ball is not on the far side of the current position of that object ball; or
          [the cue ball is jumping BUT when lands after a contact it has not "gone over" the object ball and lands on the same side it started, this is NOT a jump shot and so not a foul]

(c) when, after legally hitting an object ball, other than a touching ball, the cue ball jumps over that ball after hitting a cushion or another ball.
          [initially legitimately hits an object (a normal hit), then a contact with the cushion or other ball initiates the Jump and subsequently over the ball, this is NOT a jump shot and so not a foul]
          Last edited by DeanH; 29 May 2021, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Deffo foul. Dean spot on.

Comment

Definitely a foul as Dean has pointed out. In addition, a jump shot where you scoop under the cueball (rather than striking down as they do in 9 ball) and launch it is very often a double hit. That type of shot is also a foul in 9 ball for that reason, even where jump shots are allowed.

Comment

Is it a foul because the CB has left the table surface, You wouldn't deliberately play a jump shot, BTW I'm getting quite good at it
                Snooker is a game of simple shots played to perfection, Joe Davies

Comment

Originally Posted by John Flaf View Post
                  Is it a foul because the CB has left the table surface, You wouldn't deliberately play a jump shot, BTW I'm getting quite good at it
                  No - It is not a foul because the cue ball left the playing surface, it is a foul because it went over an object ball and landed on the other side.

As you know in US pool the jump shot is a shot the players perfect and have a special cue (usually shorter than usual) they use for this

Comment

Than you chaps, I am now quite clear in my mind as to what is and what isn't a jump shot. I will now have the answer firmly in mind for when I do a bit of reffing!

Special thanks to DeanH for the usual comprehensive reply.

Comment

i think it’s a foul. Cue ball jumped over object ball

Comment

Working...
                      X