chalking the tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chalking the tip

hi guys, not sure if anyone posted a question like this before, if there is any, sorry for repeating. my question is that every time i chalked the tip, it seemed like it was causing the tip to go flat, which i had to reshape it with sandpaper. I am using century g3 and triangle spruce, thanks

Just chalk it lightly. Please do not grind the chalk on the tip. The tip will flatten eventually and require a re-shape depending on its density, duration of play and the types of shots. Pressed tips are more susceptible to this as compared to their layered counterparts in general.
    Last edited by fkhan; 15 May 2022, 01:18 PM.

Comment

“EVERY” time you chalk the tip? Surely not?

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
        “EVERY” time you chalk the tip? Surely not?
        well,its not that it completely flatten, but slightly

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
          Just chalk it lightly. Please do not grind the chalk on the tip. The tip will flatten eventually and require a re-shape depending on its density, duration of play and the types of shots. Pressed tips are more susceptible to this as compared to their layered counterparts in general.
          thank you for that info, much appreciated

Comment

Lightly is key and if it squeaks when you chalk the tip it's too hard and will be using more chalk than is required which can cause bad contacts. Working in a snooker club it was interesting seeing how players used chalk. One ex-pro that was a regular used to lightly chalk from the four corners of the Triangle cube so over several months each corner would become indented with the shape of the cue tip and I never saw any other player do that and am guessing he did it because it was the best way of preventing the outer paper of the chalk from becoming exposed which could happen over time. When that happens you have to peel off the paper to stop it rubbing against the tip which leads to chalk all over the hands and face. I tried using one of his chalks and my 10mm tip was too big to fit in the gaps his 9mm tip had grooved.
            Last edited by MrRottweiler; 16 May 2022, 01:42 AM.
            www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

thank you yall for that info. there's also something i do which I'm quite sure it's a bad habit. whenever i am off the table, i have a habit of constantly chalking the cue for no reason, i think it has something to do the the nerves when playing? do you think it's the reason why I don't get much feedback when striking the ball? what mean is that it almost feels like I am striking on thin air, couldnt really "feel" the ball

Comment

Originally Posted by MrRottweiler View Post
                Lightly is key and if it squeaks when you chalk the tip it's too hard and will be using more chalk than is required which can cause bad contacts. Working in a snooker club it was interesting seeing how players used chalk. One ex-pro that was a regular used to lightly chalk from the four corners of the Triangle cube so over several months each corner would become indented with the shape of the cue tip and I never saw any other player do that and am guessing he did it because it was the best way of preventing the outer paper of the chalk from becoming exposed which could happen over time. When that happens you have to peel off the paper to stop it rubbing against the tip which leads to chalk all over the hands and face. I tried using one of his chalks and my 10mm tip was too big to fit in the gaps his 9mm tip had grooved.
                I do the diagonals of my chalk lump and as you say it moulds to the shape of the tip and even easier getting good coverage onto the tip. Then sometimes I would use the ridges created between the troughs to get specific coverage - say after a miscue
                This brings down the ridges and evens out the wear on the lump.
                I donot play as often as I would lie but a lump can last me over a year or two

There is nothing more annoying in a snooker room than a grinder squeaking away, especially when their opponent is at the table and they are oblivious to the racket they are making!
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                  There is nothing more annoying in a snooker room than a grinder squeaking away, especially when their opponent is at the table and they are oblivious to the racket they are making!
                  No they're not Dean, they're well aware

Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Working...
                  X