Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do different rules apply without an official ref.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do different rules apply without an official ref.

Hey all. As the title asks. Are there differences in rules applied when there is no referee.

My focus is on retakes/calling a miss. Although, it would be interesting to know of any other rules that might differ.

I started playing again 6 months ago after a 12 year break from the game (due to moving).

So when I have came back into playing and I have mentioned that I always played slightly different rules when there's no referee (just you and a mate knocking balls about). I have been questioning myself if I am or if was ever right to do so.

I have always played, if you fail to hit a ball when a snooker gets retaken 3 times, it can not be retook again. It can be taken from the position it lands, or the other player can take it and have a free ball if required.

I have a feeling it was set this way in my previous local club to avoid arguments about whether the miss rule applies, so it pretty much always applies unless it's obviously impossible and both agree. Then at the snookered required stage, which it never applies.

I used to play in a league years ago that used referees (players not playing that game) - so not properly official refs but proper rules were applied.

The guys I now play with have taken my rules on (probably humouring me). Although after the recent frame that had 7 or 8 misses, they asked me if this was something actually generally done or if I've just made them play random "Paul's rules" as it's now known.

So I am wondering if anyone does the same, is it the way most people play without a referee, or is it completely made up by my former locals and I should stop playing those rules and play the proper rules.

​​​​

Welcome to TSF
    Generally, when no referee is available, the non-striking player - or one of the players in the non-playing team, acts as referee.

The Foul and a Miss rule is often not applied to amateur/club games but the wording of the first line does cater for the amateur/club game and is often forgotten...

14. Foul and a Miss
    (a) The striker shall, to the best of their ability, endeavour to hit the ball on or a ball that could be on ...

Ability, watching the professional on TV events, the Miss is called nearly every time because it is deemed that the pro players have the ABILITY to hit the ball on. And only rarely is it not called in extremely difficult circumstances.
    So on the flip side, amateur/club players may not have a high level of ability so, less likely a Miss is called; and hence the option to replace the balls not required

When I play down the club, we tend to NOT apply the Miss option and leave it to the usual two options after a foul, play yourself from where the cue ball comes to rest; or put the offending player in. Non=-offending player's choice

Whatever you decide as long as you and your playing partners all agree on how you play the situations, then all should be fine. And remember, have fun
    Last edited by DeanH; 5 May 2024, 12:44 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Ah thanks for the reply.

So the way I have been playing with mates isn't a standard rule for nonreffed/amateur games then. Although if both players are in agreement, then why not.

I will give your reply to the guys I play with and let them decide.

I am guessing then, the guys from my former local wanted to have a rule that went half way. Have the miss rule in effect but didn't want it to become ridiculous for people who didn't have the ability.

Comment

That is the fun of snooker down the club with mates, you can agree whatever you want and all have a good night
        As long as you don't do something silly - like adding a gold ball worth 20points that you cant pot until the end of a maximum!!!

As long as you don't go too far off the official rules, in case you go to an event in the future and you have forgot the basics and it puts you off your game
        Last edited by DeanH; 5 May 2024, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Haha after having 12 years away, I need a lot of practice before I start playing any sort of competitive snooker haha. 10er best of 3 is as far as I go these days.

Why would you ever add an extra ball to a snooker table that can't be touched. It's like your Mrs getting a boob job and not being able to touch!

Comment

Originally Posted by Ccfcpaul View Post
            Haha after having 12 years away, I need a lot of practice before I start playing any sort of competitive snooker haha. 10er best of 3 is as far as I go these days.

Why would you ever add an extra ball to a snooker table that can't be touched. It's like your Mrs getting a boob job and not being able to touch!
            Maybe you did not catch the recent World Masters in Riyadh event, look it up on YouTube if you didn't.
            Say hi to your missus for me!
            LOL

Comment

Working...
            X