were you entertained?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• were you entertained?

With over 80 centuries this years world championship were touted by many as the best ever.
    Arguably the standard of play in the professional game has improoved over the past 20 years, regardless of cloth changes and pocket cut/enlargement

But do you find the game as entertaining?

I for one find break, loose safety 80 break, frame over, a little boring frame after frame. Whilst I am not wanting to return to the days of Perry Mans winning tournenments without makin a fifty break, is there a happy medium to be found?

Your opinions?
    Its not how well you play its how good you look playing that counts!

This championship was defiently not as good as last years.How many centuries and 2 maximums, in one competiotion. This years was pretty tedious to watch most players seemed unwilling to get over the 100 mark and content with a 80.

Comment

Ive written on a previous thread " what do you think of it so far " No i have not been entertained as much as previous years , The players who qualified failed to get close to there opponents , The semis were one horse races , i know Allen made a comeback ,but its easier when the pressure is off. ditto Robertson , he came level ,and then never potted another ball , and as for the final ,two player's one Higgins, past his best, playing his "b game " enough to win against an opponent who did not turn up , he Murphy had better sort it out, because i personally think he is the one who will plummit , down the rankings ,Too one dimensional safety not top 16,and When his long game is off , decidedly average , in the final he gifted Higgins most frames and in all bar four he got in first . I hope next year is better , i predict a player outside the top 16 will win or reach the final ,Possibly Walden .

Comment

i maybe in a minority here going by some of the above posts, but i enjoyed this year's Championship. it may not have been quite as exciting as last year but there were still many good matches to be had!

I really dont care if there are 50 or 100 tons made i would still enjoy it just as much!
        the only real disappointment for me this year was the final....nothing against John as he played brilliantly but i was hoping & expecting a really close final which i always feel rounds off a Championship nicely.

I am a die hard snooker fan through & through, & i can honestly say there has never been a Championship that i've never enjoyed!
        "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by highbreak 8 View Post
          Ive written on a previous thread " what do you think of it so far " No i have not been entertained as much as previous years , The players who qualified failed to get close to there opponents , The semis were one horse races , i know Allen made a comeback ,but its easier when the pressure is off. ditto Robertson , he came level ,and then never potted another ball , and as for the final ,two player's one Higgins, past his best, playing his "b game " enough to win against an opponent who did not turn up , he Murphy had better sort it out, because i personally think he is the one who will plummit , down the rankings ,Too one dimensional safety not top 16,and When his long game is off , decidedly average , in the final he gifted Higgins most frames and in all bar four he got in first . I hope next year is better , i predict a player outside the top 16 will win or reach the final ,Possibly Walden .
          Higgins past his best?? This years championship was no more or less as exciting as previous years. It had drama and plenty of action.
          Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
          Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Entertained ?

NO

Just don't have any respect when the game is played on tables with such easy pockets.

Now, if there had been eighty centuries on tight tables, then I would have been awestruck. As someone whose highest break is 86, made on an ultra tight table, I firmly believe that I could make a hundred on tables like those.

Comment

I didn't think that the tournament was an absolute classic but I'd not put that down to the tables or centuries, more to the lack of upsets and deciding frame finishes.
              sigpic
              http://prosnookerblog.com/

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
                i maybe in a minority here going by some of the above posts, but i enjoyed this year's Championship. it may not have been quite as exciting as last year but there were still many good matches to be had!

I really dont care if there are 50 or 100 tons made i would still enjoy it just as much!
                the only real disappointment for me this year was the final....nothing against John as he played brilliantly but i was hoping & expecting a really close final which i always feel rounds off a Championship nicely.

I am a die hard snooker fan through & through, & i can honestly say there has never been a Championship that i've never enjoyed!
                I'm with Spike on this one, the Tournament was very enjoyable.

Granted there were few shocks in the early rounds but this resulted in the strongest quarters for a long time with not one unattractive match out of the four, and some superb snooker delivered with close finishes. The semis were also superb if you watched all the sessions unfold, if you dipped in and out then you may have been dissappointed. The final could have been closer, but hats off to John Higgins, he outplayed Murphy with great matchplay snooker.

Never mind the cloths, the kicks and the centuries, I'd settle for more of the same next year.
                28th April 1985 - the day it all started!

Comment

The final may be not exicted as it should be. But for the game between Higgins/Cope and Higgins/Selby, I found it is very entertaining, not because of the centuries but the tension built up during the game.
                  Snooker will rise once again

Comment

Personally, I loved it! I watched a lot of the matches and enjoyed every one. I think the standard of play was very high indeed, the matches were nice and unpredictable, there was tension, suspense and excitement in every match and we saw the emergence of some bright new talent, the confirming of talent on the highest stage and the 'old guard' who're not willing to give up the stage just yet. Of course, the highlights were Higgins' matches against Cope and Selby, Hendry's 147 and the marvellous victory over O'Sullivan by Mark Allen.
                    I think that this one ranks alongside the very best we've ever had.
                    Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                      Entertained ?

NO

Just don't have any respect when the game is played on tables with such easy pockets.

Now, if there had been eighty centuries on tight tables, then I would have been awestruck. As someone whose highest break is 86, made on an ultra tight table, I firmly believe that I could make a hundred on tables like those.
                      I think that might be taking it a little far. The tables might not have been as tight as previous years but the conditions were the same for all players.
                      I enjoyed the tournament personally. A little anticlimactic in the final, but none the less Higgins definately deserved it this year.
                      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

I agree with Keith's post.

This year's Worlds had everything a snooker fan could hope for... including the "kitchen sink" (Robbo's pink projectile shots).
                        Championships in any sport are more than just an opportunity for high quality entertainment and wagering.
                        It is a Worldwide Showcase for Snooker... and this years really showed that our sport is alive and well and has a wonderful bright future.

The real winners?
                        Me. You. Us. Snooker!

=o)

Noel

... oh ya... and the guy who got to dance with Rod Walker
                        Last edited by noel; 6 May 2009, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Someone danced with Rob Walker? Who, and was he wearing earplugs?
                          Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                            Someone danced with Rob Walker? Who, and was he wearing earplugs?
                            Are you over 18?

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...ad.php?t=17811

=o)

Noel

Comment

Very unfortunately, yes, I am, so I looked. Bleeuuuucchh! I'm so glad my kids are outside, that's the sort of stuff to give a grown man nightmares, let alone little kids.
                              All I can say is, I really hope they had a LOT to drink, both before, to excuse themselves, and after, to forget!

Comment

Working...
                              X