Rules Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules Question

What happens if a player pots a red, the cue ball lands in the pack and he's snookered. Then he attempts to hit, say, the yellow and doesn't hit it, so Foul and a Miss is called. The player then has more attempts and hitting the yellow and misses each time and the balls are replaced. On, say, his fourth attempt, not only does he hit it but he pots the yellow. What happens? Is he on three and just carries on? The reason why I ask as it isn't really a break because he has missed.

bongo

I believe the player carries on with another red, however his original break ended on 1, and he now begins a new break on 2. So potting the next red would mean he was on a break of 3.
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

RG got it spot on.

Comment

Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
        RG got it spot on.
        Really????
        Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
        Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Really ! 100% correct. A foul ends a break. A pot starts a new break. First ball on and potted is yellow, so break starts with "2"

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
            What happens if a player pots a red, the cue ball lands in the pack and he's snookered. Then he attempts to hit, say, the yellow and doesn't hit it, so Foul and a Miss is called. The player then has more attempts and hitting the yellow and misses each time and the balls are replaced. On, say, his fourth attempt, not only does he hit it but he pots the yellow. What happens? Is he on three and just carries on? The reason why I ask as it isn't really a break because he has missed.

bongo
            Earlier answers are exactly right.

The new break starts, unusually, on a colour – but you are right in the principle that a foul must end a break, so the new break will begin with the yellow for 2, followed by a red and normal play resumes.

I did actually see it happen years ago at the Crucible, John Parrott potted a red and nestled into the back of the pack. He could see the black but played green, missed it, and when the balls were replaced he played the same shot again, except this time he knocked the green into the baulk pocket.

His original break ended on 1 (give 4) as soon as the foul occurred; his next turn started a new break with the green for 3 points.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I don't think it has ever happened to me.

Comment

Working...
              X