Exquisite cues - Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Markyboy
    Do you know what he bought? Mines was "bog standard" Red Plate but my pal opted for a Green Plate. Both "lovely" cues lol.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
      Markyboy
      Do you know what he bought? Mines was "bog standard" Red Plate but my pal opted for a Green Plate. Both "lovely" cues lol.
      not sure off the top of my head, i'm seeing him down the club thursday evening i'll ask the question and get back to you

Comment

Markyboy
        What's the difference between a red plate and a green plate cue ? Apart from the obv badge colour.

Comment

Quick question for you Anish147. Are you saying that Raymond is more expensive than Robert?
          I'm not up-to-date with cue prices but my gut feeling from the odd check on TSF, e-bay etc is that there's not much difference in prices. Difficult part is to compare like with like. No point in comparing plain ebony Red Plate Osborne with multi-spliced Green plate from Exquisite. Need to compare apples with apples.
          Do you have any specific examples of price variances. Would be interesting.
          PS Remember prices you see on e-bay are inflated cos of the extortionate fees!
          Very true, and I fully agree with your point.

I visited Robert in March this year and red plates were around £300, Green plates £500-750 approx depending on splicing, from memory.

I've seen Cohen green plate cues for £595-650 with beautiful splicing, but for £50-100 I'd just get a brand new Osborne if I had the money.

I read through some previous threads where I'm sure Raymo147 had nothing but praise for Robert's skills, dedication and pride in excellence, and I imagine Raymond has brought this experience with him in his cue making, but I'm still unsure why you'd pick the less experienced maker over his master.

ABC cues had a collection of green plate exquisites for £650 last year. eBay is not a benchmark but there's not an awful lot more to go on

Comment

Thx for the reply anish147. Always going to be difficult to get comparisons. Take your point about the difference in experience. I bought my Osborne because I was keen to own a cue made by an absolute legend in the cue making world. Nice polite helpful guy as well. I've sent him e-mails in the past and always got a helpful reply. ( unlike another famous cue maker who was downright rude).

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
              What's the difference between a red plate and a green plate cue ? Apart from the obv badge colour.
              Just look ( quality?) of the shaft from what I understand. My Red Plate has a few marks/blemishes on the maple shaft. Doesn't bother me. Would imagine if I opted for a Green Plate there would have been no marks. With the ash cues all sorts of things like arrows and grain seem to be very important to some people.

Comment

Just look ( quality?) of the shaft from what I understand. My Red Plate has a few marks/blemishes on the maple shaft. Doesn't bother me. Would imagine if I opted for a Green Plate there would have been no marks. With the ash cues all sorts of things like arrows and grain seem to be very important to some people.
                spot on. its just how the wood is graded aesthetically; this is both shaft and woods used for splicing.

Raymonds cues are top dollar but theyre no more dearer than an osborne i would think. more or less similar. i remember when raymond first started his cues werent nearly as expensive but end of the day if buyers are willing to pay that, then all credit to him for selling at those prices.

hes done well and robert reckons theyre identical in quality. one of the only differences between the two brands is how robert rounds off the base of his cue which raymond doesnt do

Comment

I wonder why they are identical in quality
                  Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                    Are we heading for another Thai gate ? ........

Comment

i was more referring to raymond being trained by robert.

you could just outright say theyre thai made if thats what you believe instead of subliminal messages. or i could be wrong altogether

Comment

The red plate Robert Osborne cues are machine turned (shafts) not hand planned from start to finished.

Thai gate??? Wasn't it JP Special Thai exquisite gate? That what I read in the forum's search function until it all got deleted.

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
                          i was more referring to raymond being trained by robert.

you could just outright say theyre thai made if thats what you believe instead of subliminal messages. or i could be wrong altogether
                          Not going to go down that route again , been batted about far too much , that ship has long since sailed . All I will say , is that some people have been told by the horses mouth .
                          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Not going to go down that route again , been batted about far too much , that ship has long since sailed . All I will say , is that some people have been told by the horses mouth .
                            I think it's the point that it has gone too far yet gestures and ambiguous statements are made referencing that they are Thai cues. Particularly when the person who doesn't want to go down that road creates such ambiguity. Think about it lol

Comment

Originally Posted by Markyboy147 View Post
                              Apparently I repeatedly say the word 'lovely'. sorry guys i'm new to the forum
                              Your not Ken Doherty are you????
                              I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

I might have acted as a catalyst in fuelling this discussion. It was all in good intention. Although it seems to have gone a little overboard. Let’s not demean anyone. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X