Clarification on non-striker rule section 4.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification on non-striker rule section 4.3

" The non-striker shall, when the striker is playing, avoid standing or moving in the line of sight of the striker. He shall sit or stand at a reasonable distance from the table and avoid making any movement or action that may interrupt the concentration of the striker." I have been having a difference of interpretation with one of my opponents. When he is standing, in my opinion, in line of sight and I ask him to move, he moves about a foot or two, still in plain sight, and declares that he is no longer in line of sight. QUESTION- is he correct? If he is correct, is it not a common snooker courtesy to move out of sight? In fact, does a striker have the right to ask a non-striker to move out of sight? I would appreciate feedback from any of the Snooker Forum" knowledgeable followers, as this has become a disruptive issue in our group. Thanks, Richard

Ideally the non-striker should not be visible at all to the striker, however some snooker clubs have tight room and it may be impossible for the non-striker to move behind the striker every time he addresses the ball.

It is considered common courtesy for the non-striker to get out of sight however if he is caught in the line of sight then he should remain absolutely still. If there is room around the table the best think is for him to sit down as usually the chairs are at least 6ft away from the table and normally at the baulk end.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I would consider that being anywhere directly in front of the striker as he aims , with say a 20 degree arc, would be direct line of sight. Given that peripheral vision is a much wider angle, unless the non-striker is behind the striker, he's likely to be visible to some extent, and should always remain as still as possible. However, in a busy club that's not going to stop players on adjoining tables etc from being visible to the striker.

Referees are always trained to, wherever possible, stand outside the arc of peripheral vision so that their movement, and particularly their white gloves against a dark background, don't distract the striker.

If the non-striker is standing still then he shouldn't really be a distraction to the striker, but if he is, then a polite request to move to one side should suffice. In professional matches, though, where a non-striker might be sitting in a designated chair, it is not reasonable for him to move, although it is etiquette that the non-striker would remain motionless during the striker's shot.

Comment

If i were you when playing that person i would do the same to him, see if it bothers him lol

Comment

Originally Posted by gauthierguy View Post
          " The non-striker shall, when the striker is playing, avoid standing or moving in the line of sight of the striker. He shall sit or stand at a reasonable distance from the table and avoid making any movement or action that may interrupt the concentration of the striker." I have been having a difference of interpretation with one of my opponents. When he is standing, in my opinion, in line of sight and I ask him to move, he moves about a foot or two, still in plain sight, and declares that he is no longer in line of sight. QUESTION- is he correct? If he is correct, is it not a common snooker courtesy to move out of sight? In fact, does a striker have the right to ask a non-striker to move out of sight? I would appreciate feedback from any of the Snooker Forum" knowledgeable followers, as this has become a disruptive issue in our group. Thanks, Richard
          I wouldn't play with that guy. Why would you play with someone who constantly does something that annoys you and when informed of it, does not stop?

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
            I wouldn't play with that guy. Why would you play with someone who constantly does something that annoys you and when informed of it, does not stop?
            So what happens when you're drawn against him ina league match or competition. Not necessarily a choice as to whether to play him or not!

Comment

Originally Posted by gauthierguy View Post
              " The non-striker shall, when the striker is playing, avoid standing or moving in the line of sight of the striker. He shall sit or stand at a reasonable distance from the table and avoid making any movement or action that may interrupt the concentration of the striker." I have been having a difference of interpretation with one of my opponents. When he is standing, in my opinion, in line of sight and I ask him to move, he moves about a foot or two, still in plain sight, and declares that he is no longer in line of sight. QUESTION- is he correct? If he is correct, is it not a common snooker courtesy to move out of sight? In fact, does a striker have the right to ask a non-striker to move out of sight? I would appreciate feedback from any of thGooode Snooker Forum" knowledgeable followers, as this has become a disruptive issue in our group. Thanks, Richard
              Good Day, I think that in most snooker halls you are not always behind the bulk due to adjacent tables, if you can sit behind bulk, you should sit there. If not pick a spot and always return to the same spot and don't move when in the crosshairs of shooter, I think that moving every time you happen to be shooting my way is a no go in my book. If you are potting the last black and ask I will move, other then that You can work out your problem by playing with a wife or girlfriend, don't know why but they love to be in the shot. Lol
              I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by SnkrRef View Post
                So what happens when you're drawn against him ina league match or competition. Not necessarily a choice as to whether to play him or not!
                1. You dig him out as a cheat in front of everyone there and shame him. You embarrass him to the point where he can't pull the cue back.

2. You ignore him. This is by far and away the second choice, if you can't ignore him for fun you probably won't be able to in a match.

You just need to be strong enough that either way it doesn't affect your game. It's also very important that you look him in the eye before and after the match and congratulate him if he wins.

Comment

Thanks for your responses, especially to Terry and SnkrRef. You have provided clear answers to my questions. My dilemma now is how to inform the opponent in question without crushing him. He has provided good service to our league over the years, so I want to cut him some slack. Any ideas?

Comment

What about referees who step towards the pocket to retrieve the ball which you are trying to pot just as you are delivering the cue......wow does that get on my nerves.....only ever do it the once though !

Comment

Working...
                    X