Snooker marker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker marker

Hi would like to know why the referee replaces the cue ball after a miss and the player who is playing the shot tells the referee that the cue ball is not placed right and the referee replaces the cue ball aproximate where the cue ball was placed before being snookered and the referee tells the playing sitting that if its all right that the cue ball is placed there.

Where we play we have a marker similar to a bingo chip made of plastic when a person is snookered and we place the marker behind the cue ball so that there is no arguement where the cue ball is placed after the shot.

You would say that they have video tape where the cue ball is placed when snookered. what happems if you have no video camera what happens then

Maybe someone knows.
    Last edited by the montrealer; 17 February 2014, 06:22 AM. Reason: wrong wording

Great idea that, it would certainly help in the cases of no video which is what a great majority of us do not have. I haven't really given it a great deal of thought yet and wonder what situations would hamper using the marker.
    I also wonder what sort of distraction the marker would pose to the striker who is already faced with a distraction of being snookered.
    Whilst I write I have just thought about the other balls which have been moved in the process of getting out of the snooker how do I remember where they are to be replaced?? can't very well use a marker behind them and some times those balls may be more important to the foul miss rule. AAAAH!
    Anyway good idea as far as the cue ball goes.

Comment

Me and my mates places 2 chalks on the table where the cueball is. One on the short and the other on the long side. If you know what I mean. If the chalks comes in the way, we just take some chalk on the fingers and mark the spots.

Comment

What is the tolerance of repositioning perfectly next to the marker? A millimeter or two? I suppose this unwittingly allows a player to play a shot that he couldn't before, which doesn't seem just.

The referee relies on both players to come to the most honest reposition of the white - if not wholly accurate, it should be true to the spirit of the shot to be taken. It is a good example of sportsmanship and an opportunity to show a respect of your opposition, but just in case, referees decision is final.

The sheer complexity that can arise in repositioning is one of the main reasons why the miss rule should not used in the amateur game.

Comment

I play in a league and the 'miss' does come up - when we play practice sessions we also play 'misses' What I do if I am in a 'miss' situation, is I do not move after I stroke the the cue ball until I hit the on ball or I just stay in position if I don't until it is decided miss or not(unless of course the that would interfere with moving balls) - I just pull my cue back to the address position and now I get the cue ball back exactly where it was and I am on line from my last shot and I am able to make whatever adjustments I need for my next attempt.

Not all misses are from snookers - this works for other 'misses' eg fine edge protruding and you
          miss

Comment

Originally Posted by davipp View Post
            Great idea that, it would certainly help in the cases of no video which is what a great majority of us do not have. I haven't really given it a great deal of thought yet and wonder what situations would hamper using the marker.
            I also wonder what sort of distraction the marker would pose to the striker who is already faced with a distraction of being snookered.
            Whilst I write I have just thought about the other balls which have been moved in the process of getting out of the snooker how do I remember where they are to be replaced?? can't very well use a marker behind them and some times those balls may be more important to the foul miss rule. AAAAH!
            Anyway good idea as far as the cue ball goes.
            HI when snookered you have to remember where the balls are in order to replace them as they were.

Comment

Working...
            X