Unique cue action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique cue action

A young lad who used to play in our club a good few years back had the strangest cue action I have ever seen. He would hold the cue with 2 or 3 inches of the but sticking out while feathering, but when he played the shot he threw the cue at the white releasing his grip and caught the cue again right at the end. I think he played in the junior leagues. Have to say he was a delight to watch as he was a big break builder and did wonders with the cue ball. I think he was at the age where women got in the way and I think he ended up playing pool.
    I tried to do what he did with the cue and had some really nice pots, It definitely stops any steering of the cue or snatching with a tight grip.

Has any one else seen a player use these techniques? Give it s go you will be amazed how the cue does all the work.

Cheers Ricky

very strange. did he play every shot like that?

Comment

Was not so noticeable on little stuns or small delicate shots but noticed I more on medium paced shots and above. Next time your down the club try it on a long shot to the corner. You will be surprised if it comes of how much the cue can do without gripping it to death.
      He play in the amateurs.

Cheers Ricky

Comment

LOL. I'm going to give it a go next time I'm at the table.

Comment

I seen a County player called Marc Petty throw his cue down the stairs once , it didn't break either and was very impressive
          It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

I will surely try.

Comment

Lol Geordie like it.

This guy had an unusual grip also, his elbow was tucked way towards his back and his grip hand was turned with his knuckles up and his thumb under the cue, truly unique but a fantastic potter. He had amazing cue power and control with extreme side was amazing.
              I have tried it a few times just with my normal grip and it works great on longer pots .

Good luck if you have a shot.
              MIND THE CLOTH

Cheers Ricky

Comment

Sounds like a slip stroke. I've never heard of a snooker player doing this, especially at a high level, but it was used by a few high profile pool players in the early to mid 20th century. Cowboy Jimmy Moore was supposed to have played like this, and I've heard Willie Mosconi also used a slip stroke.

Comment

Just found this . . .

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                  I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Thanks for that mythman, ye that's how he played but with the cue slipping as much as 3 inches. This young lad played to a high level using this technique and had regular centuries. Thanks for posting the video.

Cheers Ricky

Comment

Hands up who tried this last night and had the cue slide across the table ..........no ? ..........just me then !

Comment

I've just seen this thread and it reminded me of something. On my only visit to the Crucible in 93 there was a player called Karl Payne. He did exactly this like the guy in the vid. I remember thinking at the time that he must hold the cue really light.

Never seen it since.

Comment

I never knew it existed, cant wait to try it and miss by even further lol.
                          After 15 reds and 15 blacks i did this http://youtu.be/DupuczMS2o4

Comment

Originally Posted by scottley View Post
                            I never knew it existed, cant wait to try it and miss by even further lol.
                            Still, you may be the only person at the club using this technique to miss.

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                            I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Lol catch 22, I bet alot of you when you try it will be amazed of the out come, torn cloth, cue threw the wall and no to mention spearing your opponent. Only joking it is an amazing feeling when you get it. Highlights how much you were steering the cue on follow through with your grip before.

Cheers Ricky

Comment

Working...
                              X