Riley Elegance cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riley Elegance cues

Has anyone here played with one of these cues? Interested in any opinions on the L8 shaft performance. Thanks,

Jim

I've never seen one, I think at the selling price of around £400 it's going to be difficult for them to sell these when you could buy a great quality "normal" cue from a top maker customised to your own specifications for similar money

http://www.johnparrottcuesports.com/...-cue-1137.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kveRahQjrCs

The interviewer's last question should have been "If this cue is as good as you say it is, when will you start using it in tournaments?"

Comment

poor mark - the things we do for money eh!
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Yep, if they are trying to market it as a top end cue they could at least have done the video on a full size table playing some exhibition shots rather than have him pot a simple straight blue on what looks like a 6' home table.

Comment

Marketing guy - "We'de love to take you to the snooker club and you could play the full array of your shots with loads of side spin to demonstrate the benefits of the low deflection L8 shaft!"
          Mark - "That'll be extra"
          Marketing guy - "Could you stun in a blue on a 6 footer?"
          Mark - "Suppose so"
          Marketing guy - "Fantastic"

Comment

Thanks so much for the repliies. Having a difficult time trying to find a quality snooker cue in Canada these days. Not sure how much duty and shipping will raise the price of getting one form overseas but, there is a RELE 3 over here (not close enough that I could go try it though) and I was thinking of taking chance on it. I'm thinking it would be better than most manufactured cues here in Canada. Again, I appreciate the input here.

Comment

Depends where you are in Canada . Terry Davidson on here was selling a few cues . Drop him a PM , he may be able to help .
              Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I'd like to try one but of course there is no way anyone in the right mind would shell out £400 for a cue like this, especially knowing the 2nd hand value you would be struggling to get about £100 for it.

Could we all be a little bit over critical though about the shaft. I mean most players know the benefits of a laminated tip now, but cast your mind back to when they first hit the market and many people, myself included, felt that they were a bit of a gimmick and that in no way are they better than an elk or similar single layer tip. I felt that they were a rip off and I was happy with my 40p elk master.

Now of course I'm a hypocrite because I use a phoenix tip and won't ever go back to elks again.
                Maybe laminated shafts have moved on and could be a big breakthrough for snooker cues. They have used them in pool to good effect and if they can guarantee a certain tip of hit and make power shots and shots with spin easier, then most people would be interested in that.
                With my scepticism about laminated tips I'm not going to say they aren't good because for all we know they could be excellent.

Comment

jdhag:

I'm in southern Ontario about 25km north of Guelph. I have sold off a lot of my stock but depending on what your specs are I might have something for you at a good price. Most of my cues are in the 18oz range and normally 58" long with 9.4mm brass ferrules.

Terry
                  Terry Davidson
                  IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                    I'd like to try one but of course there is no way anyone in the right mind would shell out £400 for a cue like this, especially knowing the 2nd hand value you would be struggling to get about £100 for it.

Could we all be a little bit over critical though about the shaft. I mean most players know the benefits of a laminated tip now, but cast your mind back to when they first hit the market and many people, myself included, felt that they were a bit of a gimmick and that in no way are they better than an elk or similar single layer tip. I felt that they were a rip off and I was happy with my 40p elk master.

Now of course I'm a hypocrite because I use a phoenix tip and won't ever go back to elks again.
                    Maybe laminated shafts have moved on and could be a big breakthrough for snooker cues. They have used them in pool to good effect and if they can guarantee a certain tip of hit and make power shots and shots with spin easier, then most people would be interested in that.
                    With my scepticism about laminated tips I'm not going to say they aren't good because for all we know they could be excellent.
                    Agreed, this may be something for the future. I think it's probably going to take a Pro player to adopt this technology for it to take off, I think one problem with the Rileys one is that it is a ready made cue, most serious players wanting to spend that kind of money on a cue want one that is the ideal length, weight, tip size etc that suits their game, which your unlikely to get with a ready made one. Also as you said with Rileys being more associated with very cheap mass produced cues the second hand value of this is likely to be very very low compared to a cue from an quality maker.

Comment

the trade prices on these are unbelievably high as well, i can imagine anybody is going to stock them.
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by jdhag View Post
                        Has anyone here played with one of these cues? Interested in any opinions on the L8 shaft performance. Thanks,

Jim
                        A friend of mine, bought a few months back (Riley elegance one piece). poor quality !!!!. In my opinion, Is not the same as L8 shaft which made by JP years ago !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Most of what they have in their spiel is not actually factual. Laminated shaft does not effect deflection, reduced end mass would and actually a bit of flex. I use a laminated snooker cue because it stays straighter and can be a little thinner but retains it's stiffness.
                          also laminated tips don't create more spin that is more nonsense. Spin is generated by cue speed, point and angle of contact, tip hardness has a slight effect.

Comment

Thanks to everybody for their time and input.

Comment

Working...
                            X