Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few Questions from a Newbie

Hi all,

I've played 9-ball for a couple of years now, and I'm looking to move over to snooker. I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions I've got .

- How do I go about qualifying for professional tournaments? I've heard of 'Q School', but are there other routes, e.g. if I want to enter X tournament, I can win a bunch of qualifying matches for it to enter it? If so, where can I find information about how to enter these qualifications rounds, and when are the next few from now?
    - Are there any kind of amateur snooker events in my area? I live in Hertfordshire, near St. Albans. If anyone has contacts that'd be cool.
    - What's the standard like at Q School? Are they close to as good as the people on the TV? I wouldn't want to waste my money going there and getting my ass kicked if they're way too good at this point...!

Cheers!

The standard of the majority of entrants to Q-School is very high, and so the competition for the main tour spots is very tough. Apart from the fact that this year's deadline for entry has passed, I'd suggest you prove yourself on the amateur circuit first.

The EASB (the National Governing Body for amateur snooker and billiards in England) holds a number of events throughout the season, although we're coming to the end of this season, so I'm not sure what events are still open for entry. Check out their website at www.easb.co.uk

Might I ask how old you are? There may be additional events for U21s.

Comment

I'd add that you come within the 'south' region for EASB, so for their regionalised competitions you'd probably have to play at venues like Coulsdon, Woking, Swindon and Cambridge.

Comment

I'm 23. Cool, thanks for the information, I will check out that site!

Comment

How good are you now mate?

Comment

I don't really know, I don't have anyone to play against really, I just practise on my own for the most part. I played for around two months taking it seriously (had knocked a few balls around beforehand), have had a 128 total clearance on a lineup, another couple 100+, bunch of 80+. Probably in an actual match I'd be worse, I'm not great at dealing with pressure. I play with an American pool house cue at the moment most of the time, do own an old snooker cue but I'm more used to the pool cue now having played US pool for a couple of years (represented England recently).

Comment

If you've represented England at 9ball I don't really understand why you want to change to snooker? That said, the Q school and PTC's are way out of your league as of yet. Even the EASB tournaments will probably be a step too far for you at this point, and they don't start again until Sept/Oct time. To give you an idea of how you compare, you should enter the pink ribbon pro-am in early June at the Capital venue(SWSA). You can enter twice for £50, the money goes to charity and if you do well you get to play top pro's.
              I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Originally Posted by magicman View Post
                If you've represented England at 9ball I don't really understand why you want to change to snooker? That said, the Q school and PTC's are way out of your league as of yet. Even the EASB tournaments will probably be a step too far for you at this point, and they don't start again until Sept/Oct time. To give you an idea of how you compare, you should enter the pink ribbon pro-am in early June at the Capital venue(SWSA). You can enter twice for £50, the money goes to charity and if you do well you get to play top pro's.
                Yes, Pink Ribbon is an excellent idea. The conditions at SWSA are second to none, and players with a huge range of ability enter, purely for the fun and charitable aspect of it. Last year there were 32 pros who came in to play 32 amateur qualifiers, but this year they are hoping for a larger turnout of pros, for what seems like will be the last Pink Ribbon event.

Comment

9-ball doesn't get much sponsorship, especially outside of America, so it's difficult to make any kind of sensible income from even being one of the top players in England.

The pink ribbon event sounds cool, thanks for the info, could you give me a link please?

Comment

Originally Posted by SimbaTheLion View Post
                    The pink ribbon event sounds cool, thanks for the info, could you give me a link please?
                    http://www.swsashop.com/swsatournaments

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SWSA-...93497574094021

Comment

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally Posted by SimbaTheLion View Post
                        9-ball doesn't get much sponsorship, especially outside of America, so it's difficult to make any kind of sensible income from even being one of the top players in England.
                        It depends what you call a sensible income, but there are few snooker players who earn well, especially after deducting managers' fees, travelling and accommodation. As an example #32 in the rankings is Tom Ford at £92943 for the TWO-year period, Yu Delu on £64688 at #48 and at #64 Luca Brecel on £43850. Over two years, and after expenses that really isn't a lot of money!

Comment

Sure, by 'sensible income' I was meaning moreso along the lines of "enough so that I wouldn't have to work two jobs" .

Comment

Unfortunately Simba, with little experience of snooker it's extremely unlikely you'll be earning money from it. As SnkrRef points out you really need to be in the top 80 in the world to earn a living. If you take the top amateurs into account and then the experienced league players you're probably ranked somewhere between 3000 - 10000 in Britain alone, let alone the rest of the World!
                            I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Working...
                            X