Money List and Second Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money List and Second Jobs

With the introduction of the money list as the basis for the rankings, it will be more evident how much players on tour are making. With the introduction of more tournaments there are more opportunities for lower ranked players to make a living. I am curious what second jobs players have on tour. I am relatively familiar with players of yesteryear and their second occupation - Terry Griffiths - postman, Ray Reardon - miner, so I am more curious what today's players are doing.

double-glazing1.jpgSteve Davis sells double glazing
    "Practice Makes Perfect"
    "He Who Endures Conquers"
    "Fortune Favours The Brave"

1 piece Trevor White 8.5mm Tip,17 1/2oz,57"

Comment

John Virgo worked in the old GPO I believe
      today's player I am sure have had jobs before becoming pro, but not sure who may still have a second job as well as pro?
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Wasn't Ray reardon a policeman?
        Always a pleasure

Comment

Originally Posted by Saint Michael View Post
          Wasn't Ray reardon a policeman?
          I think he was a miner and then became a policeman which he quit to become a professional snooker player.

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
            I think he was a miner and then became a policeman which he quit to become a professional snooker player.
            became a policeman after moving to stoke after he was trapped when a mine collapsed on him
            Craftsman custom made cue
            57 inches
            17 ounces
            9 mil Wooldridge original supertip
            ash shaft plain ebony butt

Comment

think a lot of pros supplement income with coaching work and possible expeditions, know gary Wilson is a taxi driver took this up after dropping off tour first time around, lot of youngsters are pretty much full time I imagine depending on level of sponsorship they recieve
              Craftsman custom made cue
              57 inches
              17 ounces
              9 mil Wooldridge original supertip
              ash shaft plain ebony butt

Comment

I think the 'careers' cited by the OP were the early jobs of players who later turned pro, rather than as second jobs per se, weren't they?

Comment

SnkrRef, I was interested in todays players (probably from ranking 32 onwards) as to what they do to earn a crust nowadays.

Comment

Dave Gilbert only a few years back used to be a courier, as did Andrew Norman but he isn't on the tour now but works at SWSA.

Comment

I would expect lower ranked snooker pro's to have some second hand jobs occasionally. However, nothing full time which would require a university degree and a lot of years of training at work.
                      It must be a very tough choice for young aspiring snooker pro players. Do I go to university or do I give snooker 100% commitment?

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                        Dave Gilbert only a few years back used to be a courier, as did Andrew Norman but he isn't on the tour now but works at SWSA.
                        I think you'll find Andrew Norman at 106/107 in the rankings list (depending on if you look at points/prize money).

Comment

Originally Posted by SnkrRef View Post
                          I think you'll find Andrew Norman at 106/107 in the rankings list (depending on if you look at points/prize money).
                          so there we have the first answer to the OP for the current pro listing, Andrew Norman has a "day" job to support his snooker and what a good one, to work at SWSA (or whatever their new name is )
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                          X